Thread: Need Help Thinking of a Song

Default Need Help Thinking of a Song

I am playing my first real D&D campaign as a 12y/o chaotic good human bard with a magical ukulele. I constantly get him into mischief and serve no tactical purpose though often end up accidentally making things work out. I even finished off a zombie with a magical insult (it did psychic damage, so I would have thought he'd be immune but the DM let it go and it was funny, so no argument, I certainly don't know the rules).

Anyway, here is where you come in. My magical ukulele is a real ukulele and I cast my spells with real songs, but I am having trouble thinking of good ones for every spell. Ideally I want the song to be recognizable (nothing obscure) and have some direct reference to the spell name in the lyrics or some other obvious connection.

Here are some I already figured out:
    For Thunderwave I started playing the intro to ACDC's Thunderstruck. This got a huge laugh from everyone who didn't know I was planning this.
    For next time I've added:
    Minor Illusion - Final Countdown by Europe (Arrested Development reference, I know these guys will get it)
    Healing Word - Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
    Featherfall (slows your fall) - maybe Skyfall from the Bond movie, or Free falling by Tom Petty

But there are a couple spells that have me stumped:
    Vicious Mockery (debuff plus minor psychic damage from enchanted insults... Wow, love that this is a spell)
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter (no idea who Tasha is, but it makes someone find everything hilarious)

Any ideas? Not too concerned with Vicious Mockery. Last session I just played a riff while making up some childish insults. The laughter one though, hmmmm.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Doesn't Crazy Train start off with a laugh?
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

Yea, but first he says all aboard, which wouldn't really be relevant. I suspect I won't find a good one for the laughter spell. I might see if I can change it since I haven't used it yet.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Yea, but first he says all aboard, which wouldn't really be relevant. I suspect I won't find a good one for the laughter spell. I might see if I can change it since I haven't used it yet.
    I know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHk...hl=en-GB&gl=SG
    Olivier
    (olivier2703)

My first thought would be Oogie Boogie's song from the Nightmare Before Christmas. I haven't heard it in a while, so I'm not sure how well it would work though.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Also there is Feel Good, Inc. by Gorillaz (some language in it, not awful in my opinion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8PpYBiDsc#t=16
    ahath80 was Blunder the Sand Goblin Bomber in the HALL OF STATUES

For tasha's hideous laughter, use just about anything by weird al
    如果你理解了這一點,你真棒。

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    But there are a couple spells that have me stumped:
    Vicious Mockery (debuff plus minor psychic damage from enchanted insults... Wow, love that this is a spell)
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter (no idea who Tasha is, but it makes someone find everything hilarious)
    Google - Flight of the Bumblebee laughter song
    Look through Dr. Demento's song lists for other ideas.

The Psychic Damage of vicious mockery brings to mind Blue Oyster Cult - Psychic Wars.

Dude! Why not do something more updated. Get like a EDM song from Getter. When it comes to making dubstep music, he's the best. Just youtube the guy. He has some pretty insane songs that just might do the trick. Once you hear them, you'll know. A lot of dubstep artist use scary witch like visuals too.
    Last edited by AlexBoyKing; 03-18-2017 at 05:46 PM.