Thread: To revive or not to revive ... is that the question?

Default To revive or not to revive ... is that the question?

"Revive
    After activating a unit, if you have a full cheese wheel, you may discard all of your cheese tokens and choose 1 hero or 1 creature or up to 3 squad figures from your casualty pile and move them to your reserves box.
    Note: Birds/pilots cannot be chosen to be revived."

Clearly, mice love cheese and birds don't. So obviously that is why we can't revive our birds with it. Aside from that though a very important question will plague every player in Tail Feathers, to revive or not revive? Or will it? At first glance it seems that reviving will be essential to keeping your reserves chalk full of little furry fighters. And as important as this seems there is in fact a bigger question a-paw, and that is 'to attack or not to attack?' ... let me build an example.
    It is the end of the activation phase and ignoring everything else that has happened so far a player still has to submit their force to two steps of the game before they are able to refresh and the players reset the battlefield, those include

1. Reinforce and 2. Resolve Missions
    Both of these steps can and will alter what forces are available for the next round. In turn this will force a player to choose what direction they want to go with their strategy, during the next round.

But these decisions during the next turn will be even more pre-determined by the availability of cheese to the player and if they can/want to to use any of their units abilities or action cards. But remember that if we revive a unit that we will, generally, have no cheese to spend. Exceptions do exist. Basically a player has to know if they are going to attack/use action cards next turn before reviving this turn, to ensure that they will have enough cheese to do so. And this is where I make my point.
    Because a player must have an idea of what their force is going to look like and account for the outcomes of phase 4, they need to pre-determine if they plan on using any attacks or action cards that require cheese during the next turn AND round. And only once have they done this then they can decide whether or not to revive a unit. And so yes the question 'to revive or not to revive?' is in fact not the question. Rather you should be asking yourself at the end of phase 3 'to attack or not to attack?' because that is the question.

Now I will conclude with the recognition that there are obvious factors that can alter this theory, such as dice rolling, foraging, etc. Each of these is however circumstantial or requires an even deeper layer of planning out your actions for the next phase. Something that I believe can and should be discussed, but perhaps in more intricate phase planning theory guide. However I want to open the discussion with my base theory and see what people think!
    Last edited by Chief; 01-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Chief, it looks like you have a good grip on the nuance of the decision points here. Cheese is a valuable resource no matter how you use it. One thing I see in the game is a desire to keep a full cheese wheel and leverage your rerolls. Some players wait to revive and keep their full wheel to enjoy the rerolls for as long as possible. But if you wait til later in the round to revive, you might be cheese poor when it comes to initiative. Figuring out your own cadence is part of learning Tail Feathers as it really has some unique twists on the traditional skirmish game.
    Always the Mice Guy!

You raise a lot of interesting points, and you are right that each player will find their own niche of cheese use. One idea that I will be interested in trying out is strafing with a full cheese wheel. I.E using a ranged bird/pilot to pick off oncoming forces rather than confront them, leveraging re-rolls as you mentioned before. If you combine this with patrols then it should be relativity hard for the opponent to reach the home tree. Honestly, on a side note, if you combine strafing/patrolling with a well timed siege that could be an fairly straight forward win.

There are 2 kinds of action cards. Bird cards cost no cheese, so I gave been known to bring only bird cards to play so that I always have cheese for rerolls, revives, and initiative.

Here's another idea: if you plan on transporting a hero, activate that hero first and forage with it. Since it will be unavailable while transported, you at least get a cheese on the wheel. It's efficient.
    Last edited by Grungebob; 09-09-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
    Here's another idea: if you plan on transporting a hero, activate that hero first and forage with it. Since it will be unavailable while transported, you at least get a cheese on the wheel. It's efficient.
    I have known transporting units has been a thing ... but I just got the awesome visual of 'bomber birds' ... oh my imagination.
    Aside from that, an all birds army seems efficient but the amount of congestion the battle field would see ... well I just can't way to get this game haha. There are going to be so many interesting visuals. This does raise a question however, when dealing with crossing during flight what happens if my bird crosses paths with two externalities at once. Say an enemy bird and a mission card. Is there is a resolve order? I didn't see one in the rule book. The reason I ask is because what if this happens and my bird has 1 life left. I would want to make a swoop attack before dealing the crossing damage. But without a resolve order there could be player conflict.

The above is off topic however. To bring it back to reviving I do see the use of keeping your cheese wheel full so that you may revive whenever your opponent is about to launch a siege. Otherwise you might find yourself without units to defend the nest.

You can swoop on a turn that you death spiral.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Updated the top a little, will being doing an overhaul soon. I am finding that its not a question of when to spend cheese but a question of how many attacks will I have this round. The more chances you have to roll cheese the more you have to fill your wheel. So really you want to maximize your number of attacks, in most cases, in order to keep a full wheel. Allowing revives and the use of other abilities/cards during that round. I think the big issue however is whether or not to revive on the first turn of the round. Because if you revive and get no more cheese that round, then you wont get any boosts. I am finding the economics of this game is quite intricate. Maybe even more so than M&M in ways.

Wow, great post and questions, I have to give it some thought after tonight's game.