Thread: Triggered effects: order of declaration and opportunity window

Default Triggered effects: order of declaration and opportunity window

When a unit takes damage / is destroyed there could be multiple Reaction Spells and abilities, on both sides, that could be triggered at once.

How does it work? Do both players just state what they react with, in whatever order, then the player taking turn decides the order in which effects resolve? If one of those actions triggers reactions of its own, changing the game conditions beyond what could initially be predicted, can a player still react to the original trigger?

Example: one of my units gets destroyed. I have two Chant of Revenge in play. I exhaust one Chant of Revenge targeting an opponent's unit; they react to that with Golden Veil. Claiming that the second trigger interrupted the first trigger, I react to teh original destruction by using my second Chant of Revenge.

That would be a very M:tG way of doing things, reminiscent of how the stack works. However perhaps in this game the window of opportunity closes when both opponents are satisfied with the amount of reactions that have been played - and reacting to those reactions will not change that. This way, in my example, I could (or rather I'd have to) trigger both Chant of Revenge just to be sure nothing interferes with their activation, even if one might end up wasted.

The order in which reactions are declared in two players could still be a problem. Even though I can't imagine any with the current card pool, there could be situations in which both opponents would rather not react with nothing, but each one would play a reaction only if the other does - a cold war of sorts. Again M:tG handles this with the priority rule - the player taking turn decides wether or not to play/do something, if not the other player has that opportunity, if he passes too then the next thing bound to happen, happens.

I feel these points need to be further clarified in the FAQ, and a priority system of some sort should be estabilished - "just declare whatever the hell you want and the current player will sort the order out" will not work out great as cards are added and interactions get more complicated.

Fair points, this question has been asked in other places and the way I answered there is the active player declares any reactions to a trigger, then the inactive players in turn order, after all reactions have been declared the active player chooses an effect to trigger and resolves that effect, then chooses the next until all effects have been resolved. As per the FAQ, all effects that would trigger from a game event must be resolved before another effect can be resolved, with the exception of effects that trigger during the damage and destruction resolution process (which trigger and resolves between steps of that process.)
    Last edited by Phuzzworthy; 02-22-2016 at 12:45 PM.

That might be one way to do it, however this puts the first player at a relative disadvantage - they have to dip their hands completely, allowing the opponent to match it resource-for-resource if they can, or the luxury of not reacting if it's an appropriate response to an overreaction. At the same time the first player could be punished for playing conservatively - the opponent now has the opportunity to outdo them!
    It probably is not much of a drawback compared to the ability to choose in which order effecs are resolved, and I can't (for now) imagine a situation where this becomes really relevant...