Thread: Coal deck - no idea really

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Default Coal deck - no idea really

So I haven't made a deck for Coal yet. This is a very feeble attempt.

1x Charm
    2x Natural
    3x Illusion
    4x Ceremonial

Ready Spells:
    Abundance x3*
    Expand Energy x3*
    Shifting Mist x1*
    Summon Gilder x2*
    Small Sacrifice x3

Allies:
    Anchornaut x3
    Leech Warrior x3
    Iron Worker x3

Action Spells
    Sleight of Hand x3*
    One Hundred Blades x3
    Hidden Power x3

Looking back at this deck it just doesn't seem like enough, but I don't know. The idea is to draw a bunch of cards and slash the crap out of things, but I'm not really sure this would work. Gilders + Iron Workers seems good for ridiculous slashing. I was tempted to pack Out of the Mist for good damage, side action use and card draw, but I'm not sure I'll consistently have enough guys down without Mist Spirits, which might be an option over Gilders anyway.
    There's also Ceremonial + Anchornaut in here, and the deck is supposed to be very cheap on dice but give you a lot, so killing some of their dice with Illusion and Small Sac + Leech while forcing them to draw with Abundance is part of it, too. I wanted Violinests and Molten Gold in here, too but i just couldnt fit them. Maybe I just have too many plans going at once....

Any ideas here? I feel like I'm grasping at straws.
    Last edited by killercactus; 09-02-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I feel like Abundance is a high must with Coal, but if you're going the Abundance Route I don't see a need to run more than 1. You don't have enough Magic to properly utilize all the cards you draw and with Coal, establishing board presence is a must before you go all "Slash" on things. Because of that, I'd be more tempted to go the Mist Spirit route than the Gilder route because heavy usage of Slash is just bad CA all around.

Control Coal is probably my second best constructed deck, and I've got him at 4x Ceremonial, 4x Charm, 1x Natural, 1x Illusion, though I may cut the Illusion. Sleight of Hand is pretty much unnecessary; that card goes better in decks that really want to aggressively attack and establish themselves faster.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

Yeah I guess that's it - I've never actually played with or against Coal so I don't know how much Slashing I'd actually do.

I suppose I could cut out Abundance x2 for Violinests, and maybe Sleight of Hand x2 for Molten Gold, but I might also want either Root Armor or Reflections in the Water based on what the answer is on whether or not you can Respark a card discarded from your hand...
    Last edited by killercactus; 09-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

OK, so another shot at Coal just going the Natural / Charm route:

Coal Roarkwin

1x Illusion / 4x Natural / 5x Charm

Ready Spells:
    Summon Gilder x2*
    Abundance x1*
    Summon 3-Eyed Owl x2*
    Empower x3

Allies:
    Iron Worker x3*
    Enchanted Violinist x3

Action Spells:
    Molten Gold x3
    One Hundred Blades x3
    Transfer x3
    Open Memories x1*

Alteration Spells:
    Massive Growth x3

Reaction Spells:
    Sympathy Pain x3

When I don't know what to do with someone, I think I'm just going to default to Natural / Charm stuff with Gilders and lots of direct damage. I tossed one Illusion die in here for Abundance, which is the only Illusion card in the deck but I think that Coal really likes it, so its worth the include. I figure 50% of the time you're going to go first and get it out as your first action, and the other 50% you won't always be facing an Illusion deck that can kill off your Illusion die before you can drop it, or they don't get a Wolf symbol, so I have a better than 50% shot to drop it Turn 1. After that, the Illusion die can be used to pay for basic stuff or to kill off a die of theirs. As with most of my decks, there's lots of damage from Gold, Pain, Gilders, Violinists and 100 Blades, not to mention Slash. Iron Worker + Gilder is pretty cool here, I think. Massive Growth seemed like a good add with all my Units at 2 AV and less, and lots of ways to clear the lane by the end of the round. I think Empower is actually a pretty cool card and doesn't get enough use... it can provide some extra dice later in the game since I don't have Expand Energy here along with some needed attack power. Transfer is just all around useful.

First 5 is Gilder, Owl, Abundance, Open Memories, Iron Worker. Owl is good for messing with the opponent's opening strat and still solid later. Open Memories allows for some options in the first round on top of what I draw with Abundance if I activate it.
    Last edited by killercactus; 09-15-2015 at 09:46 AM.

- I honestly don't get the infatuation with the Iron Workers. What are you spamming Side Actions for besides Slash? The only way I see it working alternatively is spamming Power Dice actions before attacking, and that takes too much set up to be reliable. Is it because of Gilder?
    - I feel Massive Growth is the definition of a Risk/Reward card. Sure, it doesn't die to Cut the Strings but Steady Gaze and Transfer typically ruin that card's strategy. Coal tends to be weak to disruption, so I tend not to include cards that make it easier for my opponent to stop me.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

There's also meditating with a Violinist out to deal a damage as a side action. You could use 3 side actions in a row to deal 3 damage to a unit with slash, frog and meditate to open up an attack lane for a Massive / Charmed / Empowered Iron Worker to lay the smack down. I do like the Gilder synergy too though

The way i've been finding success with Coal is waiting out rounds with no cost cards, then spending my dice over a few remaining turns while my opponent has no dice left to attack with. I usually play Mist Spirit, the Violinist and Anchornaut, and after having the minimum number of blocking conjurations and allies on the field, I tear apart their phoenixborne bit by bit in a war of attrition. There are very few things an opponent can do to stop Coal from taking away their blockers.

Here is a similar deck list that I have come up with. Once I get some more playtime with the base decks I plan to throw it together and see how it works.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/play/as...slash-and-stab

The deck might have entirely too much draw in it and might need a few stronger creatures. I considered Mist Spirits as thenightsshadow has suggested and it is definatly something to consider if the Gilders just don't work out. The Gilders do quite of few things in this deck however. They increase the ease at which you can slash down units, pump up the Iron Workers ability and I am also running protect, and help to keep you other units alive in order to reap their benefits longer. They will trigger Chant of Revenge as well but Mists Spirits could do that just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thenightsshadow View Post
    - I honestly don't get the infatuation with the Iron Workers. What are you spamming Side Actions for besides Slash? The only way I see it working alternatively is spamming Power Dice actions before attacking, and that takes too much set up to be reliable. Is it because of Gilder?
    I have only just gotten the game and have played some with the starter decks so cannot comment on the strength of Iron Worker. Yes the idea I think, at least in the deck list I have drafted, is to be able to use multiple slashes at once in order to pick off a unit before it has time to act. I also think that in a deck that is running all 4 dice types it would be useful to have a few units that only cost basics. Having 2 life means the workers are not so easy to pick off.
    Last edited by Scapegoat; 10-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.

I've been dreaming of Double-Strengthen turns lately using Iron Workers.