Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessa's Base Deck: How Do You Win with It?

Default Jessa's Base Deck: How Do You Win with It?

Since I've received Ashes, I think I have played more than 30 games. However, I seems to have problems using Jessa's base deck to fight against the non-constructed decks of other Phoenixborn. Several weaknesses that Jessa has. First, her units are costly and this may put a restriction to have some dice remains to trigger Jessa's Scream of the Departed, Living Doll, and other card effects or abilities. Secondly, she has no cards that enable her to change dice facing. Third, she has no cards that can bring back dice from the exhausted pool. Fourth, some of the spell cards does not seem to provide much impact or is costly to trigger in the game such as Cut the String and Blood Transfer. Fifth, some cards are depending on Jessa having other cards to make it work like Redirect and Final Cry. For example, Redirect, you need to have a Unit on board and there is a danger of the Unit not surviving another turn or another round which can make Jessa's vulnerable to subsequent attacks as the path may be cleared.

Though in a constructed, Jessa can become more formidable by incorporating some of the following cards.
    • Expand Energy
    • Small Sacrifice
    • Sympathy Pain
    • Hypnotize (can help attacking units such as Blood Archer to bypass opposing PB's units and Blood Puppet)
    • Strengthen (can make Living Doll an attacking unit but will some Natural Dice)
    • Enchanted Violinist (being able to put down a cheap unit without paying any dice cost)
    • Anchornaut

However, I am currently interested to know how we can effectively use Jessa's deck in a non-constructed play. Does anyone feel that Jessa is difficult play with as compared to other Phoenixborn by using the base decks?

Jessas base deck is one of the more complicated decks to play in the base game. Once you get the hang of playing it, I've found it to to be fairly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzzworthy View Post
    Jessas base deck is one of the more complicated decks to play in the base game. Once you get the hang of playing it, I've found it to to be fairly powerful.

How do you get Jessa's deck to work? Would appreciate your sharing especially when fighting against other specific Phoenixborn.

Living Doll is the key. Blood Transfer, Cut the Strings, Undying Heart, Redirect, and Final Cry all combo so well with it. Blood Archer and Living Doll will make them not want to attack. I don't generally bother with Leech Warrior; I'd rather direct damage their Phoenixborn.
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
    Living Doll is the key. Blood Transfer, Cut the Strings, Undying Heart, Redirect, and Final Cry all combo so well with it. Blood Archer and Living Doll will make them not want to attack. I don't generally bother with Leech Warrior; I'd rather direct damage their Phoenixborn.
    Agreed. Just had a chance to play this deck last night. Took some time to figure out, but it's definitely a combo-based lockdown deck. You're trying to scare them into never attacking for fear of damaging their phoenixborn; if you're successful, damage your own units for benefits. It can take time to get the parts in place, for sure.

Jessa game is slow and steady unblockable damage, I found that I seldom actually want to attack with Jessa (with the exception turn two where you summon a blood archer and attack right away but this only works if the opponent has no allies). unblockables from screams of the departed, blood puppet, pain link (combo with undying and redirect!), and final cry. I found it useful to try and avgerage 4 unblockable damage a turn, if you can get that your opponent will be in trouble. I can't stress that redirect on a undying living doll combo enough once you get the opponent down to 5 life they will live in fear the rest of the match! Exactly what Jessa likes.

I played a bunch of Jessa vs Maeoni with my buddy (which I found to be a bit of a tough match up since he was really keen on filling blood puppet holes). Once I started doing the above our match up's got very close.
    App username: Let's play a game!

If you're willing to take out Cut the Strings for Small Sacrifice, I like to start with:
    1x Living Doll
    1x Blood Transfer
    1x Blood Archer
    1x Undying Heart
    1x Small Sacrifice

One great combo of her deck is Main Action, attack with Blood Archer and boost his attack by giving him 2 damage, side action Blood Transfer that 2 damage over to Living Doll, react with Pain Link and Screams of the Departed accordingly.

You can get this going as early as turn 2, but watch out for things that can exhaust your units, as it stops this cold. If you play against Aradel, you'll definitely need to Small Sacrifice + Pain Link to kill any Blue Jaguars first.

If you're going to keep Cut the Strings, you'll still be able to get the combo going, but it'll be tougher when the other player can exhaust your best units on demand.

Generally only play Aradel with Jessa if you want to lose. 1. Your summons will be exhausted. 2. Your then un-exhausted units will be exhausted. 3. Your then un-un-exhautsed units will then have reflection in the water played on them. At an point in time during their exhausted time(s), they will be killed by attacks, out of the mist, massive growth, water blast, nature dice. And this is all if Aradel decides to kill you slowly for the fun of it. She could just kill you PB with attacks while you are still in exhausted phase 2. And before you think there is hope, a really good Aradel player will have used her access to lots of illusion power dice to ping off any useful dice you actually rolled, forcing you to meditate constantly through your deck.

I think Jessa could be one of the best PB's for constructed play. I have never seen her win in pre-constructed play between two evenly matched opponents.

hm. aradel was tough but not unbeatable with jessa especially if your fears are not at the bottom of the deck. with the jessa pre con i try to wall up behind all the 3 health allies, annoy my opponent with the puppets and ping them down over time. if you look at all of jessa's cards they are incredibly defensive even though the blood archer might suggest she wants to play fast. so far she is my favorite phoenix born by far.

Reflections in the Water neuters Living Dolls. You can spend the Dice to Cut the Strings, but then you are just a Water Blast from losing your doll. Aradel is close to an impossible matchup for Jessa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast