Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Alliances

I did notice those, but what intrigues me more is the island off South Meeric that looks like the Summoner Wars symbol....

I played two VV vs TG match ups. My first game I struggled with positioning terribly. Tried to give my cherubs LOS, then keep crusaders within two of them, then keep defenders next to them. Was WAY tough in the middle of a skirmish. I'm sure experience will help.

My second attempt I decided to quit trying to position the commons so perfectly and either focus on offensive OR defensive positioning depending on the board and my hand and it went much better. I had a lot more fun with her that second match and throwing her into the fray felt natural, so I'll likely be very risky with her.

Divine intervention is incredibly powerful IMO. Once I had Hogar in a bad spot, it let me finish him off easily, but since I had her in the fray, each wound felt very risky. I'm less enthused about change form with the base deck. Building things like cavalry knights into that deck will be lots of fun with it for me.

I won both of these matches but my opponent is less experienced in SW. Also, I think smart rune use is trickier than it looked in the previews. I'll try to focus on building a good magic pile, putting a rune on an ice golem then rushing him into the enemy side and unleashing a champ or series of commons.

I'm VERY excited about deck building with VV and TG, both from and to the other summoners.

So far my favorite base deck has been DB. It has proven to be just thinky enough but not make my brain hurt. Fear the gorgon!
    Last edited by Nburghardt; 02-22-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tristak View Post
    I did notice those, but what intrigues me more is the island off South Meeric that looks like the Summoner Wars symbol....
    Could it be Godshome? We know South Meeric is South America on steroids - It's a green heel of a jungle continent. None of the major factions reside there, and other than a few SO invasions, none have attacked the only civilization there, the Vekkids. Furthermore, the Vekkids appear to be located in the Eastern part of the continent, while the island is on the West coast. If there's some sort of geographical barrier between them, like mountains or desert, it's perfectly feasible to assume that no one has discovered it yet. Except Selundar adn possibly other summoners, but they have summoning stones, so instant teleportation.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I played a team game with the house rule that each team had to follow the factions from just 1 alliance. We played Demagogue and Warden versus Selundar and Melundak. The Filth actually went on the offensive! As the Warden I eventually pressed with The Soul Eater and Scabbicus, while I passed some mutations over to Demagogue to get some more in his discard pile. I also wasted some of his good mutations in my discard pile by summoning stuff. We focused on Melundak because he had lower life points, but Summon the Night and Shadow Snare were used defensively to buy them more time. Both of my champions died, and it took me two turns of attacking with the Warden to finally finish off the last life point of Mel. Then Selundar finished me off, and a Demagogue-controlled Bone Mutant, Abomination, and Cultist sealed the deal.

It was the first game of Summoner Wars for the Melundak player, and he liked the game. The Selundar player said he actually prefers the team game to the heads up game, and the guy on my team had fun as well. The game took about 2 hours, which is about standard I think for a team SW game.
    Last edited by Jexik; 02-22-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Could it be Godshome? We know South Meeric is South America on steroids - It's a green heel of a jungle continent. None of the major factions reside there, and other than a few SO invasions, none have attacked the only civilization there, the Vekkids. Furthermore, the Vekkids appear to be located in the Eastern part of the continent, while the island is on the West coast. If there's some sort of geographical barrier between them, like mountains or desert, it's perfectly feasible to assume that no one has discovered it yet. Except Selundar adn possibly other summoners, but they have summoning stones, so instant teleportation.
    That was my theory as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Selundar's Bio
    They stood in a marble outdoor common area on the peak of Mount Lagaronn, the single highest point in Itharia. The air was thin and their breathing labored. Were it not for the spell Selundar had cast, they would have lost consciousness almost immediately upon arrival.
    I'm pretty sure Godshome is supposed to be on the equivalent of Mount Everest in the Himalayas. And although I have a limited knowledge of plate tectonics and such, I feel like an island that close to the mainland wouldn't be able to have the highest peak in the world. Also the Shadow elves are located in the eastern part of Far Esta, pretty close to where the Himalayas would be.

@Jexik: Love that idea for variant rules! Lots of interesting combos doing that. Sneeks/Warden, Sunderved/Moyra,etc. It'd be cool to expand the rules so allied factions can intermingle abilities better. Like Sneeks being able to Sly with any Cave Filth unit not just ones he owns, living ahiels applying to all friendly CF units on the board not just your own, etc. Probably tons of brokenness in that though lol

There are some things that already worked pretty well, even if we didn't abuse it, such as Shield of the Hopeful not specifying "you control" so he could have protected my CF commons with it.

I think I'd let you do things like Maldaria and Elien or Elien and Ret too, but Elien and Immortal Elien would be kind of weird.
    Last edited by Jexik; 02-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    There are some things that already worked pretty well, even if we didn't abuse it, such as Shield of the Hopeful not specifying "you control" so he could have protected my CF commons with it.

I think I'd let you do things like Maldaria and Elien or Elien and Ret too, but Elien and Immortal Elien would be kind of weird.
    From a story perspective Maldaria and either Elien would be weirder then iElien and pElien to me.

Got my first play in with my wife. She played her favorites (Vanguards) trying out the Vargath Vanguards, and I played Jungle Shadows cause I love speed and assassination. I probably didn't play it well, but i was never able to utilize most of my special abilities, as her guys were too strong compared to mine and she kept in a tight formation in the middle of the board with walls all around. My movement and speed never came into play. And I lost badly. But it was a fun game and I want to try them in a different matchup. Also, I think Moyra from the Vargath Vanguards is better than I first thought when reading the preview cards. Some fun synergy with her commons and great champs. Will make some great deck build options.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast