Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Endrich deckbuilds

Default Endrich deckbuilds

Any good deckbuilds or insights into deckbuilding out there? Can this alliance be competitive or even viable through deckbuilding? Before deckbuilding, it's always useful to try to understand each piece of the base deck. So here are my thoughts on each piece:

Summoner, Conjurations, and Champions
    - Endrich. I found Endrich's ability to be good, but to be very difficult to utilize early game. It's difficult to utilize him as a direct attacker; this element, when combined with the overall expensiveness of the deck, and in ability to protect him after he has attacked (sans Grubs) is frustrating. His fragility, in addition to the expensiveness of his deck, makes it difficult to cope with early rushes.
    - Gorgon. Gorgon is a great defensive unit and helps with the rushes that Endrich struggles with; it's a great cost for the stats and, especially during rushes, its ability to be summoned next to Enrich is incredibly helpful. It's the only cheap unit that Endrich has access to in his base deck that isn't below-average (i.e. un-boosted units).
    - Kendre. A great value. His SSCF is 0, but his event is what really takes the cake. It allows you to not only rescue boosts from units for whom death is imminent, but also to negate the opponent's magic gathering and to build magic (i.e. boost a Geopath and then Redistribute to a Deep Dragon or Gem Priestess).
    - Keodel. 0 SSCF but expensive ability. Unlike Kendre or Owl Gryphon, Keodel has value at any point in the game. (Kendre is not as good early because it's difficult to get out a boosted unit. An early draw of Owl Gryphon is tough; on the one hand, if you plan to efficiently build magic through the opponent's units, you need boosted units, costing additional magic sans events, which will take away from the pot with which to summon Gryphon. On the other hand, if you build magic through discarding from your hand, you're likely discarding many units which later might be able to be boosted as the result of Gryphon's ability). Keodel adds value to non-boosted units (granted at a cost, but the mistake is to think that she's definitively more valuable to boosted units) which are below-average otherwise. Can probably pull of some cool tricks with Keodel, but not really with this base deck, and I'm not familiar enough with the Deep Dwarves or Benders to think of anything.
    - Owl Gryphon. My first reaction was to fawn over the ability, dreaming of crushing enemies in the end game. In reality, I find Owl Gryphon difficult. At -1 SSCF, it's overpriced on pure stats, so you have to use its ability at least once for it to not be overpriced. Even so, how many times do you think your opponent will let you use Conserve? And due to its cost, and the magic building predicament that you're in once you draw it, I struggle to think of an ideal point in the game to draw or try to build magic for Owl Gryphon. I just think that Etch, Gren, Piclo (although you run into the same cost expensiveness predicament as with Gryphon) or a combination of Khan Queso and a few Rune Mage are better options.

Commons
    - Deep Dragon. This is my favorite of the units. Unboosted it has the stats of a JE Lioness or SM Swordsman. Deep Dragons boosted through unlock or through moving boosts from Geopath to Deep Dragon through Kendre should be the bread and butter of Endrich's deck.
    - Gem Priestess. Meh. Incredible economic potential in theory (if you consider one health to be equivalent to one magic, then you gain 1 magic when healing 2 units. But I found it difficult to utilize, and I would prefer to have boosted Deep Dragon or Geo Path on the board.
    - Geopath. What can I say that hasn't already been said? Crappy un-boosted unit; good wall destroyer and rush deterrent when boosted and coupled with Endrich's Geopathic Command. As I've mentioned before, good synergy with Kendre combined with Deep Dragon and Gem Priestess.

Events
    - Conjure Gorgon. The best way to think about Gorgon's cost is 2 cards (the magic and the event) (indeed, this is probably just a good way to think about cost for any unit). Great deal for the stats and ability. The only unit equal to Gorgon's cost in the base deck is the un-boosted Geopath, which also costs 2 cards (boosted, 3, at a minimum). Its true value seems is as a defensive unit.
    - Unlock. It's best when used on Gem Priestess and Deep Dragon, for a net gain of 3 magic; used on 2 Geopath, it's a net gain of 1 magic. Based on economic potential alone, it should never be built.
    - Reclaim. In theory, this is an incredible event in terms of economic potential. If you deconstruct it and Kendre, it basically does what Kendre does without requiring a movement or having the three space requirement. Obviously they're slightly different; Kendre's represents an advantage in that it allows you to actually gain 1 magic (moving a boost from a Geopath to a Gem Priestess or Deep Dragon). To my mind, its economic potential is fully utilized when its played with several boosted units near death; obviously you "reclaim" the magic used to boost those units (and thus, you only suffer a magic loss equal to the amount of units lost through removing the boosts, rather than a magic loss equal to the amount of units lost + the amount of magic invested in the boost + the magic given to the opponent) and prevent your opponent from harvesting the magic. In reality, however, in the one game that I played, the event turned out to be unwieldy, and I didn't draw it when I could have used it or planned to use it.
    - Teleport. At best, prevents you from losing the game, allowing you to teleport the fragile Endrich out of trouble. For this purpose I figure that it is worth 3 magic best, if you calculate each health on your summoner as worth one magic (although it's probably worth more). The reason that I don't say 4, even though Endrich has 4 health, is that obviously magic is useless if your summoner has been defeated. But it's important to remember that even though this event can be worth up to 3 magic, that does not mean that its average value is 3. I suppose that this event can also be used to set up an elaborate trap with Endrich as the bait, but I don't have the creativity at this point to think of a viable trap. (Maybe throw rogues in? But beyond the obvious use for the trap to help stymie rushes, they don't synergize well with this faction beyond those purposes--they aren't cheap enough that you can build without cutting into your budget for boosted units, and they don't have enough health to provide some cheap longevity). This might be the easiest event to build as magic.

Additional Comments
    - Faction weaknesses. Weak early game (one faction for whom that the first turn seems to matter more); as a result of weak early game, coping with rushes; boosts are a complicated game mechanic; this is an expensive faction; due to the unpredictability of card draws and events that are largely situational, it is difficult to tap into the true economic potential of this faction.
    Last edited by commandercool; 06-08-2015 at 06:31 PM.

I also think that Owl Familiar or Magos are units that would help this faction tap into its economic potential. Owl Familiar could be swapped with Gem Priestess. Not sure about Magos; because he's expensive, he has the same problem as Owl Gryphon.

Boosted Deep Dragon coupled with Gwalark would be good too (although a 6 magic champ will be expensive if you want to fully utilize boosted units).

Kogar, of course, would be good to stymie early rushes and guard Endrich. Stone Cloaks too.
    Last edited by commandercool; 06-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.

I dont find endritch strugges wtih rushes, because of gorgon, the weakness of endritch is that in the long run he doesnt have the tools to make crazy powerfull things, unlike other factions, other than unlock, every other tool he has, is mediocre.
    Owl gryphon is good in teh right matchups, but there is no reason to use him over etch. So, its unusable, unless you play non merc rules. Then in some matchups it can give him the edge (like vs ellien or oldin)

Grogon is an ok event and unlock is great, the other events are almost joke events.
    With deckbuilding all the main 3 champs should go to your binder. Lun is a must as he is probably the best champ in the game other than etch. Etch is a must because he is etch, unless ban him as some people do.
    Without mercs, i think Lun, Kynder and Sorgwen are the too obvius lineup, these champs just overshadow any other option you have. With that said Keodel+Sorgwen seems a nice combination, something that would be worth considering except that i means not having kynder in your deck. Who doesnt want to have kynder. Maybe if keodel would be better it would be worth to play without kynder.
    In terms of commons, dragons are a must, Geopath, controllers and gem priest, should all be present in some numbers i think.

My dB is the following (played and it works well). Have in mind I play with no mercs and no extra commons (limited to the commons that come in the box). I would otherwise for sure play etch. And maybe even if no etch i would consider Rygos instead of sorgwen. On the commons i would maybe consider rune mages and stone golems, though not sure i would use them. But i didnt think much about this because i play without them.

Considering all that here i present my Best list

Lun, Kynder, Sorgwen
    5x Dragons
    4x Geopaths
    2x Gem priest
    3x Controllers.

Maybe I should just pack more controllers, but you need to be able to have 2 boost units at will to be able to take advantage of the powerful unlock, and if so you maybe want more gem priest. Gem priest are great to protect controllers.
    Geopath may seem inferior to controller, but their combination with eldritch and being viable unlock targets, make it so you want more of them
    Maybe have one or two schoolars for that surprising champ ambush, is ok. Imagine geopath+sorgwen+endritch+ schoolar on champ 9 Dice for you (yeah i know think of koedel, now its 12 dice!, but i prefer to have kynder to help me setup the crazy play that try to get greedy)
    Last edited by Waterd; 06-07-2015 at 12:02 PM.

In the current Vassal Event (which does ban Etch outside of Rallul/Glurblub), killercactus has fielded Lun, Sorgwen, and Owl. I'm sure you could talk him into Kynder over Owl at least some of the time. He has gone heavier on controllers than you suggest, too. He also tossed in a couple Mind Witches, although that's probably just because kc has an irrational love for Mind Witches.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by dok View Post
    In the current Vassal Event (which does ban Etch outside of Rallul/Glurblub), killercactus has fielded Lun, Sorgwen, and Owl. I'm sure you could talk him into Kynder over Owl at least some of the time. He has gone heavier on controllers than you suggest, too. He also tossed in a couple Mind Witches, although that's probably just because kc has an irrational love for Mind Witches.
    I ran Kynder against Bolvi to run Gorgon cheese, and one of the matches I don't think I ran Witches. Otherwise I run pretty close to Waterd, though I think Gwalark + Dragons is cool, and I've considered Deep Troll with these wall rules, but haven't pulled the trigger.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I think that against some summoners, like tundle, Gwalark + dragons is definitely interesting. I would say against dema it may be too, the problem is that boosting a dragon to get heretic rebuked seems awfull, but i dont know.
    In any case I think gwalark+dragons can be a good backup option, in matchups where you need to be the aggressor.

Just played this deck:
    - Kendre
    - The Seer
    - Etch
    - 6 Deep Dragon
    - 6 Geopath
    - 3 Gem Priestess
    - 3 Rune Mage

Crushed it against the Swamp Mercs but that shouldn't be a surprise with Etch, The Seer, and Rune Mage units. Ended up with an incredible amount of surplus magic. At the end I had about 8-10 units on the board. Granted, I could have finished my opponent off before that, and continued to build units, but I wanted to continue to see how the deck worked. Obviously I wouldn't have that much surplus against a different faction. Still, there got to be a point where the surplus was ridiculous, and I wished I had more ways to spend magic. Going to fiddle around and see if Keodel, Deep Dwarf, Duggle, or Rygos work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I think that against some summoners, like tundle, Gwalark + dragons is definitely interesting. I would say against dema it may be too, the problem is that boosting a dragon to get heretic rebuked seems awfull, but i dont know.
    In any case I think gwalark+dragons can be a good backup option, in matchups where you need to be the aggressor.
    Have you tried Deep Dragon and Gwalark? If not, I'd love to hear from someone that has. What else would you run with that to complete the aggression? Lun and Sorgwyn? Geopath and ...?

No, i didnt think about that until KC posted about it, i have a more defensive oriented thinking and didnt even even tried offensive builds yet. I think Lun and kynder. Lun and kynder are good at both offense and defense.

Gem Priestess is a truly unusual unit, in an Alliance that features so many awesome 1-life units, where one of the two original factions has only a single multi-life common that's a solid candidate for the worst unit in the game, and whose ability is self-healing anyway.

GP's emphasis on formation seems to mean that its single best synergy is with Scholars. Maybe there's a very non-Bender-like, non-Tundle-like, pseudo-Vanguard build based upon GPs and Scholars (maybe Miners?) that advances with a formation to guard Endrich, and then tries to set up a Teleport / Sorgwen / Geopathic Command combo. Strikes me as pretty low-probability, but worth trying.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast