Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expansions and Dice

Default Expansions and Dice

This game looks fantastic and I am sure it will be a great hit!

I love that this game comes with a full playset (as opposed to part of a playset like FFG) I noticed you can create all 6 of the character decks at the same time, which is fantastic, but there isn't enough dice. in reality you are only guaranteed to have enough dice if you are playing 2 players with the preconstructed decks.

I do not plan on purchasing 2 sets just for the extra dice, but is there any known plans to make sets of dice available for purchase separately?

also does anyone have any idea how they plan to expand this game? they could do more base sets with more die types and phoenixborn, or they can have packs with just cards, like the LCG model. or somewhere in between, with some new cards and dice. any thoughts or information about this would be appreciated.

They said the current plan for expansions is to do something roughly every three months to start, with each expansion being like a single pheonixborn type size (small box). Then maybe once a year or so doing something larger. Last I heard this was still up in the air. They also mentioned, on the podcast I believe, that they are looking into selling dice separately. They have to meet certain order sizes with their games and components since they are a small company so a lot of this depends on how well the pre-order does.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    They said the current plan for expansions is to do something roughly every three months to start, with each expansion being like a single pheonixborn type size (small box). Then maybe once a year or so doing something larger. Last I heard this was still up in the air. They also mentioned, on the podcast I believe, that they are looking into selling dice separately. They have to meet certain order sizes with their games and components since they are a small company so a lot of this depends on how well the pre-order does.
    thank you! I think single phoenixborn packs are probably a good way to go, gives new character options as well as more cards for deckbuilding with a small price point. I still think extra dice is a must. I mean you can sub with D6s (or mage wars dice even) but the symbols are cool so I would rather have more of the actual dice.

still not going to buy another set just for the dice though.

The more people who buy the game, the more likely it is that they'll be able to print extra dice. I know that Isaac wants to.

That said, I think you will be perfectly fine with just one set to start. It's the full game, packed with options, and you can do pretty much anything you'd want to with just one box. Would you WANT to buy more in the future? Sure, but I don't think you NEED to.
    Last edited by nyphot; 05-05-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Well I think the main problem is just that if one player wants to use 10 dice and the other wants to use 5 of the same, then you can't do it unless you proxy. Of course this is in the case of custom decks as you won't run into that with the pre-builds.

I would imagine if that's a problem that both players probably own their own set since they're both deckbuilding intensively enough to want to use those same dice.

That is true but given that the company focuses on making games that you can play with several people out of the box it just seems like something they would be more worried about. It may not be as big of an issue as I'm making it seem. They did include draft rules after all. Also since dice are useful for more than just their given symbols it may be advantageous to take various dice anyway instead of hoarding one color.

Quote Originally Posted by nyphot View Post
    It's the full game, packed with options, and you can do pretty much anything you'd want to with just one box.
    well i hate to disagree here. the game is listed as 2-4 players. with just the core box i can make 6 decks, the only thing keeping my from playing 6 players is the dice. problem is depending on your choice of phoenixborn you may not have enough dice for even 3 players if all choose ones that use the same die type (there are 3 phoenixborn that use each of the die types) and with 4 players the chances that 3 people need the same dice is higher. if we just had a pack of 5 of each die, we can play all 6 at once (if my math is correct)

Out of curiosity, do you have access to that big of a group?? Personally, I'm a little jealous if that's the case, I definitely don't have six people who would play with me - although I'm hoping to build a group...

Quote Originally Posted by dkartzinel View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have access to that big of a group?? Personally, I'm a little jealous if that's the case, I definitely don't have six people who would play with me - although I'm hoping to build a group...
    also working on it. I mainly play board games but there are a lot of card gamers at my FLGS if I could get them hooked id be all set, but then they would have their own copies.

sometimes I get together with my cousin and some other friends, then I would have a 6 player group, that only happens once in a blue moon though.

still for me its about the options. I hope this does well that they can offer a dice pack of 5 of each die type fairly soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast