Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shadows of Viros vs Mist Guardian

Before the Jaguars come out, Seal the spellboard. You're free from Jaguars for one whole round. Next round, do it again. Or reserve a Sniper to kill the Jaguar. Your goal is to deal as much damage as possible to Aradel before she fills up her Spellboard. After that, due to her low hp, keep recurring Snipers to deal damage to her. If this is built decks, you will have extra advantage from Chants of Revenge.
    Winter is Coming...

My friend and I were playing this match up (both decks pre-constructed) several times today (I would consider us intermediate skill level). I was Noah and came to the same conclusion that Joe did in the earlier post. Noah needs to all out rush since Aradel's economics will win the long game. The problem is a good Aradel play can spot this and adjust accordingly.

The rush goes something like this

First five:
    Summon False Demon
    Summon Masked Wolf
    Small Sacrifice
    Summon Sleeping Widows
    Windstorm sniper

Thunder number of 11 if you count using Noah ability (which is a must) so you don't summon masked wolf turn 1 but you have the spell there to summon turn too and so it can be focused later. This gives you an illusion dice left over as you need 5 knifes

My thought was if I could get 8 damage in the first two turns then storm-winds could do the rest (that's only 2 stromwinds a turn for the next two turns and Noah has the health to last). You shadow target summon mist spirit to reduce blockers. storm wind the opening jaguar. then you small sac your stromwind and the butterfly monk to release your widows. Then jump in for at Aradel for 3 (assuming she kills one widow). Turn two summon a masked wolf and jump in again for 5 then its sniper time (you already got one waiting in your discard).

The first time I tried rushing I got a good amount of damage but couldn't close before getting overwhelmed (I also had a different first five the first game which I adjusted to the above thinking it was more optimal). Then disaster struck, my friend realized the late game was his for the taking and heavy exhaust was the perfect delay. With first turn meditate he used 4 wolf heads to give me only 6 dice turn 1. His cheap summons still allowed him a sizable board presence then I was toast.

Any advice for getting around heavy exhaust in this match up?
    App username: Let's play a game!

If Aradel decides to start exhausting Noah's dice, he can start to lose pretty quick. Of all the Phoenixborn, Noah has one of the biggest needs for power and class faces, yet he has no dice manipulation.

Often, I find that Aradel doesn't need to exhaust Noah's units - she can kill them with Nat dice and Water Blast at a better dice for dice (by count) trade.

Don't forget, 3 stormwind snipers and 3 bound soul is 12 damage. If you can sneak in 4 other damage, and survive long enough to use these cards, the victory is yours!

Noah shouldn't be trying to build board presence with Wolves or Widows - they are just there to do surprise/off tempo damage. False Demon should be the core defense. You can sometimes bait a less experienced player with a false demon. They try to kill it with a single mist spirit, and you can guard with Noah then activate shadow counter to kill one of their big threats. Plus the False Demon can tank a Water Blast and still be standing as a blocker/guard!

Blue Jaguar with root armour is pretty hard to deal with. Shadow Counter can kill it, and focused small sac will exhaust it, but apart from that he wont be going anywhere soon. You can always summon units to force the use of Gaze, which will drop Aradel's dice pool, and you will get those exhausted units in the next round.

Noah will always lose the board control game, except in the early game when he can out-tempo Aradel (Masked Wolves, Sleeping Widows). I tend to rush some early damage, then focus on surviving Aradel's war machine long enough to Stormwind Snipe to victory, but this is quite dependent on getting a good draw and rolling well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets play a game! View Post
    Then disaster struck, my friend realized the late game was his for the taking and heavy exhaust was the perfect delay. With first turn meditate he used 4 wolf heads to give me only 6 dice turn 1.
    I'm not sure I understand this. Meditate is a side action as is using a dice power ability. If she goes first and meditates four dice she can't then hit you with the dice power. And when she does it is only one die at a time. Turn 1 - meditate, turn 2 - die power to discard one die, etc etc and after five turns you would be down to six dice. Hopefully you would see that coming and get out the high cost cards making it a non-issue.

I t does take 5 turn yes, but it also take me several turns to play my cards.

He meditates 4 dice
    Me storm wind come out (my only aly)
    He exhausts 1
    Me play summon false demon
    He exhausts 1
    Me summon a false demon
    He exhausts 1
    ... etc.

I can't spend my dice quick enough.

Those extra damage (on top of the stormwind 12) on Aradel that I can't do, especially when shes exhausting.

Okay. Just making sure I was reading it right.

Plus, Noah has a number of powerful reaction cards (Sleeping Widows, Shadow Counter etc) that he uses to knock his opponent 'off balance' and ramp the tempo of the game up. This means he need to keep a couple of important dice open, waiting for the chance to strike.

Dice exhaustion takes this strategy away from him, and forces him to play his units fast and early. Since Wolves and Widows die easily, Noah rushing into playing units just results in his units dying in bad trades of dice.

On way I have found to deal with this, is use Noah's PB power to exhaust Shifting Mists and cut off Aradel's ready access to extra power faces.

doesnt stop the meditate though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12