Thread: Living Doll - Definition of "Life Value"

Default Living Doll - Definition of "Life Value"

A bit of a rule dispute on the Ashes Online FB Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/AshesOnline/).

What is meant by "Life Value" on the Living Doll card?

I believe it means, literally, the value of Life as printed on card, ergo it stays 3 at all time, barring attached cards that manipulate that number.

One other poster assumes it means "remaining Life", and that damage on the card reduces that value.

I don't understand why one would believe that since it seems clear due to RAW, but an actual word from the designers would help clear that out.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

If it means remaining life, the amount of damage it takes.could never be more than 1, right?
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

According to the rulebook, when resolving damage you deal the entire amount of damage to that unit, there's nothing saying that you only deal a number up to that unit's life total before it is killed. Playing a card like Undying Heart would increase the target's life value, but taking wound tokens does not decrease life value, it's just a representation of how much damage something has taken. So this has got to be total life.

So for an example:
    A living doll with 3 life value and 2 wound tokens takes 5 damage.

1 damage would be enough to kill it, but there's no limit to how much damage a unit can take and the wound tokens do not lower the life value to 1. Therefore we look to see what's less, 5 dmg or 3 life, so the Living Doll's triggered ability would deal 3 damage to a target.

If this is correct, that makes it pretty interesting as you should never try and overkill a Living doll with wound tokens on it. It's much better to finish off a Living Doll with as little damage as possible. A very handy tidbit to know.

life value is constant, it can be modified by game effect such as alteration spells or the charms dice power ability. wounds do not reduce life value. a unit is destroyed when it has a number of wounds equal to its life value.