Thread: Counter-picking Agents to Hunters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Counter-picking Agents to Hunters

I never really considered this option until today's News Article, but how often will you decide to choose an Agent based on the choices of the Hunters? Cobra is obviously anti-Beast, Blue Jay is anti-Prophet, Spider is anti-Puppet, and Orangutan is anti-Gun.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

We should definitely get a google doc going when the game hits to track this kind of stuff.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

I agree with most of your pairings, but isn't Spider harder to hit, making her anti-Prophet or anti-Gun?

Either way, I think Hunter choice will play a big role in my Agent choice, but it would play an even larger part in traitor choice in a 5 player game.

Cobra is definitely anti-beast as discussed in Brian's article. (And we checked with Emerson to make sure we got that rule right, too.)

Blue Jay definitely anti-Prophet since it weakens that pre-cognition. The Prophet is also weaker in a 4-5 player game for this reason, since the exact objective locations are not known.

Spider's and Cobra's die nerfer ability/equipment no doubt hurts The Gun the least, because The Gun has an auto-hit option with the Sniper Shot. Therefore they're better when The Gun is NOT in play. The reverse of this, that Orangutan cares less about each hit, is why I'd agree he's anti-Gun and a good option when The Gun IS in play. I don't know if the Puppet has a true counter, perhaps his lack of combat skills are made up for by this fact.

You can do this with the individual equipment cards too, which we'll get to next week in the previews.
    Webmaster
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    Spider's and Cobra's die nerfer ability/equipment no doubt hurts The Gun the least, because The Gun has an auto-hit option with the Sniper Shot. Therefore they're better when The Gun is NOT in play.
    I have a hunch that you know better than me, but I'm going to argue that the die nerfing is even more important when The Gun IS in play. My assumption is that Sniper Shot takes some careful positioning to be useful, otherwise the agent just goes around The Gun. If that positioning is achieved, then yeah, Spider is going to take the hit.

If The Gun can't get into position, she's going to be counting on Quick Draw, which I assume suffers from Spider's ability. That would also require you to reveal who you are, but at least you dodged a bullet (unless the agent can lie and pretend to mark down a hit?).

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunCaribou View Post
    I have a hunch that you know better than me, but I'm going to argue that the die nerfing is even more important when The Gun IS in play. My assumption is that Sniper Shot takes some careful positioning to be useful, otherwise the agent just goes around The Gun. If that positioning is achieved, then yeah, Spider is going to take the hit.

If The Gun can't get into position, she's going to be counting on Quick Draw, which I assume suffers from Spider's ability. That would also require you to reveal who you are, but at least you dodged a bullet (unless the agent can lie and pretend to mark down a hit?).
    I've only played once, maybe you're right.
    Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    I've only played once, maybe you're right.
    That's once more than I've played.

I'm actually starting to wonder if The Spider is like The Puppet: no specific counter; just an ability that's handy to have in most situations.