Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comic recomendations

Default Comic recomendations

Because Colgha and I have derailed another thread enough. This thread is to recommend comics series of any kind, super-hero or otherwise.

On of my favorite comics series is 100 Bullets, by Brian Azzarello. It starts off with an awesome concept:

The first few comics always start off with someone who's live is ruined in some way. You follow them around for a bit, when at some point they are approached by an old fellow called Agent Graves. Agent Graves hands the person in question an attache. This attache contains the following: A gun, 100 bullets, a photograph, and documents providing proof that the person on the picture is responsible for the recipients lousy life.

Graves informs the recipient that the bullets are untraceable, that any police investigation recovering them will be stopped immediately. Basically the recipient has a complete freedom to act on the information as he/she sees fit without legal consequences. What will the do?

That;s just how it starts, and as it evolves, just wow. One of my favorite stories even. Art is minimalist but fits the style and tone very well, the coloring really made me appreciate that part of comics even more. And the writer has a tendency to sorta-phonetically write the dialogue of anyone with some accent, which helped with immersion a lot, in my case. Also, it's a finished story: 100 issues collected in 13 collections (both numbers are significant in the story, 100 for obvious reasons, 13 would be a spoiler).

So yeah, feel free to share any other recomendations!

Anyone ever read Hellsing?
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

I am familiar with the show, and the abridged parody version. Not the comic itself.

The only comic I read is The Walking Dead, which I really like. Having seen the show before I ever read the comics, I have to say, it does have some remarkable differences, but it's still really good.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The only comic I read is The Walking Dead, which I really like. Having seen the show before I ever read the comics, I have to say, it does have some remarkable differences, but it's still really good.
    Read some of the comics (up till and including The Governor) that I borrowed from a friend will probably get to the rest later, watched the shows but stopped after Season 3 (IMO: When the show is good, it's REALLY freaking good. When it's not, it's REALLY freaking not).

I can really recommend the Walking Dead games by Teltale, though. Those were pretty amazing, though the visual style takes some getting used to for some people.

Getting back to comics: Anyone into Hellblazer? The comic the movie and show 'Constantine' are based on (the movie looser than the show, but the show is a lot more family friendly than the comic, trust me on this one). Interesting occult, a pretty progressive agenda (mostly set in the Thatcher-era in England), and a protagonist who sees just as much of a threat in the High Heavens as the Burning Hells. Oh, and a protagonist who ages along with his comic releases. (at least he did, I don't know if they got rid of that element later). It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    Read some of the comics (up till and including The Governor) that I borrowed from a friend will probably get to the rest later, watched the shows but stopped after Season 3 (IMO: When the show is good, it's REALLY freaking good. When it's not, it's REALLY freaking not).

I can really recommend the Walking Dead games by Teltale, though. Those were pretty amazing, though the visual style takes some getting used to for some people.

Getting back to comics: Anyone into Hellblazer? The comic the movie and show 'Constantine' are based on (the movie looser than the show, but the show is a lot more family friendly than the comic, trust me on this one). Interesting occult, a pretty progressive agenda (mostly set in the Thatcher-era in England), and a protagonist who sees just as much of a threat in the High Heavens as the Burning Hells. Oh, and a protagonist who ages along with his comic releases. (at least he did, I don't know if they got rid of that element later). It's awesome.
    The show is ALWAYS really freaking good though.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I really don't like the show, though I haven't read the comics.

My parents just ordered me three comics for my birthday though! I'm super excited, based off the recommendations by Syrup I got Blackest Night and Dark Victory. And lastly The Killing Joke, as that's widely regarded as one of the best comics of all time.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colgha View Post
    I really don't like the show, though I haven't read the comics.

My parents just ordered me three comics for my birthday though! I'm super excited, based off the recommendations by Syrup I got Blackest Night and Dark Victory. And lastly The Killing Joke, as that's widely regarded as one of the best comics of all time.
    Everything by Alan Moore that I have read so far was gold. Let me know if you liked blackest night (is it just that storyline you got, or the crossovers in th rest of th dc-universe as well?)

Joseph: My biggest issue with the show is that it feels too safe somehow. Especially season 2 was a drag, but everytime I was about to stop watching something happened that was really awesome. But on the whole, those spikes in excitement weren't enough to keep me around watching people I don't fin engaging. Had the same problem with lost: All the characters I found interesting barely had screentime, while the main protagonists wee aggressively uninteresting. Also, I hate love triangles, because they need 3 people who are legitimately interesting to be anything other than tedious. But that almost never happens

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    Everything by Alan Moore that I have read so far was gold. Let me know if you liked blackest night (is it just that storyline you got, or the crossovers in th rest of th dc-universe as well?)

Joseph: My biggest issue with the show is that it feels too safe somehow. Especially season 2 was a drag, but everytime I was about to stop watching something happened that was really awesome. But on the whole, those spikes in excitement weren't enough to keep me around watching people I don't fin engaging. Had the same problem with lost: All the characters I found interesting barely had screentime, while the main protagonists wee aggressively uninteresting. Also, I hate love triangles, because they need 3 people who are legitimately interesting to be anything other than tedious. But that almost never happens
    Just the main storyline, Blackest Night issues #0-8. The others were sold separately, and there was a Barnes and Noble sale of buy 2 get 1 free. And I really wanted the Batmans, so I just went with the core arc.

I get my fill of zombie stuff from The Last of Us (I really wanted to hate that game, but I can't). But all zombie stuff seems to pale in comparison to the story of that game. I also like Dead of Winter

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist

Quote Originally Posted by Colgha View Post
    Just the main storyline, Blackest Night issues #0-8. The others were sold separately, and there was a Barnes and Noble sale of buy 2 get 1 free. And I really wanted the Batmans, so I just went with the core arc.

I get my fill of zombie stuff from The Last of Us (I really wanted to hate that game, but I can't). But all zombie stuff seems to pale in comparison to the story of that game. I also like Dead of Winter
    And Blackest Night, I suppose.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Dark Victory, I really dig Tim Sale's artwork on Batman, especially how absolutely nasty Two-Face looks. Just... That eye... *Shudder*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast