Thread: Forge, forge, forge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Forge, forge, forge

Do you "need" to go first?, Do you favor your pilot action cards? Are you constantly low on ground figures and the cheese to reinforce them?

For Me, the answer is a resounding yes. It took me long enough to realize the obvious solution, that i thought i might share it with ya. I call the strategy, "Forge,forge, forge." Sounds obvious, right? Heres how it works.

When setting tilt for the first round of the game, do not set your birds to launch position, or at least not all of your birds. Then spend the round forging with every available unit, including perched birds. There is no quick way to attack the home tree in round one, so you'll basically be safe. If you positioned correctly you'll be lined up to swoop attack any newly placed units from a siege next turn, with plenty of cheese to spend for initiative. In the rounds to follow those perched birds with detour invasion from both air and ground because they can quickly point the direction of any threat when they enter launch position at round start. You can't do this trick forever, but perching and spending a round forging with every available unit is a quick way to fill the cheese wheel.

Things to remember:
    •you can only have 6 cheese at a time, it is likely you'll have more units than space for cheese on the wheel.
    •forge with the least likely figure to be needed in combat before forging with others, they should be obvious.
    •use your forging to by time while you wait for your enemy to move into a more vulnerable position.
    •Do not forge when you should be fighting. Occasionally you might absolutely need to forge for the cheese to play iron spurs next turn or something, but usually its best to focus on the fight when units are in danger.
    •be careful, this strategy is obvious, and your enemy will look for you to give up key activations forging, so they can assault you without retaliation.

Forage, Forage, Forage perhaps?

The problem with this is that by holding back units you end up allowing your opponent to execute missions, gain a positional advantage, and possibly even an initiative advantage. The way I see it, this turtling results in allowing making you play a defensive game. Even if you have cheese, you may not have the advantage. I like the idea of dedicated foragers better. Use one squad to forage, instead of execute missions, etc. But the birds need to be up in the air.

I've tried playing the defensive game, preferring to see what my opponent is going to do and then countering it as best I can, forcing them to loose forces. problem is that you can never truly predict the dice when your enemy attacks your home tree. and since they can attack the nest, and not the defenders, they can gain a severe advantage real quick if your defenders cannot take out invading forces. so, in TF I have switched to a combination of deception and interception, forcing a chess match with my opponent.
    ...the rich

I tried (failingly, appearantly) too warn of these weaknesses in my initial post. It is true this is not a stratagy to hide behind. It should only be used now and then to fill the cheese wheel, most oftenly in round one for a quick stash of cheese to start the game with.

Hello,

I personally think that's an option players can exercise and I have no issue with it. However, I do want to note that if this DOES become a problem for any particular play group, Foraging is an optional rule, and you can remove it if you wish.

Personally, I'd rather get my Birds into the action or into position, rather than forage with them while grounded. However, using a squad unit to forage early is a pretty good option, given there are many times they can't act in a round due to range.

KAM