Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summoner Wars Declared "Turtle Wars" by World Press

Default Summoner Wars Declared "Turtle Wars" by World Press

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Summoner Wars renamed Turtle Wars after frustrating match

Earth (November 6, 2015): Following a heartbreaking loss to a noob who turtled while magic dumping and dropping OP Hydrake at game's end and getting uber dice rolls for the win, the World Press has rebranded Plaid Hat's masterpiece board game, Summoner Wars as Turtle Wars: Magic Dump, Late Game Champ Build FTW.

In response, sarcastic chatter has suggested the complete removal of all commons and events, with the game simply to start as a summoner, three champions and a pair of weighted dice.

Colby was unavailable for comment.

What do you think?

Woah guys, I think we are finally developing a real competitive community! Look, we have one of the hallmarks now - butthurt whiners!

I kid, but only somewhat. Turtling is annoying, but it can be broken in many cases. There are several notable exceptions, summoners that are unbeatable or near to it when they turtle. Selundar is the opposite of that. Calling Hydrake overpowered is in and of itself a baffling statement. And not to mention that even if it was, it is literally the only good SE champion for uber-defensive style of play. Looking at the others, anyone can see that only Kuldrid has stats that are anywhere near to the task, and the ability is too bad to be used in a defensive deck (offense is a different story; Kuldrid can win games there).

Also, whiel I know it is irrelevant to the app meta, the alliance and second summoners have increasingly been anti-champ, pro-common. 3 champion turtling against Nikuya Na, Melundak, or Marek is essentially a form of forfeiting the match.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Woah guys, I think we are finally developing a real competitive community! Look, we have one of the hallmarks now - butthurt whiners!

I kid, but only somewhat. Turtling is annoying, but it can be broken in many cases. There are several notable exceptions, summoners that are unbeatable or near to it when they turtle. Selundar is the opposite of that. Calling Hydrake overpowered is in and of itself a baffling statement. And not to mention that even if it was, it is literally the only good SE champion for uber-defensive style of play. Looking at the others, anyone can see that only Kuldrid has stats that are anywhere near to the task, and the ability is too bad to be used in a defensive deck (offense is a different story; Kuldrid can win games there).

Also, whiel I know it is irrelevant to the app meta, the alliance and second summoners have increasingly been anti-champ, pro-common. 3 champion turtling against Nikuya Na, Melundak, or Marek is essentially a form of forfeiting the match.
    What he said

Which summoners do you guys think would classify as really tough to beat when turtling?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdSummoner View Post
    Which summoners do you guys think would classify as really tough to beat when turtling?
    Tundle and Demagogue are the best turtles. But guess what their bad matchups are? The summoners that are the best attackers.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I agree with 3rdSummoner,

I feel like there is not enough incentive to be aggressive since you can acquire enough magic by simply dumping your cards. Also I feel that the first few decks (Like Oldin base deck), are kind of broken. Is it even possible for the base deck of Vlox to beat the base deck of Oldin without overwhelming luck on your side? Thoughts on this please...

Well, I mean, going by base decks then yes, Oldin is really tough to beat. But only because Oldin's base deck happens to contain all the best GD units. Say you have two games of Oldin vs. Vlox going on, right next to each other. One is base decks, one is customization. Base deck game will go to Oldin pretty easily, of course. But if you look at the deckbuilds of both Oldin players in this scenario, they will be very similar. Both will have Gror, Baldar, spearmen, and defenders. The built deck may have Thorkur as well, either that or Grungor. And the 3 Engineers you can deckbuild out of Oldin doesn't exactly add a heaping ton of variety. Oldin's deck is very much optimized. Vlox, on the other hand, will have a very different deck when he's allowed to build his own deck. First, he can fix his crappy champ line up (all 3 champs in base Vlox aren't bad btw, but rather, they are all niche champions, and 3 niche champions is never going to be a good deck build) by adding units like Barston, Kyra, Admiral, etc. Good CL champs that actually be of use outside a certain scenario. Then, he can pack a single niche champ that fits with the more solid champs (any of his base lineup or Sin-Sin, Spider, Doc, or Hawk can be used to great effect with the right build) and build a common line-up that helps elevate that niche champ. Renegades combo'ed with Vlox's ability is beastly. Or you could go for super-steal with Sin-Sin and Thieves. Add some Bruisers for beef... I can go on. Deckbuilt Vlox is, at this point, one of the better decks in the game because its is so versatile. Especially if you play blind decks - that is, you don't know your opponent's deckbuild beforehand. It is isn't the best, not Tundle or Dema or Rallul tier good. It still hasn't quite gotten past its oldest, crappiest MU of Grognack. But it is competitive to a fair degree, and I am confident that Vlox can certainly beat Oldin without insane luck.

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Tundle and Demagogue are the best turtles. But guess what their bad matchups are? The summoners that are the best attackers.
    True this. I've been running a tourney where all 32 current summoners are pitted against each other. I did it in celebration of Alliances and that 32 is a good tourney number. Demagogue was knocked out in the first round because his randomly selected opponent was Nikuya Na, and Na bum-rushed him. Ended the game in 4 rounds, just as Dema started to get a handle on things after a very strong opening involving Spirit of the Cheetah and rhinos, but Spirit of the Serpent on Nikuya and 3/4 FTW!
    Last edited by Joseph; 11-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by festivemongoose View Post
    I agree with 3rdSummoner,

I feel like there is not enough incentive to be aggressive since you can acquire enough magic by simply dumping your cards. Also I feel that the first few decks (Like Oldin base deck), are kind of broken. Is it even possible for the base deck of Vlox to beat the base deck of Oldin without overwhelming luck on your side? Thoughts on this please...
    It's easy to just build a ton of magic and sit there against earlier decks, but try that against Marek, Nikuya Na, Tundle, Mugglug, Jexik or Sam and see what happens. There's others too.

And Saturos.... whooo boy Saturos!!! :P

If you're just playing the first 8 decks or so, I beg you to try out some of thr newer stuff before making generalizations about the game. Starting with the Master Set and even more with ever expansion, SW got a lot more aggressive.

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    And Saturos.... whooo boy Saturos!!! :P
    Do you know how mad you made me when you dropped that juicy titbit KC???!!!
    I WANT PREVIEWS! I WANT SECOND SUMMONERS! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    (Starts sobbing quietly. ...)

Hopefully it's not very far away. I'm excited for them - especially Saturos. I feel like we got a tad bit crazy with him, but in a good (and very balanced) way. I love what the deck does to the meta - especially the pre-conceived Defenders advantage garbage. Saturos has attackers advantage, baby!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast