Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering if I should take the plunge?

Default Wondering if I should take the plunge?

So I am undecided about Ashes. When playtesting first came out I instantly was very interested, but after checking out the rules and cards I wasn't as thrilled (mainly because I'm really lazy and didn't feel like making the custom dice). I am still torn.

Don't get me wrong, the art is amazing, the people who playtested it I know did a wonderful job, and those dice look really cool too and there are a couple of other little tidbits that make the game enticing.

However, I already play Summoner Wars (and not even that much of that anymore (Who knew having a kid would take up gaming time?). I also play MtG on occasion and the person I usually play these types of games with is a huge MtG fan. We also play the old movie LotR card game by decipher as well as the Harry Potter game as well. We have played Warhammer Invasion and the LotR LCG as well as many others. So we are pretty flooded with CCGs/LCGs, etc.

So can Ashes compete? I know a lot of it will come down to personal preference, but I'd still like other people's opinions. Does this game offer a different enough experience to warrant its existence on my game shelf? Is it good enough to steal plays from other well established card games?

And I don't mean to have a flamewar or try to insult anybody or anything. I am just curious. I'm assuming a lot of people here were or are in the same position I am now. Just like to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

The box art alone is worth it.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colgha View Post
    The box art alone is worth it.
    I could probably print out a colored copy of the box art pretty easily though and save myself the $100 (because let's face it, if I go in, I go all the way).

I don't like it as much as Summoner Wars, but it is fun and a lot faster. I can't offer too much insight seeing as I have only played ~15 games, but I can tell you that I don't regret buying it.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

I don't like it as much as Summoner Wars, but it is fun and a lot faster. I can't offer too much insight seeing as I have only played ~15 games, but I can tell you that I don't regret buying it.
    Faster? Huh. I would not have assumed that. I would think figuring out each move, especially with the flexibility of changing die faces, would make the game take forever. I also thought that it would be slow because there aren't huge monsters hitting, it's more small incremental hits.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
    Faster? Huh. I would not have assumed that. I would think figuring out each move, especially with the flexibility of changing die faces, would make the game take forever. I also thought that it would be slow because there aren't huge monsters hitting, it's more small incremental hits.
    I'm not sure games finish quicker than Summoner Wars, but the pace of the game "feels" faster, because the turns are shorter.

You know that I play MtG and Potter, and I find that I enjoy Ashes more than both of them.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    I'm not sure games finish quicker than Summoner Wars, but the pace of the game "feels" faster, because the turns are shorter.

You know that I play MtG and Potter, and I find that I enjoy Ashes more than both of them.
    I should have said that I am slower at Summoner Wars.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist

I should have said that I am slower at Summoner Wars.
    You do play Summoner Wars slowly, lol.

You do play Summoner Wars slowly, lol.
    Hey man, it works.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist

So I am undecided about Ashes. When playtesting first came out I instantly was very interested, but after checking out the rules and cards I wasn't as thrilled (mainly because I'm really lazy and didn't feel like making the custom dice). I am still torn.

Don't get me wrong, the art is amazing, the people who playtested it I know did a wonderful job, and those dice look really cool too and there are a couple of other little tidbits that make the game enticing.

However, I already play Summoner Wars (and not even that much of that anymore (Who knew having a kid would take up gaming time?). I also play MtG on occasion and the person I usually play these types of games with is a huge MtG fan. We also play the old movie LotR card game by decipher as well as the Harry Potter game as well. We have played Warhammer Invasion and the LotR LCG as well as many others. So we are pretty flooded with CCGs/LCGs, etc.

So can Ashes compete? I know a lot of it will come down to personal preference, but I'd still like other people's opinions. Does this game offer a different enough experience to warrant its existence on my game shelf? Is it good enough to steal plays from other well established card games?

And I don't mean to have a flamewar or try to insult anybody or anything. I am just curious. I'm assuming a lot of people here were or are in the same position I am now. Just like to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm in the same boat as you. Still undecided. The low value of the expansions is a deterrent, plus I just don't know if the game is good enough. I have similar tastes as you. I play the Harry Potter game, Lotr LCG, and I've played Invasion. I'm not a Magic person, but I've played it with friends.
    This is from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast