Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jessa all-ceremonial deck

So I tried this mono-ceremonial deck tonight against Saria's and Meoni's suggested decks.

Against Meoni, it felt like I was always 1 turn away from victory before my opponent played Molten Gold and killed Jessa. I was still learning the deck's tricks so maybe I missed something the first time.

Played against Meoni again, same thing. So close to taking her out, then Molten Gold kills me.

Against Saria, no contest. Those Eagles with Magic Guard shut down all my tricks, can kill any unit I have without worrying about a counter, and are just the bane of the deck.

Overall, the deck feels too slow. One match-up I think would go well for it is against Aradel. The deck can ping-ping-ping once it gets going. That being said, I'm not convinced that mono-ceremonial is the way to go. The tricks the deck can pull are too focused and if the opponent has a reliable counter, you'll end up feeling pretty helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by brightknight_216 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think you can trigger Leech Warrior's to remove a dice from your opponent's active pool and put unit exhaust pool if he is exhausted. This is because a Unit lose all its abilities when exhausted (unless they are Inexhaustible).
    Yes, you're correct; the Leech Warrior would need to be unexhausted to launch that chain. You don't attack with the Leech Warrior all that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chiller087 View Post
    So I tried this mono-ceremonial deck tonight against Saria's and Meoni's suggested decks.

Against Meoni, it felt like I was always 1 turn away from victory before my opponent played Molten Gold and killed Jessa. I was still learning the deck's tricks so maybe I missed something the first time.

Played against Meoni again, same thing. So close to taking her out, then Molten Gold kills me.

Against Saria, no contest. Those Eagles with Magic Guard shut down all my tricks, can kill any unit I have without worrying about a counter, and are just the bane of the deck.

Overall, the deck feels too slow. One match-up I think would go well for it is against Aradel. The deck can ping-ping-ping once it gets going. That being said, I'm not convinced that mono-ceremonial is the way to go. The tricks the deck can pull are too focused and if the opponent has a reliable counter, you'll end up feeling pretty helpless.
    With the caveat that I haven't tried it against Saria, my thoughts:

- The deck isn't all that slow if you are willing to make liberal use of Fear and blocking with the PB. Also, a big part of this deck is keeping your presence up with Anchornauts, using ceremonial dice as needed to keep pulling them. If you really struggle with getting early board presence, then go ahead and pack the Sleeping Widows in your starting 5. (Honestly, only Final Cry and Bound Soul seem like bad choices for a starting 5.)

- Against Maeoni, fearing out her early snakes, and then trying to keep her occupied with Blood Puppets, can keep her under wraps. She can play Golden Veil, but you have enough sources of autowounding that it can be hard for her to build that well-fed snake. I'd probably start with Fear, Blood Puppets, Small Sacrifice, Leech Warrior, Anchornaut.

- Against Saria, remember that the Seaside Raven is still vulnerable to unit-based effects. They can be pinged by Anchornauts, and Shadow Drain still works against them. Also, Leech Warriors can kill them on the counter. Sympathy Pain is definitely a pain (although it doesn't work against Blood Puppet curses), but your autowounds can take out her non-Raven units. I'd probably drop Blood Puppets from my starting set in favor of Expand Energy, figuring that Abundance will be giving me more cards to play anyway.

- Aradel does definitely feel like a strong matchup, yes. You get to play screams a lot, and Blood Puppets get nasty if Aradel tries to ignore them.

All in all, I don't feel this deck is much less versatile than Jessa's base deck. You lose the Blood Archer's raw damage and battle advantage, but you have easy ways to bring units back between Ceremonial Dice Anchornauts and Bound Soul Leech Warriors, plus the cheap Widows. You still have the direct unit damage potential, it's just coming from small Sacrifice and chant of revenge instead of blood transfer and living dolls. You do lose cut the strings (although you can put it back in if you really like it!) but you gain a lot more dice play with expand energy. And of course you get the consistency that's inherent in hucking 10 of one dice type. All in all it's probably my current favorite deck to play, and I suspect I'll always have a soft spot for it.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

It's funny - I've come full circle from looking at one-dice type decks to trying to build 3-4 type decks like the ones I've posted. I'm definitely going to try this out though. I'm heading down to Texas next week and will probably meet up and play some ashes, so I might being my Mice & Mistics Aradel and then this deck, since Aradel uses Nat, Charm and Illusion.

Nice deck, man.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

A little unrelated, but how can Leech Warrior kill the Seaside Raven on the counter? Wouldn't the Seaside Raven's 3 attack kill it before it can strike back?
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
    A little unrelated, but how can Leech Warrior kill the Seaside Raven on the counter? Wouldn't the Seaside Raven's 3 attack kill it before it can strike back?
    Yes, right, of course. I was so focused on Magic Guard that I forgot about Battle Advantage. So really you need to lean on the anchornauts to take them out (or attack them in waves with sleeping widows so that they get exhausted). The nice thing about the anchornauts is that even if Saria makes you discard them, you can get them back. But the Seaside Ravens definitely make life difficult for Leech Warriors as long as they are in play.

I've been having a lot of trouble beating Saria with most decks. Battle Advantage on a conjugation is so good. I used Anchornaut in Dimona to kill them, but then I can never take out everything else as well, like 3-eyed and Violinist.

I really like this deck, although I haven't tried it. Doesn't it feel a little weird to not have Living Doll and Blood Transfer in Jessa?
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

I've been having a lot of trouble beating Saria with most decks. Battle Advantage on a conjugation is so good. I used Anchornaut in Dimona to kill them, but then I can never take out everything else as well, like 3-eyed and Violinist.
    Anchornauts are so good. Honestly, they might be my favorite card in the game. I'm tempted to throw them in every deck except Maeoni's, and certainly any deck with Ceremonial dice.

But yeah, those Ravens are nasty. I have less experience with Saria than anything, so I can't comment too much on it.

Doesn't it feel a little weird to not have Living Doll and Blood Transfer in Jessa?
    Eh, not really. It's worthwhile to remember that the only things that really define a PB's deck are the PB herself and, to some extent, her unique card. Even the unique card can be left out if you want, although that's usually a bad idea. As Jexik noted, Jessa's power and unique card don't require any special magic type. So really, you could run any deck with her you want -- she could run Coal's deck (Fear instead of 100 Blades) with Coal's dice, for example.

Blood Transfer and Living Doll don't have any real special synergy with Cries of the Fallen or Fear. They're just a way to do direct damage. They are potentially quite strong, don't get me wrong, but I have found them tricky to set up when I've played with them. Honestly, the only card in Jessa's deck that does have unusually strong synergy with Jessa's power is the Blood Puppets. I don't really like Jessa's other ready spells that much; cut the strings and Blood Transfer really only do you good when you have the living doll setup, so they can be weak once you lose momentum.

I also find it interesting that Jessa is the only one of the six PBs who does not fill her spellboard using her base deck. Ready spells, particularly ones that don't cost a lot to cast, are pretty strong in this game. So I'm very comfortable dropping Jessa's two more situational ready spells, plugging in a couple very cheap and easy to play ready spells in Expand Energy and Chant of Revenge, and then plugging in Small Sacrifice in as a slightly more consistent twist on the Living Doll/Blood Transfer combo.

I decided to put some Violinist in Jessa's deck. With them, you can forgo Call of the Realms and instead meditate to discard one card off your draw pile and then trigger the Violinist to do one damage on something. So you get to do things with one side action and basic die. With Anchornaut, you can do two damage in one turn, enough to kill it without it having a chance to retaliate.
    Winter is Coming...

Brilliant, glenn3e. I could see dropping two Final cries for two violinists. Most of the time they would just be meat shields and a way to make meditation more productive, but you'd probably put one in the starting five against Saria. A little direct damage that can get to the ravens might be all you need to swing that matchup.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Just wanted to tell you I had this ran against me in Dallas on Tuesday. My friend Adam played his first game against me with this deck. I used my Aradel Mice & Mistics deck in what was like my 2nd full game of Ashes. He was able to do a ton of cool things with my help early in the game, using your Anchornaut / Ceremonial Dice craziness, and Fearing my Blue Jaguars, all while pinging Aradel. Each round though, eventually I'd get rid of the Anchornaut and then push some damage through on Jessa with Gilders + Massive Growth or something else. Eventually I got him down low enough that I could end the game with Sympathy Pain / Molten Gold and take the win, but I really liked how the cards in this deck worked together. It looked like a lot of fun to run and worked fluidly.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast