Thread: Summoner Wars Draft Cube

Default Summoner Wars Draft Cube

My buddy and I were wondering if this would be possible in this game? We love draft cubes (although Magic CCG and LotR CCG cubes are my favorite). My concept would be that everyone would draft a summoner first, and then the remaining summoners would be shuffled in with the rest of the cards which would be units, champions, and even events. The only thing that you keep with your summoner would be the starting setup (with the caveat that allows you to place any commons in the starting spaces. I know I know, that could get ridiculous).

But other than that any units or events could make it into your deck (I think I'd still make the 3 champion rule in place though). Obviously not all events could make it into the pool as some of them are way too specific for each faction (looking at you Sneek's events), or just wouldn't be desirable considering how hard it would be to coordinate getting the friendly commons. But I think there are still plenty of events that would be useful.

The other rule that would have to be made is that I think that after everyone drafts their deck they will have to sleeve their deck with different opaque cards as it would be a nightmare trying to remember what goes where after a game where all cards are scattered in all the various piles. It's not ideal for a draft cube as the card longevity would be compromised, but it's probably as good as it gets.

I tried to search for a thread talking about this but I couldn't find anything here or even at boardgamegeek. Has anyone else tried this out and tested it?

I think what I'm going to go with is that when you draft a Summoner you also get their starting setup's worth of cards. I was toying around with the ability to place any commons in those spots but I thought that would be too overpowered. So my next question is when would someone draft their summoner. I would assume there should be a separate draft for summoners since everyone needs them. I'm thinking we'd create a "pack" of summoners and everyone would draft from that pack, and then I would place the remaining Summoners not used (all of them), into the drafting pool for people to draft for more options.

I'm thinking I will need to put at least 2 of each common in the draft pool in order to have enough cards, as I don't think there are enough commons (even with the starting ones included), for multiple players to get up to 18 or more.

I would still incorporate the restriction on 3 champions in a deck. Obviously you can draft more if you want but you still can only have 3. Or should there be a restriction?

There won't be a restriction on the number of events/commons you can have in a deck, except that every deck has to have the same number of cards (ie 30 cards not including 3 walls and your summoner)

could be a cool things to try out - you could also possibly set aside some randomly shuffled commons in envelopes or something and if someone didn't have enough Commons then they could trade x number of cards for a Commons pack - same for Events and Champions -- or else you could have them drafted separately:
    Round 1: Draft Summoner 1
    Round 2: Draft Events
    Round 3: Draft Champions
    Round 4: Draft Commons
    Round 5-x: Repeat above as need for number of Summoners you're allowing in the draft
    Final Round: Construct your decks

I'm assuming that you intend the draft to be for the draft only - as in, with MtG, you keep the cards you draft, here they would only be kept for that tournament?
    ----
    "If you live to achieve all of your goals, you sold your life too cheaply"
    --E.E. Knight in Reign of Fire book 5: Dragon Rule--

Please check out and give me your thoughts on my factions at your leisure.
    Want to test your own Factions? Check here for text only format! (let me know if you have completed decks you want added!)
    Want something a little flashier? Check here! (major thanks to JYoder)
    Want the complete, customized package? Check here! (major thanks to b57123m)

Yeah this is more for casual play. I'm just building a drafting cube for Summoner Wars. No one will be keeping the cards. We could do the various things separately, but the fun of drafting is the flexibility to get some crazy decks. So if someone wants to grab a ton of events I want that to be possible, same with tons of commons. I suppose tons of champions should also be allowed.

Is there a particular reason you think Summoner Wars draft should be done in sections and separately? Do you think the decks should follow the rules for standard deck building (ie with the same amount of events, commons, champions in every deck)?

Quote Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
    Yeah this is more for casual play. I'm just building a drafting cube for Summoner Wars. No one will be keeping the cards. We could do the various things separately, but the fun of drafting is the flexibility to get some crazy decks. So if someone wants to grab a ton of events I want that to be possible, same with tons of commons. I suppose tons of champions should also be allowed.

Is there a particular reason you think Summoner Wars draft should be done in sections and separately? Do you think the decks should follow the rules for standard deck building (ie with the same amount of events, commons, champions in every deck)?
    I was assuming that the standard deckbuilding rules sans the limitations of faction were applying, especially since you mentioned concern about there being enough commons - if it's a no-holds-barred style, then that method really isn't helpful unless you want to ensure that everyone has an equal amount of the various parts to pool a deck from. For example, if you used that method and each player pulled 3 decks worth of Summoners, then you could still play in the various styles fairly thoroughly without hindering other players or forcing them into a specific playstyle (aka, I pulled all the Champs so you have all Commons or enjoy your 2-Wall deck because I pulled all of the others, etc)

Basically, the setup you want for the games is really what's going to determine how you draft them out I think - and it appears that my initial understanding of the 'how' of the deckbuild was inaccurate, so that method may not get you where you want to go.
    ----
    "If you live to achieve all of your goals, you sold your life too cheaply"
    --E.E. Knight in Reign of Fire book 5: Dragon Rule--

Please check out and give me your thoughts on my factions at your leisure.
    Want to test your own Factions? Check here for text only format! (let me know if you have completed decks you want added!)
    Want something a little flashier? Check here! (major thanks to JYoder)
    Want the complete, customized package? Check here! (major thanks to b57123m)