Thread: Laser-cut insert for Dead of Winter - asking for feedback

Question Laser-cut insert for Dead of Winter - asking for feedback

Hi!

I am 50% of "The Game Doctors"; we are two friends from Berlin, Germany, who enjoy playing board games. This hobby has spawned another hobby for us: designing laser-cut inserts for complex games.

We are planning to launch a Kickstarter campaign in a few months to gauge the interest for such inserts especially in Germany and Europe. If our campaign succeeds we will buy our own laser and offer our designs commercially.

At the moment we are presenting our prototypes on Facebook. One of them is for Dead of Winter.

It looks like this:
    foto_dow02_small.jpg
    foto_dow05_small.jpg
    foto_dow09_small.jpg
    foto_dow11_small.jpg
    foto_dow13_small.jpg

We want to make our inserts the best they can be, so we would really appreciate some feedback from fans of the game!

You can find my FB article about our Dead of Winter insert here: https://www.facebook.com/gamedoctors...97447730413946
    Our general facebook page is this: https://www.facebook.com/gamedoctors

Thank you!!!

It looks good, I would only suggest you design the card holder so the dividers are movable because when the cards are sleeved they take a lot more space. Having more slots allows owners to move them accordingly.

Looks really nice. I would just give you a heads up that nearly this exact same product is already available (at least easily available in U.S. market, you might do really well for European market...) from 'Broken Token', and their insert is officially licensed by PHG (or it says on the product). Yours may actually be a little bit higher quality, but maybe that will also up your price slightly more than Broken Token's product?...

The card holder will indeed get a re-design (probably tonight) so sleeved cards will fit. But space is at a premium here, meaning that we will need to stick with the fixed compartments.

Thanks Maniacalraven. This particular insert will be a reward in the 16€ range. So I think we can compete. What prices will need to be after the campaign, is still to be seen, though.

This looks incredibly cool. The bridge-like design on the insert containing the dice looks interesting, was there a practical reasoning for this or did you go with it because it looks cool?

Also, what kind of material are the inserts made of?

I'm most definitely interested, especially since I live in the Netherlands (so, hi, neighbour!) and the officially sanctioned insert seemed too expensive to me when shipping is considered.

Hi neighbor, I am glad you like it!

The practical reason for the "bridge" design was the available space. Had we just put a standard box in there, one would have to reach too far down to grab the dice comfortably. So we raised the bottom up which made it possible to put "holes" in the sides. Reduces weight.

The material is MDF (which stands for "medium density fiber"). It's basically wood pulp and glue. You'll find it a lot in IKEA furniture. It offers the great advantage of being uniform, sturdy and cheap. The look might not agree with everyone, though. We plan to put a survey online in the near future to ask for people's preferences.

Being a neighbor as well (the Netherlands again) I would be interested for reasons of reduced shipping costs as well.

Looks like the 'card box' will also comfortably accept cards sleeved with the slightly longer than other brands FFG sleeves.