Thread: BGG Con 2015: A Doug's Report

Default BGG Con 2015: A Doug's Report

Hello Everyone,

This is a brief report on BGG Con 2015 from my perspective.
    First off: BIG difference from GenCon and Origins (and I think Essen--didn't attend myself) in terms of type of con. Things in the retailer hall were way less hectic. This seems to be the place where people come to play games, not to shop for games.

There was no real booth schedule for volunteers (just two of us) so we sort of came and went. Brian and Dave (Loyal PHG employees) manned the booth the majority of the time.
    Tail Feathers was on display, and lots of people came by and asked about that. I (along with Cody, and Colby once as well) ran Demos for Tail Feathers in the Hot games area Wednesday and Thursday and played some on our own on Friday as well.

In terms of the Con layout--there were two retailer halls (with lovely padded carpet) and one main gaming hall, as well as other smaller ballrooms and conference rooms for presentations and such.
    However, the one thing that really impressed me--the Game Library. I heard a lot about it, but WOW--it was better than I thought. Tons of games of every sort, including some very large shelves of brand new games. No shortage of selection.

PHG and Chad (Sculptor extraordinaire) had a party Friday night at PHG Central. That was a fun time. It was also Rodney Smith's Birthday, and I played a game of 'Big Book of Madness' on their Twitch Stream.

Side note: Colby brought that game from Essen, and we learned to play it...through a FEW iterations and corrections. But between all of us, I think we got it mostly right. That said--not a difficult game to understand, but a nice challenge level, and a great game for cooperation and communication.

Oddly, I left feeling like I really wanted to get in more gaming. I played quite a few small/short games with Cody (hardcore PHG Con Volunteer and Summoner War Playtester), which resulted in me (mostly) getting trounced. But still fun times.

Brian brought some Coffee to sample, which I was really looking forward to, and I in turn shared some home-made beef jerky (not made by me), and people seemed to enjoy that.

Oh, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Wednesday Night Dexterity games that took up most of the evening game-play. I'm generally not a Dexterity game player, but Colby, Cody, Isaac and I hit these pretty hard-core. I have no idea what the names were, but I was on the winning team game, and solo-won this crazy game where you hit wooden balls with a mallet across a fabric and lattice board. Dumbest game ever, but I WON! That despite Isaac's barrage of verbal abuse.

It seems Con Season 2015 is pretty much over, but before too long the fight for GenCon2016 housing will begin (maybe they should make a game of it), and we will see what's up for that. Been a busy year in my gaming life, but a pretty good one as well. Thanks to everyone who played a game, demoed, received a demo, worked a booth, or shared some snacks.

KAM

That beef jerky was awesome and the dexterity game was https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/151/piratenbillard

Quote Originally Posted by stevca9 View Post
    That beef jerky was awesome and the dexterity game was https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/151/piratenbillard
    That was the craziest game ever.

KAM