Thread: Flight System

Default Flight System

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/565

For those who haven't read the rules, we now have a preview of the flight system and how it works.

Interested to hear peoples' first impressions!

The two-part timing is the first distinct quality. Everyone takes turns setting their tilts (moving the tilt 0-1 spots), then everyone takes turns moving, with the chance to change the tilt once more depending on the piloting check.

The tilt determines a lot... When you actually fly, you'll choose how far you go and how sharp your turn will be, but otherwise the tilt shows the general direction you're headed.

So you show where you're going to a point.

Then the templates themselves are pretty cool.

If you use 2 templates (the minimum) on left or right tilt, you'll go straight ahead, then make a turn, then go straight some more.

If you use 3 templates, you'll go straight, turn and go forward, turn again and go forward a bit more.

So you always go straight at first and at the end. And you make 1 less turn than the number of templates you use.

This is all very unique in my opinion! Can't wait to actually play.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

It seems really bad to tilt right or left too early. It could take two turns to be able to go the opposite direction, in which the opponent could easily get away.
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Hello,

orcelfarmayone: Actually, in addition to being able to change your tilt one step in the tilt phase, you can make a pilot check when a bird is activated to change tilt another step. So, with a good pilot or a lucky roll you can go completely from left to right (two steps). So, it isn't quite as restrictive as you might be envisioning.

KAM

Quote Originally Posted by blkdymnd View Post
    So, at tilt up and center tilt, you're only option is to go straight, no turns correct?
    Hmm I'm thinking you can still try to do a pilot check to turn left or right, but I'm not sure. The other thing is, when you launch, you can face the bird any direction you want, so it's less of an issue anyway.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Hello,

blkdymnd: Tilt up is currently used only for launching from perched. You are correct--if you're at Center Tilt, then your flight templates are all aligned straight (no turns). However, you really have a lot of flexibility on where you end your movement. Also, keep in mind that the first template you place is always straight from the front of the bird.
    So, if you want straight with a little bit of turning, then that would be a Long + Short (for example), or if you want to cover more ground, a Long + Long (maybe + long if you want to sweep around).
    Players can practice a little bit with the templates and they will get the hang of the movement and where certain choices put you relative to the starting point. Combine that with all the interactions you can have while flying and it becomes a pretty interesting experience.

KAM

There are also numerous action cards that can affect your flight. Cards that allow you to turn on a dime, cards that make your bird fly faster, juke out of the way of other birds etc.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by blkdymnd View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I get the pilot check, which is a great mechanic for a switch on the fly, my question was just a basic mechanic question. Just making sure I had it right. I've always liked the Wings of War/X-Wing flight system and I think this is a great variant on that theme that totally works for the environment this plays in.

Just please tell me down the road, that we'll have hummingbird riders that can perform lateral movements
    Awesome! I love hummingbirds, I hope it happens too.

So far it seems like flight patterns are going to be huge with air to air combat, among other things. My curiosity is how often will multiple birds/pilots be in the air. Because I see a huge advantage to keeping your birds in a formation. Additionally, according to the rules you place your mission card anywhere close to the axis. Does this mean you can literally put it anywhere, which then can block, alter, etc flights paths for that round? Because this could be a huge tactic as well.

Hello,

Chief: The missions do not affect the ability of flying units, but you might (for example) place them such that your flying units shield them from other bird's swoop attacks.

blkdymnd: Hummingbirds...you never know. BUT, until such a time, you can perhaps take advantage of certain action cards that allow you to perform special shifts. For example, there is a card called "Veer" that allow you to perform some aerial tricks.

KAM

When flight paths crosses over a flying figure and a death spiral is not initiated, usually when a friendly bird, the base can interfere with you template placement. This is what i suggest;

Step 1. Hold crossing flight template about about 1/2 inch above the table, confirm that the moving bird will completely clear the crossed figure.
    Step 2. Place a currently unused flight template so the blue lines align or directly to the left or right of the unmoved figure's base. Which ever is easiest based on surroundings and will not block the flight path.
    Step 3. Remove the interfering figure, and finish placing your flight path and moving your bird.
    Step 4. Return interfering figure to the battle field, making sure to realign with the template the same way as before. And continue play.

It may seem a little tedious, but with all players cooperation i think it plays relatively smoothly. I also believe it is worth it to cut down on incidental shifts and pivots.