Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tail Feathers contest discussion thread

This is the story that i imagined for my contest entry, it seemed a little long to enter on the main page

A group of rats picked through a heap, hoping to find some unclaimed morsel. "He's mad, rats on birds?!" "Ol' Snag's lost it i tell ya." A few meters away, from under a tattered hood, Hookmaw leered at them. He wasn't always called that. Snag had smashed the young hair's muzzle, instead of killing him with his father when he claimed the throne. Crooked ingrown teeth now contorted his face, twisting his lips into a constant sneer. "Rats on birds, surely not you cowards," thought Hookmaw as he listen and his mind began to race, "No not you, but if I commanded the mighty crow..." The others had always bullied him, and ever since things under Snag's rule turned sour it had been worse. Rats saw Him as a reminder of what they once had, his mangled face a reminder of what had become of it. They would lash out at him for it. It had become second nature dodging the kicks, the vicious look of his face detoured most from even trying. The idea of being lifted high above those who had trodden on him was too alluring, no fear could stop him now. Besides, what death could the crows offer that would be worse than the life he lived so far.

Few were brave enough to volunteer to join Snag's air force, but as the numbers grew the others were left with a choice. March out in the open field to meet the birds or admit what cowards they were, which wasn't really a choice. A small hoard of rats stood huddled behind their leader watching, most quacking with fear as the flock approached. Circling the band as they landed, hungrily eyeing the rats, waiting for Scarcraw's word. "Grizzard," the leader cawed loudly with a twist of his head, signaling for him to step forward. "Grizzard is my fiercest warrior," he announced as the bird stepped out and bowed his head low, "which of you rats has the guts to climb aboard?" For a moment each looked around at each other, hoping some other rat would step forward. Hookmaw held his head up, this was the moment that would decide his fate, but before he could step forward a shove came from behind and he was pushed out in front of the group. All eyes gazed on him now, none with more scrutiny than Grizzard. Hookmaw recognized what the rook was thinking, disgust looks the same on any face. This bird would not be the one to carry him to a new destiny. He gazed around at the flock, each as contemptuous as the next, but one stood out. This black bird had a sick grey hue and feathers ruffled in all directions, no bird stood too close to it, reminding him of his own plight.

Confusion washed over every face as Hookmaw walked right past the waiting rook, feathers littered the ground where he stood before the sickly looking bird. "You bird, what do they call you?," he questioned. "The rat asked you a question Quill Dropper," one rook squawked. Another quickly chimed in, "looks like someones taken a shine to you Feverwing." Angry glares shot from the glass black eyes of the bird, another look Hookmaw was all to familiar with. Softly he spoke so no others could hear, "they call me Hookmaw," he motioned to his companions the black bird eyeing him suspiciously, "I am Rexus, son of Rodden, and you are my Furywing. Together we'll make sure no thing dares to give us disrespect." His confidant tone expressed all the emotion Hookmaw's broken muzzle could not. Quill dropper stared directly into the cold hate filled eyes of the rat before him, "me likes Furywings," it responded and slowly bowed letting the rat climb on his back. Feathers rained down as the two shot straight up into the sky. Slack jawed rats watching with amazement cheered as the ragged looking pair took flight. This infuriated Snag, who refusing to be shown up, scrambled out of the hoard and up onto to Grizzard's back. "Come now you mangy lot there is a war coming, lets go win it," his shouts sent rats exploding into action. Rats scratched and bit one another fighting their way to the birds that they would have once done the same to escape. "Now spread word to all rats, let them know, those who are not with me are against me and my birds are hungry." Grayish black Feathers rained down on Snag as he ascended, emphasizing in his mind the threat that Hookmaw could pose. "I should have killed ya when i did your ol' man, but fear not little prince there is still time," Snag muttered quietly, flying off.

Hookmaw (vermin raider pilot)

Sneer: when Hookmaw is attacked with a normal attack by a figure within close range that attacker roll 1 less dice

Melee/ranged/piloting/life bonus
    3/1/1/2
    Small 5pts
    Suggested mini- Chumjaw

Quill dropper (Hook beak black bird)

Molt- During quill droppers activation if a piloting check is rolled place 1 tail feather behind this figure for every dice that doesn't show a *.

Battle/defense/speed/life
    3/1/2/4
    Large 10pts
    Suggested mini- Wrunk
    Last edited by Ravenchild; 09-19-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Um....WOW! I have to say that was pretty damned awesome! I'm wanting to read more about this team. I'm intrigued by the hints at other story lines. Bravo!
    Always the Mice Guy!

Thank you so much. I have to admit, the moment i read your post my mind was flooded with the story of Hookmaw and Quill Dropper, so to be continued. I feel a bit silly, because i'm a little sad at the idea that there is even a chance Hookmaw might become a playable card without his parnter. to keep everything fair and everyone having a good time, at our table we don't play customs, only designer sanctioned units for us. I do have a great time exploring the possiblities of your universe though, and i'm ever looking forward to see what you reveal next..., Where is snibble?!
    Last edited by Ravenchild; 09-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.

from what i've read of the posted Pilots, i forsee a really cool addition to the TailFeathers game, and it looks like there are going to be a lot of games going on as soon as TF hits the self. who knows how many expansion pilots they will find in those, though i'll admit i'm glad i'm not the one who has to choose. great stuff there!
    ...the rich

Quote Originally Posted by demon_llama View Post
    from what i've read of the posted Pilots, i forsee a really cool addition to the TailFeathers game, and it looks like there are going to be a lot of games going on as soon as TF hits the self. who knows how many expansion pilots they will find in those, though i'll admit i'm glad i'm not the one who has to choose. great stuff there!
    I know, right, it looks like it's going to be a hard choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenchild View Post
    Thank you so much. I have to admit, the moment i read your post my mind was flooded with the story of Hookmaw and Quill Dropper, so to be continued. I feel a bit silly, because i'm a little sad at the idea that there is even a chance Hookmaw might become a playable card without his parnter. to keep everything fair and everyone having a good time, at our table we don't play customs, only designer sanctioned units for us. I do have a great time exploring the possiblities of your universe though, and i'm ever looking forward to see what you reveal next..., Where is snibble?!
    I think you would be interested to know that Wrunk the hookbeak that comes with the base game originally was designed to have loose feathers that were dropping off all the time. You literally dropped extra feathers on the board each time you moved the figure. Since we changed and put the tail feathers in the additional rules section, I decided to give Wrunk a new ability that had a greater impact on her performance.
    Always the Mice Guy!

I'm pretty proud to find out that we both had the same idea for that bird. I can see why you would change the card for the base set though. Not everyone will be up for all the extra rules. I admit i was shocked that Snag's ability relates to death spiral optional rule. Personally the tail feathers are my favorite part of the game. I can't think of another game were the battle field could be altered at virtually any moment. Its such a cool machanic.
    Last edited by Ravenchild; 09-22-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12