Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order of Effect Damage Resolution

Default Order of Effect Damage Resolution

With the FAQ and Phoenix Barrage being revealed, I had a question about its resolution. Damage from a card effect is resolved after all effects of that card are resolved. For cards like Phoenix Barrage, which have multiple damage dealing effects, does the damage have to be resolved in the order of the effects on the card or does the active player decide the order in which they resolve.

Yeah, I'm wondering how it will interact with say Golden Veil. Will the second effect be cancelled out?
    Winter is Coming...

Golden Veil cancels says it cancels the effects of the card, so it would cancel both effects. It also states this in the FAQ on page 4.

I guess I should post a link to the FAQ in case others reading this haven't seen it. It's from the Ashes Organized Play page they mentioned in the "Ashes: The Future!" post.
    http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/ashes/faq.pdf

Edit: Put the wrong page number.

Quote Originally Posted by jamalamba View Post
    With the FAQ and Phoenix Barrage being revealed, I had a question about its resolution. Damage from a card effect is resolved after all effects of that card are resolved. For cards like Phoenix Barrage, which have multiple damage dealing effects, does the damage have to be resolved in the order of the effects on the card or does the active player decide the order in which they resolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    If multiple units and/or Phoenixborn must follow
    the damage and destruction resolution process as
    the result of an effect, the player whose turn it is
    (or the player that has the first player token if itís no
    playerís turn) decides the order that those units and/
    or Phoenixborn follow the damage and destruction
    resolution process.
    So you would actually deal the damage in order, but the active player may then choose the order for how to resolve the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by jayelbird View Post
    So you would actually deal the damage in order, but the active player may then choose the order for how to resolve the damage.
    I think that ruling in the FAQ is regarding cards that deal damage to multiple cards with 1 single effect, like Mist Typhoon. Phoenix Barrage has 2 effects that each damage a different target. Also, since the damage is dealt to one target at a time, I don't think that we can handle it the same way that we handle simultaneous damage.

Jayelbird is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzzworthy View Post
    Jayelbird is correct.
    Wait, so if I Golden Veil a Phoenix Barrage, the Lulu player can choose to have the PB damage resolve first before the 4 damage to a unit?
    Winter is Coming...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn3e View Post
    Wait, so if I Golden Veil a Phoenix Barrage, the Lulu player can choose to have the PB damage resolve first before the 4 damage to a unit?
    No. Golden Veil cancels all of the effects of the card.

Perhaps the following two scenarios will help:

I play Phoenix Barrage. After paying the cost, I must choose a target unit and Phoenixborn before carrying out the effect. My opponent now has the opportunity to cancel my spell by playing Golden Veil. It cancels all of the effects before any damage is dealt.

I play Phoenix Barrage, choosing targets and dealing damage. I technically have to deal the damage in order from top to bottom. However, I must complete "dealing damage" before following the damage and destruction resolution process, i.e. both the unit and PB have been "dealt damage" before I actually resolve the effects of that damage. As the player whose turn it is, I can choose whether the unit or the PB first follows the damage and destruction resolution process.

Does that help?
    Last edited by nyphot; 12-11-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: corrected the order of damage in scenario 2, thanks to jayelbird

Quote Originally Posted by nyphot View Post
    Perhaps the following two scenarios will help:

I play Phoenix Barrage. After paying the cost, I must choose a target unit and Phoenixborn before carrying out the effect. My opponent now has the opportunity to cancel my spell by playing Golden Veil. It cancels all of the effects before any damage is dealt.

I play Phoenix Barrage, choosing targets and dealing damage. I technically can deal the damage in any order. However, I must complete "dealing damage" before following the damage and destruction resolution process, i.e. both the unit and PB have been "dealt damage" before I actually resolve the effects of that damage. As the player whose turn it is, I can choose whether the unit or the PB first follows the damage and destruction resolution process.

Does that help?
    That works. Thanks!
    Winter is Coming...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast