Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Warden?

Default How to Warden?

Hello all, I'm just looking for your own personal deck builds and play styles for the Warden, as I'm curious as to how you all think of him. I find him to be stupidly strong through out the majority of the game, however, being heavily reliant on mutants can go very badly if you don't have Living Shield always on you, so this is how I have been playing the deck as of late:

Commons:
    7 x Prisoners / 1 x Taskmaster / 2 x Fighters

Champions:
    Soul Eater, Hester, and Mook

Mutations:

Spellsucker Mutant, Winged Mutant, Horror Mutant, Grotesque Mutant, Bone Mutant, Tentacle Mutant, Claw Mutant, Spew Mutant

I have my Champions set up so that literally any of them will be amazing to have at the beginning of the game, so I can almost always guarantee building all my Mutants as magic to summon them to start generating a huge Prison pile for Soul Eater and Hester, as well as having Mook to support the Soul Eater and Hester for huge dice rolls, as well as helping some Prisoners deal some damage if I'm truely desperate.
    All I see for Warden right now is to spam Champions to start building up a massive prison pile in which buffs champions even more in which wins the game. I tried playing him swarmy, lost every game, but it seems just throwing out 3 champions wins me a lot of my games. Anyone have their own style or builds?
    Oh no.

No Poison/Legion mutant? Seems like a waste. :P

Anyway, I definitely agree that champions and few mutations are way to go. Swarmy deck isn't really working with Prisoners as they are such a huge risk and if you want to swap them with some CG 0-costers then you are losing quite a bit of events as you need Prisoners to build up Prison pile if you aren't able to kill anything. My most successful deck with him is deck from TURTLEGEDDON tourney:

Warden
    -Starting commons and events
    -7 Prisoners
    -2 Taskmasters
    -Winged, Bone, Legion, Horror and Claw Mutant
    -Scabbicus, Soul Eater, Hester

Legion won me few games, he is amazing if you manage to get 3-4 cards in the prison pile early and still don't draw any champions. You have to be careful with him since he will give 5-6 magic to the opponent if killed which is really big, so I wouldn't suggest summoning him against Summoners that have some events that can easily kill him. The best thing with him is that he will probably manage to kill 2-3 commons by himself and then just self-kill him by summoning new mutation, which will give you like 5-6 magic back for a few mutations or champ.
    I am building all of my mutations(except for Legion) most of the time and summon those needed at the moment through Enlist. There are games where I have to summon a Mutation even without Enlist, and you should treat Mutations here like mini-champs as they are not as expandable like in Dema decks and need to be careful with them. You generally want to keep the flow of your hand going, so constantly use Prisoners the moment you get them and combo your events as best as possible(Warden's events have some sick combos). When you are killing enemy commons, even if you need magic you should at least put one common in Prison pile. You don't know if you will need it next turn and you can always use Tyrant to put it back into magic if common isn't useful in prison. Warden is really tough(maybe even too tough) and you don't want to sit behind a wall with him the whole game. Because of Enlist/Overwork combo you want to push a bit with him, at least to the middle of the battlefield.

I really wanted to try out Warden's heavy Mutation deck but it sounds difficult to use since he isn't Dema and can't get the most needed Mutation in the attack phase, nor he can build them as Dema can. Warden Clinger deck with Burrow, Winged and Beast Mutant sounds really fun but then again it needs right set at the right time and it feels a bit one-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by RMZ1989 View Post
    No Poison/Legion mutant? Seems like a waste. :P
    I don't really use Legion for the very fact of the unreliability he can create, as he has one niche and that is closing games. As for Poison, well, Poison is awesome against champions, but, I prefer Claw Mutant for that job.
    Oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    I don't really use Legion for the very fact of the unreliability he can create, as he has one niche and that is closing games. As for Poison, well, Poison is awesome against champions, but, I prefer Claw Mutant for that job.
    Yes indeed, but you won't always summon Legion and when you can while opponent doesn't really have the answer, he is simply awesome. I forgot to mention that he is basically has 5 AV 6 Life, champion like stats, but can be whipped by Taskmaster.

Also, as I said before, you don't have unlimited mana nor you have a choice of mutants you will get through mutagist so there will be a lot of games where you will need Claw right now and he is at the bottom of your draw/magic pile or when you have him but don't have enough magic for him. Poison is like cheaper Claw, he doesn't really kill enemies but he makes them almost useless.

Here is late iteration of my Warden deck.
    Champion: Hester, The Soul Eater
    Mutations: Incanter, Bone, Grotesque, Burrow, Spew, Horror, Tentacle, Winged
    Commons: 4 Oaf, 2 Taskmaster, 5 Prisoner

The idea of this deck is to build early with your Mutations and spend early the Magic early by summoning Oaf or Taskmaster in order to prep up the discard pile for the use of Subjugation and later Enlist.

I choose to have two ranged Mutations because it support the tactic of playing Overwork on a Common or Mutation and then once it has attacked and goes into the Prison pile, it leaves a clear path for these two Mutations to shoot.

Horror and Grotesque are to taunt the opponents to move adjacent to these mutations and risk having their Commons discarded.

Burrow is for surprise play especially if the opponents have their Champions or Summoner next to a Common. Winged is often used for the purpose of assassination especially when Overwork is played on it or using Taskmaster to whip it so it can fly further to the back row and hit a turtling Summoner (namely Immortal Elien and Endrich).

Tentacle Mutant is to hit against a Summoner who hides behind a Wall or another Unit.

Having more Mutations can allow me to play the Mutations switching shenanigans. And by looking at the Summoning costs of my choice of Mutations, there all have Summoning costs of 3 or below (with the exception of Bone Mutant) to allow me to easily play them out especially when I also need to Magic to put down the Oaf.

I like the use of Oaf and Prisoner with Incanter giving each common additional 2 AV. And if an Oaf supported by Incanter with 2 damage, he will be have 5 AV!! In addition, my opponents have a hard time deciding whether to hit the Oaf as they don't want to trigger his Enrage ability.

Moreover, the Taskmaster behind an Oaf can whip an Oaf with 1 Damage and let him advance to attack an opposing unit for 3 AV. As such, I find Oaf commons have great synergy with the Warden deck.

NOT USING LEGION
    I don't have Legion in my deck as I am often not that one big turn kind of player and prefer something that is more reliable. Also, I believe Legion is very vulnerable to certain match-up as he is susceptible to the effects of Selundar's Into Darkness and Tacullu's Counter Summon.

MATCH-UP EXPERIENCE
    AGAINST IMMORTAL ELIEN
    I find the Warden have difficulty dealing with Immortal Elien's FP Cultists, as they can deliver 3 wounds if IE players choose to increase the dice value to 6 which can effectively kill a Mutation. Therefore, it is often a gain to IE just to spend 1 to 2 cards to increase the dice roll to 6 as IE will get in return 2 cards into the Magic pile and in additional destroy an opposing Unit.

Also, there is a danger of positioning Mutations next to a Cultist as Immortal can played Forced Conversion using the Warden's Common to attack the Warden. (Fortunately, the Warden has 9 Life and can sustain much damage initially before succumbing to defeat).

AGAINST MELUNDAK
    My friends and I still have problem in trying to gauge how to play Melundak effectively. It seems in a match-up against the Warden, Melundak should not move himself too much forward as the Warden can easily engage in some Mutation shenanigans or play Overwork to allow the latter with opportunity for more attack - one during the Event phase and another during Attack phase. With potential of high damage output which can be delivered by Mutations and Oaf, Melundak can be easily killed due to his low Life Points.

AGAINST ENDRICH
    I feel in this game is more in favour of Endrich and Warden has to advance forward quick to deal with boosted Geopath which can shoot from far away. However, by doing this may leave the Warden vulnerable as it creates a accessible path for a boosted Deep Dragon to assault the Warden which can attack twice due to Endrich's Geopathic Common.

The most danger comes from Gorgon because if I can kill it, I will be losing 2 cards to Endrich - the Mutation and the Common underneath. This is one reasons I put in some ranged attackers so I don't need to be adjacent to it. In addition, Gorgon is immune to Horror's and Grotesque Mutants' ability due to the virtue of it being a Conjuration and not a Common.

AGAINST MAREK
    I believe Marek is challenging to play against with using any other Summoners. I think the right strategy is to aggressively move forward to attack Marek whenever possible.

Nevertheless, I have to often remind myself of the threat of Violet especially if I have an Incanter behind a Common as I stand the risk of losing 3 or more cards.
    Last edited by brightknight_216; 04-07-2015 at 02:21 PM.

brightknight, you cant Incanter an oaf, since it is not a Filth common unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Layana View Post
    brightknight, you cant Incanter an oaf, since it is not a Filth common unit.
    You are right. Have been playing it wrong then. Was so excited with the prospects of being prospects of Oaf and Incanter combo than I did not realise Incanter's ability cannot work on Oaf. Well, have to look at my deck build again.

Quote Originally Posted by brightknight_216 View Post
    You are right. Have been playing it wrong then. Was so excited with the prospects of being prospects of Oaf and Incanter combo than I did not realise Incanter's ability cannot work on Oaf. Well, have to look at my deck build again.
    It's okay, I had Mook buffing Mutations for a little while only to realize my error after two games... :,c Could've been SOSOSOSOSO strong, especially with Incanter.
    Oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    It's okay, I had Mook buffing Mutations for a little while only to realize my error after two games... :,c Could've been SOSOSOSOSO strong, especially with Incanter.
    Mook is still strong with Incanter, but you will buff Prisoners and Taskmaster instead.

Mook buffing Mutations would be ridiculous, especially on some like Burrow, Poison and Claw.

Incanter is better in Dema's deck if you go Anointed since you can Shield of the Hopeful to save them.
    Winter is Coming...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast