Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GenCon2015...a Doug's post action report

Default GenCon2015...a Doug's post action report

Hello Fellow Dougs,

Well. GenCon 2015 Happened. I have to say it was quite a blur, and over before I knew what was happening.

Got in Wednesday, and heard the news about PHG and F2Z, which honestly bowled me over. I helped set up the booth in the SAUNA everyone apparently mistook for the Exhibit Hall. It was a swarm of sweaty dougs busily getting things together, and passing games down a fire-brigade line--all working together like a finely tuned machine. So, setup actually seemed to go pretty quick.

After mopping off, I set up the Mice and Mystics tables and then headed out to get hosed off.

Later that night, I met up with some Plaid Hat Folks and got to Play Alex's Buddy Cop prototype, which was a lot of fun. It was myself/Jay vs Cory/Alex M. vs PlaidhatJames/Cody. Team Cory/Alex M. took away with win. However, I made a enemy (or maybe lifelong friend--hard to say) out of Cody by repeatedly ripping off his tokens. Hopefully, we gave Alex some useful feedback.

Thursday was the big opening of course, and I spend my morning Demoing M&M, and glancing over at the Mountain of PHG games (especially Ashes) melting away steadily. That afternoon, I hit the hall, and picked up a number of games (more on that later). That night I played a games and hung out with some of my local friends in the hall.

I forgot to mention pre-opening, I walked around with Knucklehead looking at the various booths, scoping out things to see.

More later...

KAM
    Last edited by KAM; 08-04-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Addition

Hello Dougs,

So, continuing the GenCon Report, that I'm sure at least 2 people will read...

Friday: Well, this was probably my low point. Just got up on the wrong side of the bed I guess, and I had a full day of Demoing ahead of me. And THAT as it turns out made my day a lot brighter. I had some folks that were really enthusiastic to learn Mice and Mystics, and I had a lot of fun teaching them. I hope they got a fun play experience as well. My throat was feeling pretty strained by that time however, threatening to repeat the problems from 2014.
    We went out to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (just a short walk from the Con), and had a pretty delicious meal. So, that was a nice way to end the day.
    I talked to friends about some gaming, but ended up just staying in.

Saturday: I had the morning shift on Mice and Mystics, and another meeting, which went off smoothly. We also finalized plans for the long-anticipated game of Quantum with Jerry, Alex, cmarie and myself--to occur later that night.
    I spent a little additional time at the front of the booth, answering questions about Tail Feather and Mice and Mystics.
    Then I hit the exhibit hall with a dedicated drive from one end to the other. I picked up things here and there, but what I really wanted to find was stuff to bling out my games--tokens, storage, etc. However, I didn't find nearly as much as I hoped to.

Saturday Night: I grabbed dinner at California Pizza Kitchen...which was surprisingly easy to get seated...on GenCon Saturday?! Call ahead people, call ahead.
    Then it was off to meet up for the Quantum Game. Cmarie brought her copy (thanks for that), and we sat down in a quiet room, cold as a refrigerator (good, Space is cold and dark as well), and got to playing.
    Long story short: Jerry has a reputation of being a "nice guy" and he is, but he left that at home that night. He bashed through the game with feverish aggression; Destroy, DESTROY, DESTROY! It was pretty brutal.
    I was just trying to peacefully colonize some planets, and all three of these cruel opponents beat the snot out of me (repeatedly).
    Then after winning, he gloated (see twitter feed). Horrific. But what are you gonna do. Lose some, lose some.
    And then after gloating--he took off!

So, I finished the night playing King of New York, News @ 11, and this other picture matching game I don't know the name of with Alex, Colby, cmarie, Todd, and Tim.
    Colby won King of New York.
    I'm not sure who WON News @ 11, but I'm pretty sure I lost...well, definitely sure. I SUCKED at that "game" if you can call it that. Felt dumb, but I did laugh a lot at the other players' superior news reporting skills. Colby's impression of newcaster slowly descending into some sort of fit was something to behold, and Alex...well, he has a natural broadcaster presence.
    Forgot-the-name matching game: I actually won, but 1 point. YAY...random.

Sunday wrap-up later.

KAM

Great report KAM! Yeah, [email protected] wasn't really my thing either, but it was fun. The hardest part was trying to come up with a story and a character at the same time. (Maybe I could do one or the other on a good day.) If it makes you feel any better, I thought you did great.

The picture matching game was called Pluckin' Pairs.

What a great game of Quantum we had. So much fun to play with all of you guys, thanks so much. It was one of the highlights of my convention. KAM, how many sixes do you think Alex rolled?!? They just kept coming over and over. Then Jerry would take the same exact die and roll a 2. Unbelievable.

I think Todd took this picture of Jerry's victory.

Also had a good time playing part of a very rowdy game of Codenames and meeting joepinion and Colgha!

I didn't get to play a single game of Summoner Wars during Gen Con, but I did pose by the beautiful sign! Sorry the photo is so huge, I would size it down if I knew how...

For anyone who is still reading, my Gen Con geeklist is HERE. The Plaid Hat folks also got brownies from me on Saturday. I wanted to make a plaid design in red and white frosting and even bought the supplies for it, but I was concerned that the butter would just melt on the way to the convention center so I didn't do it. Then BTBAM criticized my napkins and said they weren't plaid enough.
    Last edited by cmarie; 08-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    I <3 SERA

The North Carolinians get VERY excited about Codenames.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Hello,

Joe: North Carolina Folks seem to get excited about all kinds of games.

cmarie: Well, Alex rolled 3 in a row several times I'd say, and overall...at least 66%. It was insane how badly he was rolling.

KAM

GenCon was a great experience, I'm so glad I got to meet and hang out with so many of you, and also sad I didn't get a chance to hang out very much with cmarie and KAM. Even the trip back to Ohio with Isaac and Joe was awesome. Can't wait till next year!

Edit: cheer up KAM, at least 78 people have read this!

At least we got to meet each other, Phuzz! I should have included you up above!
    I <3 SERA

Hello,

Phuzzworthy: 78...well, that's not so bad.
    We didn't get to play Ashes, but I do appreciate the offers for teaching. I did get a game in, and I'm looking forward to playing with the decks a bit. One of my friends is really wanting to get into it (it is his favorite sort of game), so I might be looking to you for advice.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM; 08-05-2015 at 12:56 AM.

anytime KAM

Hello Dougs,

Ok, finishing up the GenCon 2015 recollections.

I headed over to the hall Sunday morning at 9:00, and took a quick look around at the few things I hadn't been able to see (like the Asmodee booth), and then headed to PHG to help break demos down so there would be room for the Ashes Tournament. I hung around the front of the booth answering questions about Tail Feathers and Mice and Mystics, noting that there were only a handful of S&R and DWT remaining. I'm guessing they sold out.
    Then I had a sit down with Jerry to discuss some Tail Feathers business, and then it was time to start wrapping up. Had to get home fairly early on Sunday. So, I said goodbye to a few folks, and headed off.

On my way to pick up the family, I picked up just a few more games, and filled out my 'Alien Encounters' collection. Funny how there is a strong desire to LIGHTEN my wallet, and replace it with much heavier game boxes. We made the mistake of making a "quick stop" at Starbucks on the way out. I was desperate for coffee by that time. I guess I have to room with Brian next time to avoid that sort of withdrawal.

Then we headed home, GenCon 2015 was done...for us. Good news...we didn't have a dead car battery this year, so that was a MUCH better ending.

Ok, so GenCon 2015 in review. Well, it was a bit of a rollercoaster for me. I did a poor job of planning my convention activities, and although I did actually get several plans accomplished (like Playing Quantum with Jerry, cmarie and Alex), I missed others, like playing Ashes with Phuzzworthy. However, other unplanned things--like playing Alex's 'Buddy Cop' game happened, so still lots of fun.

GenCon 2015 itself was, as I said, a bit of a blur. It was crowded, and hectic, but not horrible. I do think that the Con could be significantly improved. I also went to Origins 2015, and while it was a significantly smaller Con, I think it's general setup was much better. There are just too many exhibitors packed into the hall, with giants booths like FFG, Asmodee, and Mayfair taking up huge areas, and some of those having massive (continued) lines.
    It seems to me (attendee) that if there is such a high demand, that perhaps those folks need to move out to another area, where they can have better management of their "stores" they set up with more time to access them.
    Origins had their play hall where companies could set up play areas with displays and some retail sales as well, and they were open much later. It provided more access to the attendee, although I realize that it requires more manpower (or womanpower) to keep it running.
    I'm sure lots of people have lots of better suggestions, but bottom line for me (and I think some others) is that GenCon is bursting at the seams, and they've really not done anything during this period of massive growth to really improve their setup to deal with this.

So, it was great to see everyone. The PHG crew and volunteers are a pretty fun group of people, and I enjoyed seeing them all. Like most things (for me), it feels like just when I'm getting into the swing of things, it is over. I guess that means I just am going to be looking forward to the next thing.

KAM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast