Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Player Variant?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Default 6 Player Variant?

I have a group of 6 that really wants to play through Mice and Mystics. They just finished playing HeroQuest and wanna take the next step. Does anyone have ideas or house rules to make this work?
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

One person could play as the minions; I've done that when playing as a group.

If you add extra mice to a scenario to give everyone a player, you should add extra minions too. It would throw off the game play a little, but it would probably work in most scenarios. You may have to give yourself an extra page or two as well, as extra minions will cause the minion wheel to fill up faster and advance the page count. There are other adjustments that may be needed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus-cat View Post
    One person could play as the minions; I've done that when playing as a group.

If you add extra mice to a scenario to give everyone a player, you should add extra minions too. It would throw off the game play a little, but it would probably work in most scenarios. You may have to give yourself an extra page or two as well, as extra minions will cause the minion wheel to fill up faster and advance the page count. There are other adjustments that may be needed as well.
    My first thought was allowing a player to control the minions and act as they see fit - targeting whatever mouse they want, moving where they want, etc. I wonder if adding a 5th mouse counteracts that?

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Frank I PM'd you some ideas. Keep me updated on how things work out and we can think up some more.
    Always the Mice Guy!

I think the following could work in a casual group:
    - six mice in play (a player playing minions requires huge adjustments, as focus-fire would make short work of the mice; following auto-movement and attacks would get boring for the bad guy player)
    - advance chapter end marker one page (more defense rolls, more cheese on the wheel)
    - treat every encounter card as if your hourglass marker was two pages further

Use 2 encounter cards, and place all minions regardless of space restrictions only worrying about lack of models. Use ERW tokens as figures.

We're playing tomorrow with the ideas Jerry suggested to me tried out first. I'm gonna keep it flexible with the chapter end marker and kinda see what happens with the first scenario - with all these defense rolls, there might be so many surges that it could make sense just to remove it altogether, but we'll see.

Alright, I'm gonna be interested to see what happens, because I'd like to try this out myself as well.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

OK, so we played through the first chapter of Sorrow and Remembrance last night with 6 mice (Collin, Nez, Filch, Tilda, Maginos, Nere) and these rules:

1) Draw 2 encounter cards instead of 1
    2) Add 3 life to large minions
    3) Add 2 life to bosses
    4) extended the initiative track to fit everything

And I was loose with the chapter end marker... which was good because we lost before we got off of the first tile. Now, we're all kinda noobs, but we got surged so many times that we could never keep up with the Page 6 chapter end. We did however fend off all the minions somehow with heavy casualties. We didn't even add life to large minions and still got destroyed.

We decided once we got to the next tile to limit to one surge per room. That was ok but still very tough.

In the end we just decided to draw one encounter but play it 2 pages up. That seemed a bit more balanced, and maybe a touch too easy, though with more than 1 surge per room it might be fine. We'll play Lily's Tail next week with that rule in place and see how we do.

EDIT: Found out that we weren't supposed to be rolling defense dice for the minions if the Mouse rolls no hits (that's that darn Heroscape mindset working against me), and also I'm not sure if I should've been adding more than 2 minion cards onto the initiative track with 6 mice there, though it seems a bit pointless to draw 2 encounter cards if we're only going to get 2 cards of minions. Thoughts?
    Last edited by killercactus; 12-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.

I would use some ideas from this thread to make the game harder and more fun for the guy playing as the bad guys.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_for...ough-Hard-Mode

I played this hard mode once on my own, it was rough. Maybe just ignore the page/chapter stuff to see how it all works.
    Mainly these parts are the ones I think you could use the most.

Campaign:
    - All non-party, non-special search items, skills, tricks, cheese, achievements, and status are kept from each Chapter to the next.
    - Cheese cannot be traded between party members.
    - At the end of the chapter, cheese is awarded to all active mice that participated in the chapter. One Normal Wound is removed from each active mouse at the end of each Chapter.

Encounters:
    - No changes to the Encounter Deck.
    - There is an Instant Surge if the team gets to the end of the Initiative Track with no Minions on the board. This rule is ignored when Special Setups come into play.
    - If there is no Encounter Card active when a Surge is triggered, if there are no Special Surges, draw the next Encounter Card, reveal and activate the Surge, then shuffle it into the Encounter Deck.

Searches:
    - If a Search is done successfully, no card is drawn from the Search Deck. Instead, a Cheese is awarded automatically.
    - If, when doing a Search, a Cheese is spent from that mouse, if the Search is successful, the top card is drawn from the Search Deck instead.

I have bolded the main points. This will put more minions on the board, it will make searching harder and more risky. Cheese will be more like experience rather than a real item since it cannot be traded. This makes the game harder too since people would normally just trade cheese to who ever needed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast