Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver snake's "Consume" ability

Default Silver snake's "Consume" ability

I would like to clarify the following situation:

If I use my hammer knight to attack the last silver snake remaining on the battlefield with 3 status token on it and they destroy each other. Does my knight get consumed i.e. Goes out of the game or does she go to my discard pile ?

Does the active player get to choose wether the snake's consume ability trigger before it is destroyed or
    not ?

P.s. Keep up the amazing work PHG.

Thanks

If they both assign equal damage to there health total they die and no abilities resolve as both are now removed to the discard conjure piles

Quote Originally Posted by ImDoneItsOver View Post
    If they both assign equal damage to there health total they die and no abilities resolve as both are now removed to the discard conjure piles
    so you are saying that i don't get to activate the hammer knight's "aftershock" ability and and place one more wound ?

While I don't have an "official" answer, I can chime in with my two cents huh..!
    Your question is a valid one but I'm not sure you typed enough specifics for us to understand the issue.

Firsties, you have your Hammer Knight attacking only a Silver Snake and there is no other units on the Snakes side? Because, as ImDone stated, you're both doing enough damage to each other to kill one another and the Aftershock power is used to hurt a different unit (or any remaining unit).
    If your Hammer Knight's four attack are enough to kill the Snake, there's no room for an extra damage, not on the snake nor on any other units because there are none present.

The Aftershock card says "you may..." and it's only used to hurt other units, not a Phoenix. So to me, thematically, this guy's hammer is so big that it does some area affect damage when it's slammed. The extra damage can go to the unit that was struck, if it has any life left OR it can hurt a neighboring unit on the same side of the battlefield.

The second part of your question, does the Consume power take effect and I would say yes, it does because the wording of the card is clear, the snake consumes the enemy.
    If you need good themes for this one, picture the snake eating the Hammer Knight and while he's in all those acid juices bein' digested, he slams his hammer and the snake has a heart rupture, it falls over but that Knight's not gettin' out, he's too badly acidified, their intertwined messy corpses sizzle and smoke on the side of the battlefield eh.

Hope this helps, Carve it in frozen Ash people..!

You explanation makes so much sense. thank you for taking the time to to draw the theme for the encounter.

However, i would like to elaborate on this a bit .

lets say i had a hammer knight and my opponent had a gilder and a silver snake with 3 tokens. I attack his silver snake with my hammer knight. he chooses to counter with his snake .

now three things/effects happen:

1- the snake and the knight fight each other and i put 3 wounds on the hammer knight and 4 wounds on the silver snake and they die.
    2- hammer knight aftershock ability trigger and i choose to put the additional wound on the gilder.
    3- silver snake consume ability trigger putting a status token on it and forcing the hammer knight out of the game.

it says on the rulebook that "If any game effects would ever seem to trigger simultaneously, the player whose turn it is decides in which order they will resolve. If it isnít any playerís turn, the player with the first player token decides"

If i understand this correctly : as the attacker i choose to trigger effect number 2 first then number 1 then skip effect number 3 since the snake is dead.

And if the my opponent was is the attacker with his silver snake then he chooses to trigger number 3 then 1 and skip number 2 since the knight is dead.

I hope i explained the situation clearly.

Hum...
    I think you spelled out your instance well, I also think the question involves timing and while there aren't too many specifics we can look at for precedents, mabes we can make some logical guesses while we wait for others to chip in eh.
    I think the effects of combat between two units happens at the same time and there's no doubt there, your number one effect is non negotiable right.
    As to which other effect happens "when", well I still think you get the Aftershock (because that Gilder is just sittin' there waitin' for his turn, he feels the ground shake when the hammer falls, he takes the wound)...
    And I think the Consume happens "slightly" and sorta around the same time.
    The Hammer Knight did in fact, attack the Snake, he did receive wounds that did destroy himself and he's covered in the sizzling ooze so I don't see how you could argue that your Knight wouldn't be sent to the locker rooms to sulk huh.
    It comes up when we have Spiked Armor too, the theme is that anyone who "touches" the guy with the Armor, takes the damage.

So your effect number three above, has two separate actions, the Status token and the "removal from the game" and while I can't see puttin' a token on a dead snake, I can see the removal happening, I mean, what came to the Knight's rescue with the decontamination pool all the sudden..?
    The overall theme of the Snake is that it eats people, things, monsters, whatever happens to be in front of it. It doesn't care if it killed it, it's Gilder friend killed it, the Phoenix, doesn't matter. That snake's hungry, he's going to eat everything that falls on the ground all day every eh.
    When it eats you, see you bye, no more coming back to life zombie style, no search through your discard with the Ceremonial dice power.

I think this quote from the rulebook "If any game effects would ever seem to trigger simultaneously, the player whose turn it is decides in which order they will resolve. If it isnít any playerís turn, the player with the first player token decides"
    Well it needs a different example for when we would use this. If anyone else can help 'splain this one, do carve it in some frozen Ash people..!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Can someone post the exact card text here? It would be nice to see that...

As a community we need to get better in the habit of doing that with rules questions, at least until the cards are linked like for SW
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Can someone post the exact card text here? It would be nice to see that...

As a community we need to get better in the habit of doing that with rules questions, at least until the cards are linked like for SW
    I hope this helps . Sorry for the lack of card text earlier
    Attached Images Attached Images

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Thr way I read it, both abilities would activate.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Aftershock will always resolve during this interaction. The Hammer Knight would be placed in the discard pile, not removed from the game, in your example. The Hammer Knight is attacking so the Hammer Knights controller is the active player. The destruction effects from dammage both trigger simultainiously. The active player chooses to resolve the destruction of the Silver Snake first. The consume text is no longer in play when the Hammer Knight is destroyed so it can not trigger.

Great question, I had to think about this one for a bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast