Thread: Focus and exhaustion? Oh and multiple alterations on one unit

Default Focus and exhaustion? Oh and multiple alterations on one unit

I just want to make sure we are playing this right. First, when we have multiple copies of a spell that are stacked to focus a spell (i.e., the Summon the Silver Snake with a Focus 2) can you still cast this spell multiple times in a round, or does the one exhaust token count for all of the cards (basically are they a single unit at that point?).

Second, a question came up last night about Spiked Armor, can you have more than one alteration spell on a single unit-for example, could the Iron Rhino have more than one Spiked Armor on it to give a multiple effect? I assume the answer is no, but want to make sure I am thinking right.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by MBohne View Post
    I just want to make sure we are playing this right. First, when we have multiple copies of a spell that are stacked to focus a spell (i.e., the Summon the Silver Snake with a Focus 2) can you still cast this spell multiple times in a round, or does the one exhaust token count for all of the cards (basically are they a single unit at that point?).

Second, a question came up last night about Spiked Armor, can you have more than one alteration spell on a single unit-for example, could the Iron Rhino have more than one Spiked Armor on it to give a multiple effect? I assume the answer is no, but want to make sure I am thinking right.

Thanks for your help
    1. When Spells are focused, they still count as separate spells. So if I have two copies of Summon Silver Snake out, I can conjure 2 silver snakes per round. Similarly, I remove 2 exhaustion tokens from it during the recover phase.

2. I am not sure, but I would think you can. The rulebook never states that you can't.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by MBohne View Post
    You would gain the additional +2 life from a second spiked armor, but the unit already has spiked skin from the first spiked armor, a second copy does not grant another instance of the ability.

Yes, a unit can have multiple alterations, even of the same type, attached to them.

Sorry for ressurecting this thread, but my question is relevant with focusing and exhaustion, though more focused on the aftermath.

Let's say you entered the recovery phase, with a focused 2 spell that you used three times: do you remove exhaustion tokens from each card separately, thereby removing all three tokens, or do you only remove 1 one as they only count as one slot in your spell-board?

Does this work the same goes for a readied spell without a particular focus benefit?

The cards are still separate spells even though they're stacked. The stacking is just to help show that they don't take up extra spellboard slots and that they're focused.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    The cards are still separate spells even though they're stacked. The stacking is just to help show that they don't take up extra spellboard slots and that they're focused.
    OK, thanks for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    OK, thanks for the quick reply!
    Just keep a note to yourself that it's not using the spell three times, but using each copy of the spell once. It's good to know what's actually going on, in case of new things like, I dunno, spells that can be used twice in a turn, or something like that.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.