Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse of Ret-Talus Round XIX: Light's Corruption

The Lightbringer thought to himself for a moment, and looked around the room at the panic in the eyes of these fierce warriors whom he had entrusted his life to so many times. He knew, beyond a shadow of doubt, that he must take charge. Jacob is brave champion, but he prefers to fight his battles from a distance or behind our walls of summoning. And Sybil should not have to lead yet again, as she has given two lifetimes to the cause of the Vanguards. "We have faced down many a foe," he thought, "but never has such an evil arisen from our midst." This battle would be unlike any they'd ever faced. As much as he'd like to punch his flaming fist through the heart of those that would turn against his beloved Sera, he knew skill and wit, and his burning passion for justice would be the weapons he needs to win this war. Nevertheless, striking the sobering fear of righteousness into the heart of his foes had always served him well before. "Let's start there," he whispered to himself.

No, Master Bullock, there will be no forgiveness here. Forgiveness is for our enemies once they have surrendered and begged for mercy at our feat. Not for spineless traitors. And, looking at the Honor Guard, there will be no self-sacrifice, though noble your intentions may be brave Honor Guard. These traitors will be forced to choose just like the rest of us, and have their actions examined in the cold light of day. And once we discover their true identity, and believe me, we will, then they will be brought to the midst of this gathering just as they hide right now among us, and their only mercy will be a swift death! This is more than they deserve!

Lightbringer held out his arms palms upward showing the shackles hanging off his wrists, Brothers and sisters, all warriors: I pledge to you I will not rest until this evil is expelled from our way of life. And once this little game is over... at this point he brought his left hand up into a fist in front of him and it began to glow a dark orange, the shackles melted off his wrists and in an instant his entire body burned with holy glow I will come for Farthen HIMSELF! And if he is too cowardly to face me alone on the battlefield, then rest assured, Sera and I will face down anyone who stands in our path, like we have done so many times before in the cause of good. IT. IS. NO. WONDER that another stone has found Moyra, as Farthen has shown himself unworthy to lead our people any longer! Take heart loyal Vanguards! And be warned you traitors... the cause of THE RIGHTEOUS will not be broken like these petty shackles... even from within it's ranks.

With that the Lightbringer took his seat, Lastly, he thought to himself, if these cowards take me in the night and I pass from this life to the halls of our fathers, I have made arrangements to return and fulfill my pledge. We will emerge victorious... But this will not happen overnight... gird yourselves for war my friends. Gird yourselves for war.
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Archangel said naught. He had no speeches to make, for Angels know nothing of rage or bitterness, shame or fear.
    They, alone among the Vanguards, are able to hate with a pure hatred devoid of personal trammels.
    They, alone among the Vanguards, are devoted in entirety to evil's destruction.
    It is their purpose - from which they will not be dissuaded, whether by guile or petty arguments.

So Archangel stood silently, pale hands resting upon upon the pommel of his upright sword.
    His feathered wings stirred gently in the draft of the dank dungeon, while from his hooded face tireless dark eyes pierced the gloom.

He would search out the hearts of his brethren and, if he found any evil therein, put them swiftly to death.

The way of the pure is known, but the way of the wicked will perish
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Sybil at last looked up from her knitting. She gazed into the eye of each of her young comrades and rose to her feet.

It seems to me we've got a mystery on our hands. All this youthful huffing and puffing about honor and loyalty seems important in one's youth, but villains can spout patriotic nonsense as well or better than heroes. The only thing easier to hide behind than meaningless words is silence. No, the way great detectives solve these mysteries is through getting people to speak words of substance, to stake out positions and discern the motives behind them.

But enough chatter about the theory of mystery solving, let us turn to specifics. I notice that our Sera's Honor Guard has volunteered himself for execution. He seems to be claiming that he is not one of our loyalists who is blessed with divine powers. Now if this is true, why would he announce this to the group? This allows the traitors to better target those who might have special powers. Perhaps he is divinely powered offering some sort of gambit, but in that case he draws attention to himself early and may well find himself hanged if his gambit backfires, depriving the side of good of an important power.

No, I think the more likely scenario by far is that this is the gambit of a villain who will argue that no traitor to the cause would offer himself up as sacrifice. Perhaps he is but a misguided youngling inadvertently giving the enemy information, but would that truly be the first plan to occur to such misguided youth? I say his train of thought stinks of a guilty conscience. What say you all?

Quote Originally Posted by umbrageofsnow View Post
    No, I think the more likely scenario by far is that this is the gambit of a villain who will argue that no traitor to the cause would offer himself up as sacrifice. Perhaps he is but a misguided youngling inadvertently giving the enemy information, but would that truly be the first plan to occur to such misguided youth? I say his train of thought stinks of a guilty conscience. What say you all?
    Nicholas cast his lone eye downward, shamed by Sybil's words. At 40, he hardly considered himself youth, but in comparison to the wizened one, he may well be. Still, he maintained his resolve and spoke up again.

With respect, ma'am, my offer was sincere. While I am in no hurry to die, the only outcome better than the loss of a loyal knight on the first day's voting would be the elimination of either a traitor or the sympathizer. I agree that we need more to go on than random chance, but if we end up voting without real information, I'd rather we take out a someone whose only power is a vote. I'd rather risk my life than that of, say, a visionary. Your accusation of a guilty conscience is correct, for it comes with this uniform, there is no honor guard that I know of that isn't plagued by a guilty conscience. I named the crime earlier. If you all decide to execute me anyway, I will go to my grave knowing that while the traitors may have outlasted me, at least a greater disaster has been averted. I'm willing to take that hit. Not eager, but willing.

Having said his piece, he sat down, pondering. Was this treasonous plot really general Farthens doing? Or had some deceiver taken his place. Nicholas didn't know. He didn't know the man outside of his reputation. The same was true regarding the other champions gathered here. He would have to keep his eye open, but mostly his ears. He still couldn't bring himself to look at the angel.

Sybil! Kalon said, with his eyes aglow. And then... took a deep breath. The Wise Woman was just trying to help, and she certainly has year's of experience worth considering. However...

Thank you for your discerning thoughts. You have fought many wars on behalf of the Vanguards and have earned our respect over the years. However, I assure you there is no huffing and puffing coming from this corner. The kind of leader I am can very quickly turn the tide in this situation. I need the elite of the VGs to contact me in private... out of plain sight. If you are brave enough, then do so before the first nightfall. I trust you to be creative since there are traitors in our midst. The traitors will not kill me the first night since I am just as likely to kill them in my sleep as they are to kill me in mine. But once they get the taste of blood without recompense they will become braver. I can gain valuable information for certain blessed among us, but we must act soon.

The Lightbringer looked around the room and gazed in each person's eyes, even his friend the Archangel, showing his sincerity. "We'll see," he thought... "we'll see how strong our bonds of trust are that have been built up over the years."

Then his mind wandered to some sauted brussels sprouts dusted with spicy curry powder...
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Steward furrowed his brow in discontent. The Honor Guard's forthcoming standpoint was questionable, at the least. At best, it was an honest proposal. If the honorable one dies as a noble warrior, his sins of a past life will be posthumously redeemed. If he was wrong though...
    "I don't like it."
    Steward stood up for the first time. His height made him a prominent sight, and even the champions in their midst paid him some attention. He turned to face the honor guard, with a stern but caring expression on his face.
    "You could be a symp, trying to distract us. Worse, you could be the symp with an amulet, and waste a day vote without a death at all. No, we need something better."
    Steward looked around, bumping his head on a low-hanging light fixture as he turned. He put a hand out to steady the light and hastily sat back down, embarrassed by his perpetual clumsiness.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

The Guardian Knight, Thomas removed his helm. He spoke.

"I would not be quick to jump to any conclusions the first day of Farthen's game. Surely he picked his most competent minions to play, and it seems dubious that they would be so swift to draw attention to themselves. I believe my companion's cry to be an honest one. I believe killing him would be a mistake, at least until we know more."

He turned and nodded towards Kalon.

"We soldiers give our lives daily. I am glad to know it is a good man I have served in the citadel these many years. A lord who does not turn on those who lives may be seen as less worthy, unlike some who stand in our midst. I thank you."
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

In the corner, Valentina sat with head lowered. They had taken her armor, taken her sword Swift. In nothing but civvy shirt and breeches she might as well have been naked. Yet that was not what troubled her. She had killed without Swift or her armor before. She remembered what breaking necks felt like.

What kept her gravely silent was the betrayal. Samuel had been more than a friend. He had been a general, the next best thing to God. For him to turn upon his own CO? It was treason and heresy and it would not stand.

Her mission was to defend the weak. Well, now it seemed that was Sera. And to defend her against Samuel, she would need to be stronger than ever. She clenched her fists, wishing she only knew who she had to end.

"I'm not a philosopher. I don't have my letters. I just want to figure out who to kill.

"Nicholas isn't an idiot. It's too easy to kill someone we need by mistake. I'd know.

"But Kalon's suspicious. 'Elites contact him in private'? 'Kill traitors in his sleep'? What's he talking about?"
    Last edited by prometheuslkr; 03-13-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Changed font color

Quote Originally Posted by prometheuslkr View Post
    "Nicholas isn't an idiot. It's too easy to kill someone we need by mistake. I'd know."
    Archangel spoke, his voice cold and clear as a winter's night.

"Tell us, Sister, how would you know?"
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Steward looked intently at Valentina she seemed like the smartest one here. His expression started optimistic, but had gotten more downtrodden with each subsequent person to speak up. He didn't like the uproar of dissent, especially when it was mostly against his claims. He felt the need to clarify; he didn't want these greats to disapprove of him. Clearing his throat, he began to speak.
    "Ahem."
    Steward's quiet throat clearing, kept small from his anxiousness to not mess up, did little to stop the general hum of chattering warriors. He tried again, but louder.
    "Ahem."
    A few looked over with quizzical expressions, but their attention quickly drifted.
    "AHEM."
    Now everyone was staring.
    "Oh. Uh... Hi. I... I just... I meant he was suspicious for it, not that we should kill him. If it is a symp wanting us to kill him, we'll just help him. Right?"
    He looked around nervously, and gave Valentina an apologetic shrug. Tired from all this speaking, he decided he needed to sleep.
    "And.. I guess... Uh.. Kalon? Sorry, no offense. I loved your work, especially against those Filth at Kerold Bay! But I have to say someone."
    And with that, he lay down in his cot and hoped tomorrow would bring good news.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast