Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jessa all-ceremonial deck

Default Jessa all-ceremonial deck

I was toying around with the self-wounding actions (wasn't actually thinking of Jessa at first) and I came to an idea of playing a deck with all ceremonial dice, built around that mechanic.

Jessa
    10 Ceremonial Dice

Chant of Revenge x3
    Expand Energy x3
    Small Sacrifice x3
    Summon Blood Puppet x3

Bound Soul x3
    Fear x3
    Final Cry x3
    Summon Sleeping Widows x3

Anchornaut x3
    Leech Warrior x3

Starting 5: Expand Energy, Small Sacrifice, Summon Blood Puppet, Anchornaut, Leech Warrior

This sort of hyper-focused deck seems like it would play very consistently.

EDIT: tweaked the starting five a little.
    Last edited by dok; 08-06-2015 at 12:50 AM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I feel like (in my head, no testing) that one-man type decks would perform the best in general...
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    I feel like (in my head, no testing) that one-man type decks would perform the best in general...
    I'm not totally sure, because there are good cross synergies available in the different types, and obviously some of the strong units actually require multiple types. But rolling 10 of one dice sure seems to protect you from the worst variance effects. I think it's less that all-one is clearly better and more that it's less likely to really crap out on you.

It's also worth noting that there's not a ton of wiggle room to construct decks like this currently. I'm using every ceremonial card in the game except Cut the Strings (well, and Bring Forth, but that's useless without Summon False Demon). I suspect the number of possible cards for all-charm, all-natural, or all-illusion decks are similar or lower. I didn't set out to create a one-mana deck, I just kind of stumbled into it because it all fit together, and I reached the spot where I saw that just swapping in one card would get me to all-ceremonial.

But the self-wounding synergy here does get kind of crazy. Say I have a 1-life exhausted Leech Warrior sitting out there that my opponent is probably killing next turn. I activate Small Sacrifice, wound an opponent's figure, wound the Leech Warrior, exhaust one of my opponent's power dice, destroy the Leech Warrior, exhaust a Chant of Revenge to wound my opponent again, play Final Cry to do two more damage, and then for a side action bring back an Anchornaut to my hand. That's four direct damage in one turn, with some ally cycling to boot, all at the cost of 2 power and 1 class symbol for me, plus taking away one power symbol from my opponent. And if I killed anything in there (likely) then Jessa's power is triggering, too, for basic magic. I used up a good chunk of magic that turn, but hey, I can just expand energy and do a lot of that stuff again once my spellboard is set up.

EDIT: max 1 reaction spell, so no sleeping widows in the silly chain there.
    Last edited by dok; 08-05-2015 at 09:02 PM.

After looking into it a little, this seems like the most reasonably optimal deck that's all one magic type. The second best would probably be an Aradel deck that goes all-natural, with her Jaguars, Iron Rhinos, Butterfly Monks, and Empower as her spellboard, and then Spiked Armor, Root Armor, and Molten Gold for sure. After that you have Massive Growth for the Butterfly Monks, and... that's it. Last cards could be Call Upon The Realms, or some Anchornauts/Iron Workers I guess.

The other two magic types don't seem to have a good pure deck yet. Saria could reasonably pull off an all-charm deck, using Enchanted Violinists as well, but when I look at the set of available spells it feels a little disjointed. Illusion is even worse since each illusion-using Phoenixborn uses another magic type for either their power or their unique card. There's just not a good deck there.

Super interesting deck concept, and I like the idea of rolling 10 of one type of die.

One small edit to your crazy chain: only one reaction spell per turn, so you get Summon Sleeping Widows or Final Cry, but not both. But it would still be a pretty epic turn.

Having gotten several plays with this deck, the only change I'm leaning towards is dropping one or two of the Final Cries for Call Upon the Realms. You use the power dice to bring back Anchornauts a lot, and you also need them to get out your Expand Energy. I find I rarely have a goat on hand to play Final Cry, and end up just meditating with it, so dropping one or two in favor of a power that gives more goats seems like the obvious move.

It's a very fun and unique deck to play. You basically never attack the PB; in fact you rarely attack at all except with your Sleeping Widows.

Yeah, attacking the PB directly seems bad even with basic Jessa. You don't want them chump-blocking with the blood puppets. This definitely seems like a fun deck worth trying.

Like Coal, neither Jessa's ability nor Fear take any class-specific dice. I've wondered about making some kind of Burn deck with her, if that's even possible.
    Last edited by Jexik; 08-13-2015 at 03:43 PM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    Yeah, attacking the PB directly seems bad even with basic Jessa. You don't want them chump-blocking with the blood puppets. This definitely seems like a fun deck worth trying.

Like Coal, neither Jessa's ability nor Fear take any class-specific dice. I've wondered about making some kind of Burn deck with her, if that's even possible.
    I've considered this as well, but just haven't had time to sit down and figure it out. Colby just yelled at me today for not being on the Ashes train yet - i.need to hop on
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by dok View Post
    an Aradel deck that goes all-natural,
    Ha!! 😜. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dok View Post

But the self-wounding synergy here does get kind of crazy. Say I have a 1-life exhausted Leech Warrior sitting out there that my opponent is probably killing next turn. I activate Small Sacrifice, wound an opponent's figure, wound the Leech Warrior, exhaust one of my opponent's power dice, destroy the Leech Warrior, exhaust a Chant of Revenge to wound my opponent again, play Final Cry to do two more damage, and then for a side action bring back an Anchornaut to my hand. That's four direct damage in one turn, with some ally cycling to boot, all at the cost of 2 power and 1 class symbol for me, plus taking away one power symbol from my opponent. And if I killed anything in there (likely) then Jessa's power is triggering, too, for basic magic. I used up a good chunk of magic that turn, but hey, I can just expand energy and do a lot of that stuff again once my spellboard is set up.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think you can trigger Leech Warrior's to remove a dice from your opponent's active pool and put unit exhaust pool if he is exhausted. This is because a Unit lose all its abilities when exhausted (unless they are Inexhaustible).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast