Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best card in the core set?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I don't like the Demons as they require 2 colors to get them out with Bring Forth, and 4 dice, and Bring Forth is expensive to Respark. A 3/5 unit is nothing to sneeze at, though.

I could see potential for them in a N/I/C deck with Protect on the spellboard as well.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    I don't like the Demons as they require 2 colors to get them out with Bring Forth, and 4 dice, and Bring Forth is expensive to Respark. A 3/5 unit is nothing to sneeze at, though.

I could see potential for them in a N/I/C deck with Protect on the spellboard as well.
    The thing is, I don't use Bring Forth on them. A 1/4 unit for 2 cost that can be brought to prevent big blockers and protect valuable unit is pretty good imo. If the enemy tries to chump attack it, I just block with the PB. I always feel safer with a 4hp blocker than a low hp one that can be killed by a side Action or 2 (with Iron Worker/Violinist Combo).
    Winter is Coming...

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I guess there's some merit to being able to soak up.direct damage and still be around to block, but I don't know. If you're counting on them go guard other units, they can just direct damage the other units.

I guess it's good for a body that just can't be burned away though.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

False Demons are great because you can block with your PB if they try to cheap-shot it, and Illusion does not apply to anything but actual attacks, so you can force them to still attack it with a large amount of firepower to kill it.

Ashes is really... weird?? I guess for lack of a better word, when it comes to comparing it to other games of similar nature, like Magic, because of mechanics like unlimited PB blocking. Abilities like Illusion seem really crappy at first glance, but in experience, its effects are very easily mitigated.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I think that a lot of the more underrated cards are the utility cards like Call Upon the Realms, Shifting Mist, and Expand Energy. Dice manipulation is really strong to ensure that you have lots of options to cast things and Expand Energy really does a lot of lifting to ensure you have dice available. There are a lot of really great units, but I think the costs really keep the strong ones from being too strong. Even False Demon costs 2 dice. In the same token I could create 2 mist spirits for the same cost and still have one left after taking out the False Demon. Where it gets interesting is the field and spellboard limits. There a just so many different balance valves in the game it's pretty hard right now for any one card to be the "Best".

Anchornaut and EV. Anchornaut can activate just about any reaction you need, pairs well with Small Sacrifice, and comes back with no damage to your PB. EV is damage anytime you or you opponent mediates, and it makes an opponent think twice before they meditate. With all the new conjurations coming out Cut The Strings is going to become incredibly useful. Those are just the "best" cards in my opinion. My hands down favorite is Summon Sleeping Widows. Sure, I'll guard that, oh what's that? I just dropped two 2/1 creatures, you just spent your main action and exhaust your creature attacking? Guess you're getting 4 damage next turn.

I would personally include shifting mist into most decks just to keep generating high powered dice. That will always add up in the long run. Also if you're playing a multi dice deck, 3+ colors, I feel its almost necessary unless the splash cards are just basic dice required.

Shifting Mist is not an answer to your deck running multiple mana, that's a holdover from M:tG and its reliance on fixers. Shifting Mist is a response to your fear of milling your own deck, but right now mill is not in the meta and games tend to be over by hte third round; you can well get away with aggressively meditating from the deck 3-5 cards per round.

As for "best base cards"... Everyone would say Enchanted Violinist, but I'm very partial to Hammer Knight. I wonder for how long if it will define the upper limit of the efficiency you can get from a 3-dice unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12