Thread: Snag

Default Snag

Hi,

just bought the game and trying to get to grips with the rules/tactics/strategy. Mainly reading and trying at the moment, anticipating my first game.

There is 1 thing that I find strange : Snag (standard) has no "bonus life value" , just none, while all other pilots (even rookies) have at least 1. And also his 'proficiencies' are strange, while others keep their proficiencies and get more when they get better, he loses 1 and gets 2 others. Strange, strange cards.

Anyone else find this strange ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post
    Hi,

just bought the game and trying to get to grips with the rules/tactics/strategy. Mainly reading and trying at the moment, anticipating my first game.

There is 1 thing that I find strange : Snag (standard) has no "bonus life value" , just none, while all other pilots (even rookies) have at least 1. And also his 'proficiencies' are strange, while others keep their proficiencies and get more when they get better, he loses 1 and gets 2 others. Strange, strange cards.

Anyone else find this strange ?

thanks
    I tried to resist replying because i feel i over post as it is, but i hate seeing your question un answered.

I can see how you might find it strange, i personally do not. Thats because i assume that this was an attempt to give rat players a few more options for building armies. One card having ranged proficiency and the other favoring high diced range attacks.

If you compare the lower rank snag card to other pilot cards it seems odd that it has no bonus life. But it is the lowest rank card with the defense proficiency. "Defense over life" that was my friend deathwalker always say as you might have guessed i love snag's low rank card. It's low life seems like a possitive to me, because when his comparitively high defense fails he suffers no penalty wounds when he is rescued, which reduces the over all "cost" of kamikaze and using ring outs rescue mission combo's to quickly return to the home tree.

I am positive this was intentional. I'm having trouble, however, finding my notes on exactly why this is the case... to the best of my memory: Snag's standard card reflects a certain recklessness which results in no bonus life value. As he becomes more experienced he gains that bonus life value and also varies his attack strategy to favor the melee proficiency over the ranged proficiency.

Jerry or KAM would probably know better, but that is roughly the rationale behind it and yes... I am positive it is intentional.

This was intentional. I have even written about it a couple of times. Nyphot pretty much covers the reasoning.

But I must say Ravenschild, you are the man!! Super cool analysis!!
    Always the Mice Guy!

Thanks for replying.

I must have done something wrong then (happens when you are learning the rules). In one of my tryouts I had (in turn 2) 3 Oakguard shoot at Rookie Snag and they almost (thanks to 1 oakguard who didn't hit anything) shot him to shreds. 3 wounds, so he had 1 left.

Back to the rules then...

BTW this game needs more Rookie pilots and birds... both cards and figures That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post
    Thanks for replying.

I must have done something wrong then (happens when you are learning the rules). In one of my tryouts I had (in turn 2) 3 Oakguard shoot at Rookie Snag and they almost (thanks to 1 oakguard who didn't hit anything) shot him to shreds. 3 wounds, so he had 1 left.

Back to the rules then...

BTW this game needs more Rookie pilots and birds... both cards and figures That would be awesome
    Have you checked out the Downloadable Content section? Look at the "Four Captains" scenario--You get a common rookie pilot for each faction. I realize this doesn't help with figures, but it will give you more build options.

KAM

Quote Originally Posted by KAM
    Have you checked out the Downloadable Content section? Look at the "Four Captains" scenario--You get a common rookie pilot for each faction. I realize this doesn't help with figures, but it will give you more build options.
    Yep, I already have, already printed and ready... but a home-printed and cut Rookie card on paper is no match for a 'professional' looking printed card (or should I say cardS, some who favor shooting, some who favor melee, etc...)