Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Some More About Jexik

I think vs Tacullu ranged Jexik is the best option; that was the original intent with my ranged deck as I had a game as base jexik vs Tac and found it tough enough to explore deck options. Works well enough, though Owl Griffon makes that strategy not always viable now

Some games, I build too many commons. Some games, I build too few. How many commons are people building, in general?
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

All the commons that I need.

More seriously, I think 9-12ish, at a guess. I do the wall crowding Scrapper or Renegade Jexik though. The only ranged unit I run is Magos.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

I am revisiting some SW deck building and looking through Jexik's thread. I was wondering how good is Scrapper is in his deck. Technically, you have to have 2 Scrappers to use blindsides so Jexik must need to have an adjacent space to summon 2 of them (and hopefully do in 1 turn).

I feel the idea of playing Scrappers can be potentially powerful when combined with Daring Plan. With two of them together, they can literally deliver 6 AV to a single target. Also, with their more resilient body of having 2 HV, it open the possibilities of Jexik using Concealed Weapon when the Scrapper is well positioned and when the opposing players is pressure to destroy them. However, my qualms is Scrapper natural 1 AV attack which feels to me a little "meh" if the Unit is not supported by Event card.

Also, depending upon match-up, certain Summoners like Tundle, Brath, Queen Maldaria, Moyra Skylark and Samuel Farthen likes to play with close formation and this may give little opportunity for Scrapper to be place on the adjacent space of a hit Unit. In addition, to me personally, I find Renegades seem to significantly outclass Scrapper to a large extent.

What do you think of Scrapper in Jexik deck? Should it be included in Jexik deck? If yes, would this result in a significant opportunity cost and you Scrappers take a card slot over the inclusion the of other (perhaps better) units?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I've played Scrappers in Jex before and tried to setup that combo. It's hard to do because he doesn't start with any on the battlefield, but it can work.

I like Slashers more with Daring Plan
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Jex was one of my first summoner that I owned.
    It was hard to me to play him properly, but now when I learned more about game I can run him well.
    I think Gunner is the most undertated card. She is awesome with Heist, she can easily lasthit summoner and she can be moved 5 space without loss of moves in movement phase cause of Renegates.
    2nd important unit is Barston, he is insane to increase Clever Diversion range.

so I run:

Barston/Admiral/Violet/Spider
    4 Snipers/ 4 Gunners/ 3 Renegades + 3 Assassins/Tinkerers

I've found some of same things as above:
    - Barston; this is his home; good not just for Clever Diversion stuff but also Daring Plan, Heist, and can ping with a second sniper if you want
    - Slasher: must have for Daring Plan
    - Renegade: good for everything, but I like these a little more for Heist than Gunner, though I see owlords point about how the two work well together
    - Sniper: must have for pinging/action starter

Other than that, Admir and Violet are good everywhere, and Spider has solud stats and synergy with Clever Diversion. Bruisers can clearly work depending on matchup if you need to not play sniper ping and need more defensive beef. They're a good unit, esp with Admiral. There are times with Jex I've wished for straight up power like 3AV--to that end Dagger works if opponent messes up but I think Mingle could also be solid here. I don't really like Kyra due to cost and swinginess. Fink could work if you're using Rene or blocking with commons with BS but he clearly doesn't have beef to go toe toe

ive tried swarm Jex and am pretty underwhelmed with it.
    Last edited by commandercool; 06-22-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    I've found some of same things as above:
    - Barston; this is his home; good not just for Clever Diversion stuff but also Daring Plan, Heist, and can ping with a second sniper if you want
    - Slasher: must have for Daring Plan
    - Renegade: good for everything, but I like these a little more for Heist than Gunner, though I see owlords point about how the two work well together
    - Sniper: must have for pinging/action starter

Other than that, Admir and Violet are good everywhere, and Spider has solud stats and synergy with Clever Diversion. Bruisers can clearly work depending on matchup if you need to not play sniper ping and need more defensive beef. They're a good unit, esp with Admiral. There are times with Jex I've wished for straight up power like 3AV--to that end Dagger works if opponent messes up but I think Mingle could also be solid here. I don't really like Kyra due to cost and swinginess. Fink could work if you're using Rene or blocking with commons with BS but he clearly doesn't have beef to go toe toe

ive tried swarm Jex and am pretty underwhelmed with it.
    For me Jexik really comes down to Snipers and Slashers. I love the snipers here; line them up and duck away. This leaded me to run The Admiral because he is a great way to keep the Snipers alive if the enemy is pushing down on them. Now, even though I have the Admiral here, I don't swam. He just soaks up damage when an opponent rolls the exact amount to kill a unit; if they overkill it I let them die... Anyway, once he was selected, I felt Doc became obvious which led the the last slot to be filled by Kyra. Beyond that I play a few Renegades to help with heist and to add some early defense.

My main debate is fill my last two slots with Gunners or Thieves. I feel like Gunners work the best with Heist (like owlord said), but I am greedy and want Thieves to work... I go back and forth a lot here.

I love Jex. I have very few plays with him, but he's already the most fun summoner to me.

Here's my deck:
    Barston, Sin-Sin, Admiral
    x5 Assassin, x5 Demon Hands, x4 Thief

Deck can do a lot. Demon Hands are really wicked with Jex/Barston/Sin-Sin. With just one of Barston or Sin-Sin, they're pretty much guaranteed to throw 4-5 dice (sometimes 1 from own movement, 2 from attack, 1 from Jex ability, and 1 from Sin-Sin ability). If they live another turn, they throw 4-5 more dice.

I like Assassin more than Sniper because it's cheaper for the same role (damage range common, ping, assassination/straight-line AV unloading with events and/or Barston and Sin-Sin).

Tau (I think it was him) said it best on one of the earlier pages about Admiral.

I build both Heists and try to summon Thief + Sin-Sin/Barston same turn to get a steal. Thieves are great for Concealed Weapons (summon Unit for nothing when you want to spend magic elsewhere). They're also good for Daring Plan, as they're cheap. They don't get as much of a buff from Daring Plan as Slasher, but I find them more versatile/valuable throughout the rest of the game than Slasher, so I prefer them over Slashers.

Heist as an economic event doesn't make as much sense in the way that I'm playing the deck.

I'm always building first Clever Diversion (I mean, if I had an immediate use I wouldnt), and if both are drawn early before opponent has two walls, I build both.

Vanish works best on a big Daring Plan turn. Shoot with Assassin and Vanish it to allow something else to attack the same target. Otherwise, I don't think it pays off for its cost of a minimum of 2 magic. I don't like Dagger here because I'm not playing a defensive style. Besides, I already have a ton of defensive firepower with Demonhands, if I want to use them like that.

The deck is working really well as a timing deck to put a ton of pressure on opponent. I'm also really amazed how flexible Jexik is and how he can have a strong mid and late game win condition. I think it's possible Jexik is an A- deck. (I didn't realize until VERY recently his ability can be used on himself, so I thought we much worse than he actually is).
    Last edited by commandercool; 09-04-2018 at 10:06 PM.

I played around with Demonhands in Jexik and can recommand them but wouldn't go to that extreme. Barston+Jexik+demonhands are already great, with SinSin as well you will get too much dependent on them.

Demonhands have a good value here (compared to vlox) as 1st jexik can move them additionally (extra 4+ wounds that ignores defensive event/ability and allows for multiple kills) but also jexik himself is a really bad fighting unit with 2AV melee + 6 life.

I mostly agree that the demonhand + assassin is a good common spread (demonhands deal with soft targets, assassins are great vs. important targets). Don't overdo them, since vanish, daring plan and concealed weapons do not work on them. I'd go with max 4.

I personally do not like thiefs here due to heist. Yes you can use your champs, but that also means you reveal them and the whole turn gets clunky. Instead gunners + heist is great, but gunner are rather bad. I prefer therefore the Renegate as the third option, as you can double move (move + attack) to easily go into the backfield. Renegates also do very well with Jexiks ability, just daring plan is rather bad with them (discard works on movement phase attack, bonus AV only on attack phase).
    My decks would look like this

Jexik
    Barston (if you want to find a useful spot then this is probably the only deck), Admiral, Fink/Violett (heist, renegate cover)
    4 Demonhands, 1 bruiser, 4 assassins, 5 Renegates

but I guess I prefer a rather balanced deck, demonhands are cool even without Barston.

Jexik
    Mingle (stats are great + cloak events work) / Spider (good stats, additional ranged option and <-- stat efficiant unit for stability
    Fink / Kyria / Violett <-- Ranged AV, relatively low cost
    Admiral <-- ups value of the above units, let's demonhands survive longer and helps setting up the important turns
    3 Demonhands (anti commons), 3 Assassins (anti champ), 3 Sniper (great backfield unit with the many ways to cover/retreat it), 5 Renegates (backbone of the deck)

Overall Jexik has a lot of cool hidden stuff. just look at all the Scam interaction -> Scam + heist, Scam + clever division, Scam + vanish + heist. Other people really like the slasher + daring plan combo, but I'm not a big fan of hard to setup AND unreliable combos.

@vanish don't forget you can also use it setup a huge counter or to cover a high value unit. In fact bringing a lot of slasher could actually work well with ranged units + occasional vanish and renegate cover. I also really like it to retreat your units after you used clever division (assassins, snipers). If you kill your units instead of the opponent then the magic you payed for was still worth it (denied the opponent the magic)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast