Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glurbulb Deckbuild

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Which other 2/1 unit you get for 0 cost?
    The other choice for Glurblub is swamp archers.

So I tried a game on the wkend with changelings/RS/invaders/zealots. Champs were Turt, Sklursh, and Mingle.

I found myself using zealots more than I thought I would. Their VW generation is expensive, but in Glurblub it might be necessary. It's just simply a reliable way to build VWs. I had no problem activating RS with only 3 changelings in my hand. If anything, it meant my deck wasn't clogged and I could burn the more situational invaders and zealots.

I would probably give this deck another shot, maybe subbing Turt out for Skrub (VM germinate), and Mingle/invaders for Splack/ more RS or swamp archers. Perhaps with Splack and Skrub in there would be less need for zealots.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 05-23-2018 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdebruys83 View Post
    The other choice for Glurblub is swamp archers.
    Swamp archers cost you the same, but then if the opponent kills them he gets 2 magic. So instead of you getting one magic back you hand it to your opponent. That's a 2 card swing and means the swamp archer is again a 2 cost unit (2 cards investment, 2 cards to your opponent = swamp archer vs. 2 card investment, 1 card refund for you, 1 magic for opponent)

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    It's not difficult, but annoying. It's just like Ret Talus raising something in the early game, but in addition, you need to have the Changeling. So it's like a mix of Greater Raise + mutation summon. Also, as you mention, you need 4-5 units of each to make it reliable, and Glurblub only has 13 open common slots. In a SO summoner, I'm going to fill 66-75% of my common slots with units that can't VW-walk?
    Yeah the limited build option is the biggest complain. However, you only need 5 RM but can play 2-3 changelings only. Cause once you start the changeling + RM combo you always get the changeling back and has been mentioned by Rdebruys83 you can immediately build the RS which is also not a bad thing in general. On the other hand, changelings are just in general great even when you play them as 0 costers without any RS support in early game or to use excessive magic in lategame (copy expensive common or mutant).

I can see a 4 RM, 3 Changeling deck valid but even 5+4 still leaves 4 commons. But as typical for alliance depending on matchup you can really optimize your deck (with so many deck building option). Vs. Goat's Golems + the RM+changeling common spread should do fine while vs. defensive summoners Zelots and/or Rat's are probably also good options. Then you have heavy knights, Boardboons and savagers as interesting splash units and lots of different champ setups.

I personally also like Splack or Splub in this deck and I guess swamp archer + vine bind can be pretty cool as well but haven't tried. Urick is great as usual but Bodgan is also viable in this deck.

I definitely like the idea of 5AV worth of VW sow. it adds more punch and certainty to VW generation.

Initially I was thinking of more of a turtling build, but it didn't turn out that way.

And come to think of it, doesn't Zur Lak do what you would want Splub and Glurb to do? Take a little damage, deal a little damage, and generate vine walls? then again, why not throw them both in? You would have a hell of a time crawling through the two of them to get to Glurb.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 05-23-2018 at 09:19 PM.

If there is one deck, where Zur-lak is working then its probably this deck. However, I personally really do not like him for several reasons
    1) He needs to come out and make his 4 AV work and not be wasted on a 1-2 life unit, cause in subsequent turns his AV will likely drop. So playing him in the right time is really difficult
    2) 8 cost is pretty hefty to build up and you opponent can easily prepare for a big champ coming which further makes 1) more difficult. Further with 8 cost it's often not easy to play 3 champs if the other two are not low magic cost (sprong, glarg would work for example)
    3) BIGGEST problem - he can't VW walk. This is especially bad in Glurblub, as you want your vines as much as possible in the enemy territory, but then Zur-lak can't advance.

I don't see the need for Glurblub to spread a crazy amount of VW. They are not the crowding tool they are in Natazga or Mugglugg but more additional summon spots. That's why 2 VW on the opponent side of the battlefield are all you want IMO. I would not play more than 1 of the 3 VW generating Champs (Splack, Splub or ZurLak) and instead go for efficiant champs (Turt, Prong, Glarg or Murk) or utility champs (Etch, Urik, Bodgan or Rath - even Kogar can be of use)

I like zur lak in Natazga :S

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    That's okay, but higher variance. Similar situation with Sklursh.

I play Nat a lot, and the path of consistency is enough similarly priced units that can throw regular 3 dice at walls.

That means always Prong and Savagers (except vs. Shifters, I guess), then I usually devote only 11 more champ cost, to either Mik/Glarg and either Glurp/Turt.

In particular, Glurp saves 2 magic over ZL, and doesn't stop throwing 4s. Nat's ability combined with the huge immediate threat posed by Glurp on a wall, almost always means that she has no problem waiting to play any events until opponent has spent resources/taken vine damage/exposed units in order to bring down Glurp. His negative ability is way, way less bad in a 3-attack heavy Nat deck than in Mugglugg or Glurblub.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I’ve packed him a couple times but he’s always been buried for me. I actually like him in Mugglug where you can protect his health and AV via Vine Guard, and up him to 5AV and vinewalking capability with ambush.

@Gogajein. In Nat, for a damage common that can’t Vine wall wall I actually prefer skulltaker and for one that can walk, the Swordsnan. I think Savager is a fortune in Magic for a Unit with unreliable ability that can die in one turn. But I may play nat a little differently than you. That said, I don’t pretend to have a sophisticated strategy for Nat, as I’ve probably only played about 10 games with her so far.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    I’ve packed him a couple times but he’s always been buried for me. I actually like him in Mugglug where you can protect his health and AV via Vine Guard, and up him to 5AV and vinewalking capability with ambush.

@Gogajein. In Nat, for a damage common that can’t Vine wall wall I actually prefer skulltaker and for one that can walk, the Swordsnan. I think Savager is a fortune in Magic for a Unit with unreliable ability that can die in one turn. But I may play nat a little differently than you. That said, I don’t pretend to have a sophisticated strategy for Nat, as I’ve probably only played about 10 games with her so far.
    Savagers are less likely to die in one turn with vines around, other than to common hate cards (where you'd naturally avoid them anyway).

The issue is that while their own ability is unreliable, they make two important things reliable:

(1) Natazga's ability
    (2) Natazga's early game draw (to a unit that makes her ability reliable)

She wants to choke off summon points and threaten the life of walls as fast as she can, without burning through a ton of early cards.

She's one of the worst summoners in a slow-developing game.

So, 3-4 Savagers plus Prong, Glurp, Glarg, Turt and the like make it extremely unlikely that they'll all be bottom-decked, and then when one appears it'll give her 20/27 to spawn a vine (or 8/9 for Glurp), instead of praying for a bunch of early 4/9 rolls.

People will of course mention Erosion to make Nat's ability reliable, but the huge reason for throwing three dice at walls is that your Erosion cards can be saved for coup de grace turns where you either completely cut off remaining summoning spots or annihilate multiple walls. In other words, you can either deckbuild to use Erosion as a patch for an unreliable summoner ability, or build to use it as one of the few greatest events in the game.

We always talk about how huge the difference is in SW between 1av and 2av. Natazga's ability and ideal playstyle change the crucial gap, to that between 2av-3av.

EDIT: I ought to mention also that I hate Skull Takers, who have a terrible ability if not timed correctly with both their event and a champ. I hate depending upon the shuffle in Nat even more than with the average summoner. Swamp Rats are pretty good for choking off remaining summoning spots after an enemy is killed next to a wall, and Conjurers are great in her endgame (funny to use them on a doomed wall to remove one of the blocking vines, then put it right back). I think a lot of commons are fine in Nat under different circumstances -- the only one I'll probably never play is Boarboon. (Save 1 magic for a Savager with no ability at all and a valuable 3av that expires after a turn? Nope. Boons are Rallul troops.)
    Last edited by gojaejin; 06-03-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast