Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expansions and Dice

I have a feeling that's a strong likelihood. Since they are specialized components and not just extra like the summoner wars dice, I bet we can expect to see dice packs in the store. As evidence I point you to the Mice and Mystics miniatures pack that they sell with all the base game minis separate from the game. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Ashes. They even have MM dice sets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
    I have a feeling that's a strong likelihood. Since they are specialized components and not just extra like the summoner wars dice, I bet we can expect to see dice packs in the store. As evidence I point you to the Mice and Mystics miniatures pack that they sell with all the base game minis separate from the game. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Ashes. They even have MM dice sets as well.
    true but it might depend on how well this game does and how fast. in my opinion extra dice couldn't come out fast enough. I have full faith this game will be fantastic though, question is how long will it take to catch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxas View Post
    true but it might depend on how well this game does and how fast. in my opinion extra dice couldn't come out fast enough. I have full faith this game will be fantastic though, question is how long will it take to catch on?
    This is basically the sentiment the board game community feels as a whole. Everyone is agreeing that the game looks good, great even... but everyone is also wondering, is it worth it? Because while Ashes is a fairly original game with new ideas, and very interesting mechanics, it is basically attempting to fill the niche with arguably the most competition in the board game industry - a game that is like Magic, but isn't Magic, and does not have the BS sales methods and horrible balance. I'm certainly getting Ashes, because that niche isn't filled for me, and PHG has earned my faith. But some others... won't be as easy to soften them up. Talking about people like die hard Mage Wars fans. Yes, MW and Ashes will be competitive. They are very different games, as different as SW and MW, but unlike SW, MW and Ashes are trying to fill the same niche.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

That was my initial reaction for sure. I think you're spot on about it competing with Mage Wars. At least for me, I think this game will beat out Mage Wars, not because it's better per say, but because I can teach it and game length looks to be much shorter. I frequently describe Mage Wars as my favorite game I never get to play - the learning curve is just too high and game length (esp. for new players) is too long.

For me, I think this game will also be in heavy competition with Warhammer 40K Conquest. This is where I'm curious to see how Ashes stands, especially long term. Conquest has a shockingly deep strategic play, while still having a pretty easy to understand basic mechanics. However, the card pool in Conquest is (in my humble opinion) growing way too fast and I'm afraid FFG is going to burn the game out. I'm just curious to see if Ashes will have enough depth strategically to keep me coming back to it over and over again. I'm hoping where this game will beat Conquest is by keeping the timing a bit simpler. Conquest has some really wonky timing stuff that can be annoying to follow - especially on the competitive scene.

Honestly I think you should consider getting a second copy of the game. The base game works great if you use the prebuilts or draft. If you draft I'm sure someone might want 1 or 2 different dice but due to the composition of the base cards the required die distribution should be close to what you would want after a draft.

If you are that concerned about dice, you should be concerned about multiple copies of some of the more powerful cards. If you want to prevent the case where multiple people want one card in their deck, having 6 copies of each card will help prevent that.

I'm guessing a dice pack will be $10-15, the extra tokens would be around $5-7. So you're just paying $15-$20 for extra copies of cards. Which I'm sure you could sell for $20 if you didn't want the extra copies of them (and that's not counting selling Dimona if you buy from the store).

So while there's no options to buy dice yet, you got some good economical options.

well if im playing the draft, you don't use second copies of the cards, and I don't need extra dice either playing the draft because you are limited to 10 of each in the pool.

im not really sure who would buy the cards without the dice and other components. with the exception of the promo, I can understand why people would want that.

on a side note, the power side of the die, is there just one of those? or is it 2-basic, 2-class, 2-power?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd buy just the cards if they were cheap enough. I've already preordered a copy of the game--but with the extra cards I could have one set to use for drafting and/or using the precon decks, and one set that I could tinker with and use for customized decks. As for the other bits (dice, tokens, etc.), I don't foresee needing more than what comes in one of the base sets.

As for the different sides to the die, it's 2 basic, 3 class, 1 power according to this thread: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_for...4-Odds-on-dice
    But perhaps you're already familiar with that one

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarLoki View Post
    As for the different sides to the die, it's 2 basic, 3 class, 1 power according to this thread: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_for...4-Odds-on-dice
    But perhaps you're already familiar with that one
    you know, i remember getting a lot of "i think this is it" but for some strange reason i never read that last message saying for sure that was what it was. not sure why i never read that lol. oh well.

They did include draft rules after all. Also since dice are useful for more than just their given symbols it may be advantageous to take various dice anyway instead of hoarding one color.

ok this was a great point made by obsoletethree on the extra box purchase vs price per component. i will likely be buying this box again for the dice and extra cards. i dig being able to get a promo card free but i'd appreciate being able to get any promos (even if there was a cost associated) at the same time. this is a big deal to me if i push a game to others. there should be no chase component to this game. its why fantasy flight games' lcg model is beautiful. Ashes is a beautiful game and this process should be worked out soon. looking for some news here on the expansions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast