Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Faction: Ferrets and Owls

Default New Faction: Ferrets and Owls

I love this game beyond a doubt and I saw someone mention something about a third faction. Bats are for sure something I want to see, (mercenary rat outside of Scarcraw and Snag that either side can have perhaps?) But, with my love of all things rodents, and my ferret of 7-8 years is on the losing side of her battle with insulinoma, I am eager to see this game blow up, and see ferrets in the game.
    For those unaware, ferrets are strictly carnivores, rodents being a treat for them really. I figured owls were a good fit. Forgive my terrible attempt at a story and the ever present imbalances at spit balling ideas into a well thought out game when it's early morning and you've had to much caffeine...

Third faction. Ferrets
    thought behind, unlike the mice, which seem to favor speed, avoidance and range. Or the rats which seem to favor melee, brutality and sneaky-stabba. I'm thinking Ferrets will come charging into battle with a frenzy (ever seen a weasel war dance?) Fight like drunken brawlers and pillage the forest. In short, vikings.

Queen Astrid chuckled to herself when her scout told her about Snags alliance with the old corpse bird. "Rats making deals for safe passage, what lowlifes." She mused. Though the idea of flight gave her a sense of excitement, it was hardly an entertained thought. Her warriors were all berserkers. Drunk and rage filled, there was no bird out there able to match that fury.
    Still though, free food was something that did not escape her thinking.
    A sudden sound jolted Astrid from her thoughts.
    "Excuse me highness, the warriors and I are leaving on another raid." Said an apologetic Furyeta, "Our supply of Ursa Berries are running low. We'll be back before the season ends"
    Astrid nodded, "Go, tell my berserkers if they don't return, I expect to see them in Valhalla"
    "Of course" said Furyeta before she turned and left the room.
    The Ursa Berries made her clan what it is. Loud, boastful and dangerous. A single berserker under the influence could take on everything and anything. Her father Valka, slayed a wolverine while the bloodlust berry raged inside of him.
    Her thoughts snapped back to her issue she was facing. Winter would be coming soon and the abandoned barnyard that served as their refuge was getting to crowded. Since they moved in, the owls rarely caught her people, but the food was thinning out rapidly. Maybe Snag wasn't onto such a bad idea.
    Let the mice and rats go to war, Astrid had the old barn owl to talk to. After all, the strong pillage the weak and this war would give nothing but pillage and plunder.

ferrets use the cheese wheel differently.
    They have a Pillage and Plunder wheel. Anytime an enemy dies in close combat, add a PnP chunk as they injure the enemy and toss them into slave labor. Normal cheese rolls still add cheese, but ferret squads only bring up to two models back as reinforcements take longer to show go.

Astrid
    Standard
    Melee 2
    Shooting 1
    Pilot skill 1
    Hp 2
    Skill: Leap of Faith - Astrid is able to leap off her owl and land on any legal space on a tree as the bird flies by over head. (Treat like a swooping attack over a tree). Replace pilot astrid with Ground Astrid.

Astrid (dismounted)
    Melee 2
    Shooting 1
    Armor 2
    Movement:4
    Queen of the war dance- astrid may reroll 1 die in melee and defense.

Great barn owl
    Bird attack 3
    Armor 1
    Movement 4
    Quiet: Force an opponent to reroll 1 successful ranged attack against this unit.

Action cards
    URSA BERRY - berserker faction, 3 PnP, sword icon. Model can suffer a wound to add +1 di to melee attack rolls. Also can suffer a wound to make a group attack.

A drink to the gods! Berserker faction. 1 pnp. Target heals a wound.

Night time raid - great barn owl. May reroll all dice rolled against for ranged combat.

Again, just thoughts from an over caffinated, sleep deranged mind! Critique and criticism welcome I just desperately want to see this game blow up huge,

Very interesting!

really cool idea, and very theme, although i'll admit that I immediately get this MouseGuard vibe (which is beyond cool).
    the only real fear I have is one of game production itself.
    we already have (potential) access to weasels (thanks to DT), which is a large figure. so, the danger lies in the Barn Owl mounts. they would be twice the size of our Jay's or Hook Beaks. from a production point, that makes for a higher price point doesn't it (like the oversized ships in Star Trek or Star Wars attack wing).
    ...the rich

Great points, maybe after time and the game really shows a need for larger units.

True, I forgot the size of the owls... (curse you Redwall for your vague and average size of everything)
    Well, doing owl hatchlings would be the easy cop out.
    But what if it was any kind of owl, I'm not good with bird types, but there has to be a few species that run small. I just think a faction that injured themselves for power, no armour really would be fun. But then again I like risk/reward crews.

consider, though, it's no just the Owl that lends to the size problem, it is the rider.
    this is an image of the weasel as compared to Prince Collin and Filch. if you choose a smaller owl (such as the bird sized Elf Owl), then you must choose a smaller rider.
    but I still think this idea has merit, it just may need time to develop.

pic1915762.jpg
    Last edited by demon_llama; 01-08-2016 at 01:53 PM.
    ...the rich

True, but ferrets are smaller than weasels.
    Mice are roughly quarter sized, rats are the size of my hand (male rats anyway) and ferrets can be bigger, but mine is roughly the size of my hand. So if it stayed as just ferrets I don't think size would be much of an issue. Awkward to have a fuzzy cat snake riding on anything, but I still think doable.

And I'm by no means trying to shut you down, just offer my opinion as a former rodent breeder and owner of a ferret.
    But I'll put more thought into this and bring it back to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhurising View Post
    True, but ferrets are smaller than weasels.
    Mice are roughly quarter sized, rats are the size of my hand (male rats anyway) and ferrets can be bigger, but mine is roughly the size of my hand. So if it stayed as just ferrets I don't think size would be much of an issue. Awkward to have a fuzzy cat snake riding on anything, but I still think doable.

And I'm by no means trying to shut you down, just offer my opinion as a former rodent breeder and owner of a ferret.
    But I'll put more thought into this and bring it back to the table.
    no "shut down" or offense taken sir. indeed, we must all go by our knowledge's and experiences, and it is those that add quality to the discussion.
    rodents, I must admit, are no my specialty, so I defer to your expertise while I too reevaluate the idea. let us see what magic we may produce
    ...the rich

Agreed.

On the subject of birds, I asked a good friend of mine who has volunteered at the local bird preserve here, and he suggested looking into the Great Horn owls. Known for particular aggressive tendencies anyway, and roughly the size of the rook. So fits in theme with the barbarian/viking/rage thing I'm going for.

*back to research*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast