Thread: Carry a blocker

Default Carry a blocker

Just because ground units lack the flare of flying doesn't mean they should be ignored. Your enemy will be sending them spiraling a crossed the battle field waiting to dump attacks onto a passing bird. Don't be fooled by the massive 6 attack dice you might swoop down on a leaf with, it will very rarely clear a full leaf of enemies. A failed swoop attack might leave a bird in an extremely dangerous position. This is where having a ground unit in tow to possibly drop off on the leaf (if theres room) can force those figures to burn attacks that would normal fall on your bird.

Interesting tactic. Can you swoop and drop an unit at the same time?

When you are within close range of a space you may set a carried figure down (i believe is the rule) so you could set down your "blocker" before or after the swoop attack

Great idea, might have a chance to try it tonight.

This seems like a great to stop a leaf blitz too. What I have done though, instead, is carry out a few units and drop them onto a sapling, then circle back. In the first couple rounds this can land a lot of attacks. i.e the max right now is
    3x birds 3x figures with a 4xparol mission. If you can pull that off that's potentially 6 regular attacks + 1 group attack, in one turn. That's freaking deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    This seems like a great to stop a leaf blitz too. What I have done though, instead, is carry out a few units and drop them onto a sapling, then circle back. In the first couple rounds this can land a lot of attacks. i.e the max right now is
    3x birds 3x figures with a 4xparol mission. If you can pull that off that's potentially 6 regular attacks + 1 group attack, in one turn. That's freaking deadly.
    I just use a Siege Mission to put a bunch on the Sapling, establish that fire base and control of the center.
    I always worry about transporting. had too many rats get me into a Death Spiral and end up loosing both bird and passenger
    ...the rich

Using a 'blocker' a cool idea, I'd not thought of that. I haven't played with leaves yet, and it does seem that they'll open the game up a lot more by giving ground units more mobility.

I have to say that although as you say they lack flare, ground units do seem better at 'getting the job done' than flying ones. Putting 4 Oakguard or Rat Commandoes into your opponent's tree is a lot more threatening than one or even two flyers on birds. This is just my observation from playing so far, and it may not be considering all the options, but I thought I'd mention it as the suggestion seemed to be that they're less good.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyGames View Post
    Using a 'blocker' a cool idea, I'd not thought of that. I haven't played with leaves yet, and it does seem that they'll open the game up a lot more by giving ground units more mobility.

I have to say that although as you say they lack flare, ground units do seem better at 'getting the job done' than flying ones. Putting 4 Oakguard or Rat Commandoes into your opponent's tree is a lot more threatening than one or even two flyers on birds. This is just my observation from playing so far, and it may not be considering all the options, but I thought I'd mention it as the suggestion seemed to be that they're less good.
    Yeah it turns out that ground figures play a pivotal roll on many levels beyond what i imagined, i made the post when only the rule book was available.