Thread: 3D Printing

Default 3D Printing

my small town library has reciently aquired a 3D printer and is allowing people to use it (on a limited basis). they have set up a set of simple rules (for those of us who are not computer literate), and instructions on how to transport 3D models (including something about saving a Sliced design in .g format to a SD card). then ask the staff for assistance on printing (for a small fee-$3, $5 or $10). cool and all.

my question is, has anybody created any 3D models of the M&M tokens that they would be willing to share with the rest of us?
    Thank You...
    ...the rich

My models are not compatible with cheap 3D printers (i.e. the "home" or "library" ones).
    But I've seen some on thingiverse that are. You should check there.

thingiverse? ok. i will check it out. thank you
    as for the printer at the library, all i know is that it's a DittoPro 3D, if that's good or bad i do not know.
    but i figure it's an intersting start for me.
    ...the rich

Didn't know the DittoPro but after a quick googling it's a regular FDM-tech printer, so I confirm my models won't work with it.
    However its specs look good so the thingiverse models should print out OK.
    By the way I've found back the corresponding page :
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:345266

Quote Originally Posted by Roolz View Post
    Didn't know the DittoPro but after a quick googling it's a regular FDM-tech printer, so I confirm my models won't work with it.
    However its specs look good so the thingiverse models should print out OK.
    By the way I've found back the corresponding page :
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:345266
    Thank You. most kind of you. found the page yesterday, was actually looking at some things there. found a simple card tray for use with Firefly that i'm thinking of trying as well. 3D printing, the next universe?
    Thank You for all your help.
    ...the rich

It all starts with making a virtual design of the object you want to create. This virtual design is for instance a CAD (Computer Aided Design) file. This CAD file is created using a 3D modeling application or with a 3D scanner (to copy an existing object). A 3D scanner can make a 3D digital copy of an object.3D scanners use different technologies to generate a 3D model. Examples are: time-of-flight, structured / modulated light, volumetric scanning and many more.
    Recently, companies like Microsoft and Google enabled their hardware to perform 3D scanning, for example Microsoft’s Kinect. In the near future digitising real objects into 3D models will become as easy as taking a picture. Future versions of smartphones will probably have integrated 3D scanners.Here at 3DPrint.com we are always seeking to educate the general public about the incredible technology known as 3D printing. Therefore we have set out to create a brief, yet informative guide on 3D printing, how it works, and the various technologies involved. We hope it teaches you a little bit about the technology and perhaps acts as a springboard for your creativity to run wild. We will update this guide as times change, and new technologies and information become available.

These days HP printer support is managed by remote support and I would say first we need to give it a try in house by looking at the HP Printer User guide, maximum problem arises only we are not able to download the proper patches or virus in our system. Otherwise it should work.

3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing (AM), refers to processes used to synthesize a three-dimensional object in which successive layers of material

For those without access to a printer, do a search for "Mice Mystics" on Etsy for some M&M goodness