Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ever DIY insert

Default First ever DIY insert

So I have been meaning to make my own DIY box insert for a few other games (looking at you Dow) and have never gotten around to it. With all the prettiness of Ashes I thought it needed something better.

So here it is. First time doing something like this and it wasn't that hard. Took about two hours.

27a.jpg

27.jpg

I like! I am going to be doing a similar concept but I'll be standing the cards sideways like in the alliances box.

That's pretty slick Gene, is it balsa wood or styrofoam, cardboard material..?

Carve it in frozen Ash people..!

Foam core. I've got a materials list posted on BGG, but no real building directions.

I'd love to see some sort of tutorial. I've been thinking about doing some foamcore inserts for some of my games. I have no clue where to start and yours looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaKnight View Post
    I'd love to see some sort of tutorial. I've been thinking about doing some foamcore inserts for some of my games. I have no clue where to start and yours looks awesome!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3tcH1bGK6vHz2R

My thread on BGG has a link and materials list as well. It was pretty easy to make, just take your time.

Hey Genestealer, I made one too! And I also used those same videos. The guy is really helpful.
    pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg
    I have 6 trays for the cards, an area for the dice, and a long tray that has Dimona/reference cards and another smaller insert with the tokens. Each tray can actually hold 3 decks of cards, so I'm really set. The dice tray is the only part hat I'm a bit concerned about, but I still have enough space for about twice as many dice as I have now. It's pretty similar to yours, I just put the tabs for my fingers in the center row instead of on the sides.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Very nice. Working on my insert for Dead of Winter today.

Quote Originally Posted by Genestealer View Post
    Very nice. Working on my insert for Dead of Winter today.
    Thank you! May I ask how your insert fits? I ended up making my side walls a tiny bit too big, and well... the insert fits very snug. Snug to the point where I can't actually remove it. Also, the foamcore did fray up on me when I started cutting. you can see that it the edges, which I did first, and are rough/uneven as a result. The inner dividers are the neatest because I did them last.

I don't think I'll do one for DoW. I bought two sheets of foamcore, used one up on Ashes (trial and error, with an emphasis on error). I need the other for BattleLore 2.0. Even if you don't have it, all you have to know is it is a FFG Game with minis. Yikes. However, if you look around on the website of that guy who did the foamcore videos, he actually has foamcore build instructions for a lot of games, including DoW, Bioshock Infinite: SoC, and the aforementioned BL2. So that will be very helpful.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast