Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Tactics: Choosing a Mission - with complete mission list

Default Ground Tactics: Choosing a Mission - with complete mission list

This thread will be updated and adapted as we get more information about the missions however I would like to kick off the discussion and pose the following question.
    Which missions do you see as most useful, interesting, and potentially devastating

Complete Mission List

1. Decoy
    If you played a decoy mission, move all figures in your mission box to your home nest.

2. Intercept
    If you played an intercept mission, target an opponent’s mission box with a melee
    group attack. Your attack value for that group attack is based on the number of
    figures with melee attack value of 1+ currently in your mission box: 1 for each small
    figure or 3 for a large figure. Once all intercept missions are fully resolved, move
    any remaining figures in your mission box to your home nest.

3. Siege
    If you played a siege mission, move all figures in your mission box to any one
    tree (including the sapling) on the battlefield, and place them in a space or spaces
    adjacent to its trunk. If all the spaces adjacent to the trunk are full, place the
    figures in spaces as close to the trunk as possible.

4. Patrol
    If you played a patrol mission, target an opponent’s flying figure or drifting leaf
    anywhere on the battlefield for a ranged group attack. Your attack value for that
    group attack is based on the number of figures with ranged attack of 1+ in your
    mission box: 1 for each small figure or 3 for a large figure. After resolving the attack,
    move all figures in your mission box to your home nest.

5. Rescue
    If you played a rescue mission, and there are at least 2 figures currently in your
    mission box, move a bird/pilot figure from your casualty pile to your home nest.
    Add a number of wounds to the bird’s unit card equal to its pilot’s bonus life value
    (it comes back into play partially wounded). After resolving the mission, move all
    figures in your mission box to your home nest.

6. Special
    The rules for special missions are determined by the scenario.

My personal opinions have been listed below.
    1. Decoy
    I see decoy as a great way to re position all of your troops. Sure it can be used to play a mind game but the real value is that provides the opportunity to bring spread out ground units back to the nest, and form up a defense or get them out of danger. I also see the benefit of "nest walling", which I define as blocking the spaces adjacent to your nest. This could help with defense if played right.

2. Intercept
    This mission will really be timing based. The First Player Nut (FPN) will be important if there are no higher order missions to be intercepted. You can then launch an attack before your opponent. But Intercept will be huge in deterring sieges as well.

3. Siege
    I see it as one of the most powerful missions in the game. It gives you direct access to the home tree/nest and if you siege on a round with no Intercept missions being played, you could potentially get a huge 1up on the opponent. With that said Siege is timing based, you cannot siege without ensuring that you have a solid defense left in your home tree. Otherwise if there are multiple sieges then things could get messy real quick.

4. Patrol
    I usually see this mission being useful if you are losing the air game. But other applications involve targeting weakened air units and a leaf blitz It has to do with keeping the opponent occupied.

5. Rescue
    Pretty simple. I like it. I see myself rescuing whenever possible. Plus it gives all the same benefits of using a Decoy Mission.
    Last edited by Chief; 09-01-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Hello,

Chief: There's a few details here that I'd like to point out.

Decoy: You are right--a Decoy mission can trick an opponent into wasting a swoop attack, and may even return figures to your nest mid-turn. However, "nest-crowding" isn't a tactic that will prevent attacks. It could prevent a figure from being IN the nest, but you don't have to be on the nest space itself to attack it.

Intercept isn't only useful when you have the First player Nut. Missions occur in order, so if your opponent has First player, but you run an Intercept, when they are running a Siege, then you get to intercept their siege--that is perform a group attack against the figures assigned to that mission. Even if both sides sent Intercepts, you may prevail--especially if you are Vermin Raiders, who excel at Intercepts.

Siege: You can't send Perched Birds on missions at all. See 'Perched' in glossary.

Patrol: One thing to consider is that the Patrol can target flying units (or leaves) anywhere on the battlefield, AND the attacks can get pretty powerful, with the right units assigned to that mission.

I love that you're digging into the rules, in advance of getting the game, so I'm just giving you a little information about how the missions work. I think you'll quickly see how vital the missions are, and how choosing the right one at the right time affects the battle.

KAM

I like to use patrols to bring down wounded birds and also to thin out leaf blitzes.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Leaf blitzes, I can't wait.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

I essentially updated my first post. Great info from everyone! I had not thought of a leaf blitz being a thing yet, it didn't seem like you would have enough units to do so. But I guess these armies are going to be a little bigger than I imagined.
    To clarify myself however, I want to redefine "nest crowding" as "nest walling" aka walling of your nest. Obviously this idea is limited as of now but in my minds eye I see the option of using your units to block off all the spaces adjacent to your nest, allowing your opponent little to no access for attacks. I only seeing this being useful when you are under siege or a successful leaf blitz lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I essentially updated my first post. Great info from everyone! I had not thought of a leaf blitz being a thing yet, it didn't seem like you would have enough units to do so. But I guess these armies are going to be a little bigger than I imagined.
    To clarify myself however, I want to redefine "nest crowding" as "nest walling" aka walling of your nest. Obviously this idea is limited as of now but in my minds eye I see the option of using your units to block off all the spaces adjacent to your nest, allowing your opponent little to no access for attacks. I only seeing this being useful when you are under siege or a successful leaf blitz lands.
    Its really hard to do effectively, but it can be done.
    Always the Mice Guy!

I can only assume the best time to play a rescue mission is the same turn you anticipate losing a bird. Imagine how frustrating it would be for a player to focus so hard on defeating a bird ignoring the mission that will return that same bird back to play at the end of the same turn. Keep in mind that rescue is the last mission to activate so no matter how they might bring that bird down its gets brought right back. But if you wait until a bird has already fallen your enemy will be hunting that rescue mission.
    Last edited by Ravenchild; 09-12-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenchild View Post
    I can only assume the best time to play a rescue mission is the same turn you anticipate losing a bird.
    I see rescue missions useful in a few other ways. For example when you are expecting a siege or perhaps a bird is too far away to respond to an attack on your nest you could fly it out of bounds ... killing it. Then use rescue on the same turn to reinforce your defense. It would be timing contingent though. I think you are right however that planning a rescue on turn of death, via battle, will be the most useful way to utilize rescue.

Personally I found the rescue mission is really attractive and quite difficult to implement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast