Thread: 5 Player/Traitor questions

Default 5 Player/Traitor questions

First of all this is a very interesting and stressful game. The traitor part makes it a totally different game.

We played with 5 players and had the following questions that were not clear to everyone in the group from the instruction manual.

1) We assumed that we should be playing with 3 equipment cards. I believe this is correct and have seen it posted on a forum. But didn't see it in the 5 player section.

2) The Beast enhance sense. Does this mean 4 movement spaces? Basically the agent could get to the beast in 4 moves? Or does this mean 4 squares in any direction? If so would it be 7, 8 or 9 space square?

3) The cobra seems to be a hard counter to the beast. I read an article on Plaid Hat, so I believe that the cobra does stun the beast and doesn't allow him to attack. Since this is seems to be the only hard counter out of any of the agent/hunter combos. Our group was thinking of having the beast get one attack off. This would allow the cobra to stop the beast second ability, but not both attacks. The beast in our group wasn't the first choice and when we bring the cobra to the table he was the last choice by far.

4) Finding out who the traitor is in the game is very hard? Well it was for our group. The instructions make it sound like the way you find out who the traitor is by the following: traitor/hunter goes in the sight of the agent. Agent says clear and then another hunter finds the agent. This is very hard to make happen. The agent can say he is seen. The traitor can say he will go later in the round after the other move. This is a sound strategy if he is the beast for example and says he wants to have a chance to use brutal strength.

What other ways can the traitor be identified? I would assume you have to have the agent be completely honest and say the move shows the traitor. Because how would the hunters ever know for sure? Even this all works out it could be a decoy.

5) Decoy - Does it work like this? Bluejay uses the decoy by putting a last seen token on the board within 4 spaces of her current location. This could be at any point during her turn. Marks were the decoy is placed. Which also has to be within 4 spaces of when ever she put the decoy out. So if she puts it out at the beginning or end of her movement.
    A) I assume the last seen token has to follow the same rules as if it was an agent. You can't put the last seen on the far side of the road and the decoy on the near side.
    B) When the decoy is found do the agents realize it or do they attack it thinking it is still the agent. If they do not realize it is a decoy. Does the agent put the last seen token in the same spot as the decoy after that turn?

6) When the traitor becomes a second agent. Do the hunters know which agent they see? Or can the main agent put down all last seen tokens?

Thanks for your help...

Ok I'll give these my best shot:

1. Correct, 3 cards.
    2. Counting "within" spaces... you can count "through" structures. So yes from top to bottom it could be up to a 9 space range (with Beast in the middle) if you are not near an edge of the map.
    3. Yes Cobra is a hard counter to the Beast. But even with just Enhanced Senses and Quaddripedal Movement he still rocks. Cobra's always going to be great in close quarters no matter who you've got... but he doesn't have many tricks for hiding.
    4. Best case scenario, besides catching the agent in the act of lying, is you'll have a degree of certainty about who the traitor is based on how unhelpful they've been. Yes, it's not easy, but the game is already really tough for the agent with so many hunters flying around. They need the help with 4 hunters.
    5. The last seen token and the figure go on the same space. This is a diversionary tactic. Make them think they spotted you, when they didn't. They don't know it's a decoy. After your next turn, you would just leave the decoy where it is, unles you were spotted again. So yeah it just seems like a last-seen kind of thing.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    Ok I'll give these my best shot:

1. Correct, 3 cards.
    2. Counting "within" spaces... you can count "through" structures. So yes from top to bottom it could be up to a 9 space range (with Beast in the middle) if you are not near an edge of the map.
    3. Yes Cobra is a hard counter to the Beast. But even with just Enhanced Senses and Quaddripedal Movement he still rocks. Cobra's always going to be great in close quarters no matter who you've got... but he doesn't have many tricks for hiding.
    4. Best case scenario, besides catching the agent in the act of lying, is you'll have a degree of certainty about who the traitor is based on how unhelpful they've been. Yes, it's not easy, but the game is already really tough for the agent with so many hunters flying around. They need the help with 4 hunters.
    5. The last seen token and the figure go on the same space. This is a diversionary tactic. Make them think they spotted you, when they didn't. They don't know it's a decoy. After your next turn, you would just leave the decoy where it is, unles you were spotted again. So yeah it just seems like a last-seen kind of thing.
    Clarification
    1) thanks
    2) Beast sense ability is 9 total spaces with him in the middle assuming there are that many spaces around him. An example, he is at E5 then if the agent is at A1 to H1 to H9 and A9 then the agent would say he is close.
    3) thanks. It just seems odd that an agent has a hard counter to only 1 ability out off all the hunters.
    4) I agree the agents job is a tough assignment.
    5) So you have to put the last seen and decoy out at the same time. So you are saying that the agent has to say they moved and are in plain view of a hunter. Put the last seen marker out and also the bluejay. We never had a time when the agent ended his turn in open site like this. Plus it is obviously a bluejay since they have to put their character on the last seen marker. But the agents would have to attack because it could be the agent. The agent could act like he was taking damage if it was a decoy. Also he could put his real agent there and act like he didn't take damage and mark it on his next turn.

Just read this in FAQ
    Q. When running through the LOS of a hunter and using Blue Jay’s Holo-decoy, do I place two last seen tokens?
    A. No. Only one token is placed. Using the Holo-Decoy gets the hunters’attention allowing you to move past them as they are focusing on your decoy.

So this makes it sound like I could place the last seen on the board and mark the decoy on my sheet until seen.

6) Any idea on how you are suppose to play as the second agent? Is the last seen hidden and equipment used hidden? Thematically I would think that is the case. This would make the second agent much stronger.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Zorph; 05-11-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Maybe to expand/clarify on these a bit.

4. Any time it is apparent who the traitor is, they switch to an agent, this can happen in many ways. An example from where I got outed as the traitor quickly:
    Agent hacks an objective. I (traitor) use motion sensor, agent declares no movement detected. Another hunter moves and spots the agent. The agent is 4 spaces away from where they hacked the objective, they obviously lied about no motion detected, showing I must be the traitor. Busted.
    Yea I like the idea of the traitor moving last, as it reduces the chance of getting caught, but maybe they start to suspect because he always goes last.

5. The Decoy IS the last seen marker. There is no difference in placing last seen normally and placing it for the Decoy, except the deception... (Every time you place a last seen you are supposed to also place the figure ON it.) So when you place last seen + figure in the hunters line of sight, you are not saying you ended your turn there, you are saying that's the last spot you saw me.

6. Mostly just make sure to stay alive and escape. Maybe bring some flash/smoke grenades to aid the other agent. Could try to split up the hunters, getting some to chase you, and the others to chase the primary agent. Yes the equipment you bring stays hidden till used. The two agents can look at each others movement sheets and confer on how to proceed.