Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Type of sleeves? (Brand?)

I got a bunch of these for dead of winter and they fit perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

However, in other games (star realms, dice masters) the card is just barely too tall. Also it looks like the price went up as when I ordered them last time they were $12 for 500.

Found them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/x500-ULTRA-P...item2ed1994a40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/x1000-ULTRA-...item2ed53d8e84

If these fit they will be the ones that I get. I love FFG's but they are twice as much compared to these.
    Last edited by ObsoleteThree; 07-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacalraven View Post
    KMC perfect size was very highly rated so I think I will try those. ... I think they are thinner/flimsier tho, more like a penny sleeve that actually fits maybe, but thats fine as I will treat them very tenderly, and don't want a big bulky deck.
    Didn't mention it, because they didn't seem like they would fit your needs, but I use these sleeves, too. As you predicted, they are extremely flimsy. I use them for BattleCON where the box comes with an insert that works great for organizing your fighters, but is sized so exactly that any sleeves other than the KMC perfect fits won't work. They're great for BattleCON because there's no shuffling, decks are very small, and I can still use the default organizer even with sleeved cards. However, the protection they provide is very light, and they don't feel very good in the hand. Thanks to their flimsy material, the sleeve itself actually slides around more than higher quality sleeves, despite the card fit being so exact (that is, the sleeve itself kind of slides and wrinkles a little under your hand as you use them; the card doesn't move in the sleeve, because there's nowhere to move).

That said, if you don't mind the feel of them they should work alright. Ashes shouldn't have that much shuffling in it (particularly since there's only one "tutor" card currently), and if you're careful with them they shouldn't tear too often. They also will provide a light barrier against dust and small amounts of liquid.

I definitely wanted clear to see card backs, and I wanted a really good fit with no overhang.
    Ultra Pro does make a Pro-Matte Clear so that you can see the card backs. I used these for Dead of Winter. I go with the Pro-Matte series because they are slightly textured and do not have the slippery that leads to falling stacks. (Well with less frequency)

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    Ultra Pro does make a Pro-Matte Clear so that you can see the card backs.
    Just one caveat with these: the backs are actually a shiny plastic, not the same matte plastic as the fronts. Not a huge deal, but I was a bit disappointed to find that the entire sleeve wasn't matte when I picked up some the other day.

I took 3 pictures of the sleeves I had on hand: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19898662#19898662

Ultra Pro Soft (Penny Sleeves), ULTRA PRO Soft Card Sleeves *PRO-FIT*, FFG Standard Card Game

I'll probably stick them on Ultra-Pros. I have stacks of them in storage from my LCG days that are new.

Thanks all for the suggestions and insight. Special thanks to Skaak for the well thought out written review (tho everyone said, here is 1 good choice, and you said, these 2 are both good, thanks... now harder to decide ; )
    I definitely wanted clear to see card backs, and I wanted a really good fit with no overhang.
    Went to amazon and sorted by highest rated. KMC perfect size was very highly rated so I think I will try those. Mostly the high rating b/c they are great for double sleeving. But they are relatively inexpensive, should have a perfect fit, and I can double sleeve later if I feel so inclined. I think they are thinner/flimsier tho, more like a penny sleeve that actually fits maybe, but thats fine as I will treat them very tenderly, and don't want a big bulky deck. Guess I will see how it goes.
    Thanks all
    I think you will really like the KMC sleeves. I tried the KMC Hyper Matte sleeves for the first time for this game, and while they are not quite as thick and close-fitting as other sleeves I usually use, they look really great, with a nice clear front, and a clear, textured back that gives the cards a bit of a frosted glass look. It looks really nice with the white-backed cards especially.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12