Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Summoner Wars Declared "Turtle Wars" by World Press

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
    It's not a big deal to me because I don't stall and I think it's a strategic disadvantage to do so. I do play defensively sometimes (depending on the deck and the situation) but never do I sit there and pass over and over.

Nevertheless it becomes a problem with you have 2 people who both just want to pass over and over and refuse to make the first move. I would recommend that such people find another game, but part of the problem is that they do and the player base is suffering for it. I think a simple rule like this would help things but in the end it doesn't matter because Playdek doesn't care enough to update the game at any reasonable rate.
    What do you mean? Kc said there is a whole comittee, I hope he meant a phg one...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    OK, let's just say that what you are describing happened. PHG fixed these summoners and made them more aggressive. Now, I'll say right off the bat, errata is the ONLY way this is possible, or rather, the only way the PHG would ever conceivably do. More reinforcements would not work, because as it stands currently, the cards that allow Summoners like Grog, Elien, and Oldin to be so good are among the best in the game. There is no such thing as a balanced unit that could ever be released into this game as a competitively viable alternative to Gror in Oldin's deck. Or Rukar/Bragg in Grognack. Or Fire Drake in Elien. And events don't get fixed by that anyway. The only way to fix them would be errata. Let's say they did do that, they weakened all the really strong cards.

What now? Suddenly, those factions aren't as big a competitive threat anymore. Consequently, there is less play of their best opponent's, so factions like JE, CL, and Marek aren't played as often. What's left? I may not be completely right, but it will probably turn into Dema, Tundle, Rallul, and Mugg meta, with very few viable alternatives. I just think that having them adds a little bit of variety in the top tiers that helps create a great deal of diversity in the next tier or two down.

Sorry but hated that way of thinking.

The committee is made up no doubt of PHG employees and playtesters. They might come out with some kind of "tournament rules" recommendation but it won't be anything that can't be solved with house rules anyway for face-to-face play. And they are just as likely to decide there is no problem and there will be no change.

Even if they make some official recommendation, there is no guarantee Playdek will ever implement it. Their dev team doesn't really care about Summoner Wars any more.

Really? i thought we would have all summoners one day. For me is sad because I only play on ios.

Let me clarify. I have no official statement from Playdek saying they are going to discontinue to development of SW. What I have are their actions -- a much-hyped tournament system has been placed on the back burner after being extensively playtested by community members about a year ago.

At that time I applied to test it but found that it didn't work on my device. Excited to participate, I purchased a branch new, top-of-the-line tablet, only to find that all lines of communication with Playdek had gone dead. I emailed them, sent forum messages, etc. asking to be let back into the test but never got an answer. No matter, I thought, I probably would have needed a new device to play their new patch anyway. The old smartphone I had been using was out of date. So after more months of waiting, finally the new patch was released! Well, sort of. It had the new factions but the tournament system, the chat feature, and all the other extras were shelved indefinitely. Fine, I thought, better to release what they have and the rest can come out later. At least I can play with the new factions. Except when I tried to run it on my new tablet, it crashed. Every time.

At this point there was somebody from Playdek in the PHG forums, talking about bugs and things, saying they were getting reports that the new patch didn't work on certain devices and they were looking into it. Cool, I thought, they will get my info and get this fixed. I reported the info that he asked for about my device. About a week or so later, another patch was available. But still, the app crashed on my tablet. Again, communication went dead. I submitted bug reports through the tablet. I sent e-mails to their support e-mail address. I made a post in their forums. No response. Nothing. (You can still see the forum post from last August here: http://playdek.invisionzone.com/inde...d-suggestions/ ).

Eventually I gave up on it. But in last November there was another chance for me to get it working: I got a new cell phone. Normally I don't go for new tech gadgets but I bought the latest Samsung Galaxy S6, newest and most powerful version available. Surely I can play Summoner Wars on this, right? Wrong! The app doesn't crash like on my tablet, but the screen is completely black and I can't navigate the menu or do anything without seeing what I'm doing. And I'm not the only one. If you go to their app review on the Google Play Store you can see the 1-star reviews are piling up. Lots of people are complaining that this patch broke their app. The response from Playdek? Nothing. Silence. Ignore. I'm not one of those guys that likes to complain but reluctantly I added a 1-star review of my own. Maybe this will get their attention? Not likely.

So now you see why I believe Playdek doesn't care about developing Summoner Wars. Maybe all the factions will be available someday. At the rate they are going, though, it will take 10-15 years for them to release them. It seems more likely to me that it will just be left to linger.

Clarissimus, this makes me sad. Can you still not play on the App? I thought I saw you on there a couple times, but then your activity halted... now it seems I know why.
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Sad to hear that. I can confirm that SW app is working flawlessly on IPad and Sony Xperia phone. I've heard that app was (and probably still is) not compatible with "mali GPU" chip. I suppose that is the cause of the problem You've got with Your Samsung.
    Game Center ID: Nadhir 99

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

It works on my galaxy s5, though I did have issues for a while until I got the last patch. I'd suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    It works on my galaxy s5, though I did have issues for a while until I got the last patch. I'd suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling.
    That's a good suggestion, but I've done that a number of times already. I even got a little excited a few months ago when there was a firmware update for my tablet, but it had no effect on the SW app.

We have just managed to get summoner wars to tale off at my flgs, so were not deck building yet, just getting used to the different decks and pkaystyle, but with vlox I have been playing GD a lot. Really has made mw thing how I win, and I have got a few and my percentage is slowly creeping up. I use the scrappers to jump vlox around and found that although most of my movement is negated by defenders this leads me to try and dump for violet early, as vlox ams her clean up the gd when they are wall crowding. Then later on move with snipers to get close to oldin and shoot then next turn scrapper swarm him and bring him down. Its quite luck dependant but its start. I think I will start mixing some mercs in soon as well and might go for a magic denial theme with them.

Turtling hasn't yet become prevalent and the few times I have seen it they lost as the opponent managed to corner the summoner, or use abilities that shot through the walls.
    Last edited by cammster; 02-26-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast