Thread: DoW Halloween Tournament

Default DoW Halloween Tournament

We had a bit of a fun go over at Carolina Comics in Lawton today as we ran a little tournament. We had three tables that ran 3-4 players each (had a few players who had to leave early, a few who joined in late). 3 rounds with custom objectives each round. We ran into a few kinks, but new and experienced players alike had a great time (except for table 2 in round 1 - first action - kill zombie - first die roll - BITE - and everyone wanted to risk the roll. YIKES).

Pictures are at the CC Facebook page here:
    https://m.facebook.com/CarolinaComic...notify_me_page

Good fun. Good laughs. Lots of dead survivors (is that an oxymoron?).
    Can't wait till we can schedule the next one.
    ...the rich

I think I saw this as an event and I thought it looked really cool. Though I don't think DoW really would work in a tournament setting, this seems fun and interesting; maybe more of a fun competition than truly competitive one. I'm sure it was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by demon_llama View Post
    first die roll - BITE - and everyone wanted to risk the roll. YIKES).
    Hahah, classic. This is why at my games there is always a house rule, If your first roll of the game is a Bite, you get a mulligan/ re-roll. I introduced a friend to the game for the first time and he instantly rolled a Bite. His face said, "that was fun, but what should we play instead?" so any first roll bites are reconsidered. Second roll bite... Goodbye.

it originally started out as a fun idea at the first demo day I did at the store ("hay, we should have a tournament") that kinda took on a life of it's own.
    running three tables, with three rounds, with both experienced and novice players, we had fun. generated a number of kinks that need to be addressed for the future (mostly tie-breakers), but everyone had a blast and started asking when the next one was.

I like the idea of a "mulligan," maybe give everyone a token/chip each round that they can burn for a reroll of one die?
    ...the rich