Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GenCon2015...a Doug's post action report

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    It provided more access to the attendee, although I realize that it requires more manpower (or womanpower) to keep it running.
    I'm sure lots of people have lots of better suggestions, but bottom line for me (and I think some others) is that GenCon is bursting at the seams, and they've really not done anything during this period of massive growth to really improve their setup to deal with this.
    KAM
    womanpower

They're talking about maybe expanding into Lucas Oil stadium in the future, although who knows how soon that would happen, or what kind of crowds it would take to make that happen.
    I <3 SERA

Quote Originally Posted by cmarie View Post
    womanpower

They're talking about maybe expanding into Lucas Oil stadium in the future, although who knows how soon that would happen, or what kind of crowds it would take to make that happen.
    Hello,

Well, if I was talking specifically about the PHG booth, I could have simply said "Dougpower" as we know this has been established to apply to anyone.

It seems to me that the Convention center has enough actual floor space, but that the Exhibit hall boundaries might need to be broken. But what do I know? Oh right--I know that what they've got now is a bit of a hassle.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of crowds, but it really didn't bother me that much. I was able to get around pretty well overall. I just think that they might be able to tweak things a bit for a little bit better experience.

One example I saw: Blue Orange games had a row of tables where they were running New York 1901 Demos--in the player hall. That was a nice side area they could use even when the main hall was closed.

I guess I really like the idea of a Main Exhibit and smaller one that runs longer and features the "hot" thing. That means more people will have more time to access it, and perhaps lower the pressure at the main booth a bit. BUT...perhaps marketing gurus say--you want that "pressure"--not really my area.
    As a consumer--easier access is what's important to me, and gives me more opportunity to buy.

Well, I really derailed this thread didn't I?

Anyone else have GenCon Recollections they'd like to share? I'd love to hear more.

KAM

BTBAM is offline Loves the cheese. And vlogging! Geek Swagger extraordinaire. Record holder for most User titles.

I'm glad my one reference in this thread is me being an asshat to cmarie.
    A Doug's Guide To Summoner Wars - Fan Podcast

LATEST PODCASTS 01-17-2014
    Episode 16 - Phoenix Elves - Prince Elien Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp16.mp3
    Episode 17 - Phoenix Elves - Queen Maldaria Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp17.mp3
    Episode 18 - Phoenix Elves - Reinforcements & Deck Building
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp18.mp3
    Subscribe on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...rs/id595149788

We all have our special talents.
    I <3 SERA

Quote Originally Posted by BTBAM View Post
    I'm glad my one reference in this thread is me being an asshat to cmarie.
    Bwah-Hah!

But you got at least one more mention--I lamented not getting any of your coffee.

KAM

Wow! You remembered meeting me!

That's awesome, seems like you (like me) had a great time at Gen Con.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

GenCon was epic! So much to do, so many cool people to meet.
    Some highlights:
    -Meeting all the crew. I have a bit of trouble tying the IRL names into the forum names (Did I meet KAM?) I did fail to run into cmarie
    -Playing Emerson's prototype game with Emerson, Colby, and Rodney Smith. Cool!
    -Playing codenames different times with different groups comprising Joe, Brian, Bistro, and all the awesome volunteers
    -Playing Emerson's prototype again, with Isaac and others. And that dwarf game...
    -Meeting the Summoner Wars tournament scene crew. (Again, kinda phuzzy on forum names... I know I saw you Colgha. And Clarissimus was one, but which one...) Also, tying for 3rd place in 5 for fighting, and taking 1st place in Pick your Poison Sunday. You've never seen such a laid back, friendly, and inviting tournament scene as the SW tourney scene.
    -Gaming, hanging out, and meeting everybody. I know I already pretty much said this, but such a huge highlight. Oh! going to dinner with people...
    -I guess I picked up some loot? Imperial Assault wave 2 stuff, game organizers from broken token
    Disappointments:
    - I too missed my chance to play Phuzzworthy in some Ashes games There will be other chances
    - There were brownies? And I missed them?! Noooo!
    - The whole thing flew by so fast it was over before we knew it. While I got a good few games in with people, I would have liked to join in on more. Next year I suppose...
    ^i.e. not enough games with all the cool people
    All in all a crazy good time. Thankyou Plaid Hat for making it so enjoyable.

Hello,

Maniacalraven: I sometimes go by my real name (Keith), so we might have met. I was briefly there while Emerson's game was being played on Wednesday (but I didn't play).

Colgha: Now, you I did meet, briefly...I think it was Saturday evening at PHG central?

KAM

I am a little late to the posting party, but I thought I would chime in. This was my first Gen Con, so it was quite overwhelming to me.

Some of the highlights for me:
    1. Meeting everyone from PHG and these forums! Sometimes I feel like I already know the podcast crew, but being able to actually meet them was a treat.
    2. Please see #1. (It really was pretty awesome)
    3. Getting the chance to introduce my favorite games to all the people that said "I have heard of this one, but never played. Can you tell me more about it?" This was an amazing experience. I am already talking to my local game store about setting up a recurring Plaid Hat demo night. (Any ideas for a witty title?)
    EDIT:
    4. How could I forget to include meeting Fernanda! Not only is she a fantastic artist, she was one of the nicest people I've met. Certainly a candidate for the nice off non-battle royale.

I think my biggest regret was that I was staying so far out of town. If I am lucky enough to be invited back next year, I certainly want to get a hotel room near by. I ended up having to leave earlier than I wanted to each night and missed out on some gaming with some truly amazing people.

And I missed the brownies too...

I would like to say thank you to the gamers who stopped by and let me show them all these great games.
    Thank you to the fellow volunteers who made it feel like I was hanging out with friends that I had known for years and of course thank you to Plaid Hat for inviting me and treating all of us so well. This was a better experience than I could have ever hoped for and I truly hope I get the chance to do it again next year. 356 days to Gen Con 2016!
    Last edited by knucklehead; 08-07-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Hello,

Knucklehead: Not too late at all. It does change the experience to not be staying right there local to the Con. I've been lucky the last two years to get a hotel attached to the Convention center, but with the numbers, that's a big toss up year to year.

As far as Fernanda--I didn't get to talk to her either--she was just busy, or I was. But I saw the Team Covenant Interview with her that was very good. And my wife was able to talk to her for a minute and get two cards autographed (Mist Spirit and Butterfly Monk).

I forgot to mention, meeting Mr. Bistro, at least briefly, when I picked up my badge, and running across him in the booth here and there. I think under that gravely voice is a mother hen. When I saw him, he always seemed to be checking on people--to see if they needed water, food, etc.

KAM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast