Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Some More About Jexik

Yeah, Nikuya felt strong from the start, yet still requires play to understand his options, and I'm still not there after ~15 plays with him. Jexik doesn't feel strong until you play around and start combining his events, and you have those "Ah-ha!" moments.

Possibly the most fun my RL friend and I ever had for a single release was when Abua and Vlox came out together -- there was nothing like them, and we had a blast pitting their base decks against each other, with only an occasional merc or two. I'm happy to say we had that same initial feeling when Nikuya and Jexik came out together. However, given the many units they could instantly deckbuild with, and the other summoners we're still exploring, the days of packing tons of back-to-back plays into 1-2 base decks to really cement them are gone. So we've definitely more to explore with Jexik (and others) which is great.

It's embarrassing, but I'm pretty terrible with Jexik. Vanish and some of the other abilities still take me awhile to wrap my head around when best to use them, and I just haven't put in the time. Much like Bistro doesn't know how to play the Demagogue, I'm kind of in that boat. My favorite summoner is probably still Sneeks. I'm not sure what my strongest is; I used to play a decent straightforward Krusk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    It's embarrassing, but I'm pretty terrible with Jexik. Vanish and some of the other abilities still take me awhile to wrap my head around when best to use them, and I just haven't put in the time. Much like Bistro doesn't know how to play the Demagogue, I'm kind of in that boat. My favorite summoner is probably still Sneeks. I'm not sure what my strongest is; I used to play a decent straightforward Krusk.
    This is the first completely flubbed up thing about SW. We can argue about stalemates or magic drain or even old Thorkur; but Jexik not being good with himself means we needs some serious errata pronto.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

I agree with JYoder, Nikuya is more straightforward and obviously strong than Jexik. I feel like I'm only starting to see the power of Jexik. My current deck has gunners in lieu of the bruisers and Violet and Sin Sin subbed for Kyra and Doc, whom I like more with Vlox. It's obviously very strong at assassinating but surprisingly also decent in defense.
    Olivier
    (olivier2703)

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    I agree with JYoder, Nikuya is more straightforward and obviously strong than Jexik. I feel like I'm only starting to see the power of Jexik. My current deck has gunners in lieu of the bruisers and Violet and Sin Sin subbed for Kyra and Doc, whom I like more with Vlox. It's obviously very strong at assassinating but surprisingly also decent in defense.
    And yet I am more terrible with Nikuya Na than Jexik. Not to say I'm fantastic with him, but Nikuya Na may actually be on the list of Summoners that I am truly terrible with. My Jexik is porbably stronger than my Vlox, and I'll get Abua Shi soon (probably somewhere next week), so who knows, maybe I am more atrocious with the origingal ungle Elf.

As for the topic itself: I like to keep all my decks playable simultaneously with the minimum amount of purchases. So Jexik will not be getting more than his 2 starting renegades. He does however get all the slashers, just in case. Haven't really defined my champ lineup yet, but atm he has The Admiral (though I have never summoned him in any game yet), Kyra and Hawk (who is probably the champ in this lineup who's seen the most use). I love the Admiral in theory, but in practice his cost is often too high to get much use out of him. I find it tricky to build up my magic reserves with Jexik without building too many commons.

Admiral is insane in Jexik. Completely insane in a crazy drug addict murderer type of way.I have lost many a game to him and won quite a few because of him.

Na is definitely easier (well, better in general too) than Jexik. However, it is quite easy to play him poorly still. It's not like he's some autowinning dude like <spoiler>.

Oh wait, he's not out yet. At least there are no autowinning dudes yet.

Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Nikuya Na is terrible under my roof.

EDIT: Heh. No one got all rage-y. Shame. <evil laughter> Now I'll explain. In my house, we have something called the Na Curse. Essentially, no matter who plays him, no matter how well, if it's in my house (specifically, we are playing the game in MY house), he can't win because his dice rolls are piss poor. As in, Na himself has never dealt anybody a wound, save with his ability, because auto wounds! Even with Serpent on him, he goes 0/4. Literally Never. We noticed it in our first game, joked about, and moved on. Same with the second game. Not so much with the eight. And it applies to his units, too. Hunters have poisoned exactly 3 times. Out of a dozen or so games. For whatever reason, almost exclusively 5s and 6s are rolled when attacking rhinos, which almost exclusively roll 1s and 2s themselves. Hyenas roll a little better (if you consider an approximately 50% hit ratio "better"), but due to the aforementioned lack of hits, they pretty much suck. The tiger isn't so hot when his rider can't hit for his very life, not the Mitty Kitty hits very well either (very rough rounding up would put him at 30% hit ratio). JuJu is really funny, because he always hits really hard at first, and quickly whittles down to 1/3s or 0/3s. Thrice now has he copied a serpent unit and went 0/5, though to be fair, in one of the few displays of competence in this deck, he has gone 5/5 in the same scenario about 5 times (estimate). Makgongo is really the only unit that even performs near to par, as he almost always goes 1/2, which activates his ability. It happens to anyone who uses him in my house. Me, my father, my friends. We even have tried using only the custom JE dice, but to no avail. The funniest thing is that is only applies to Na, though. Abua is fine. He rolls perfectly normal with the exact same dice, exact same players. In fact, when we put Nikuya's units in Abua's decks, it works out just fine. Everything doesn't just go to the dice. Hunters hit and rhinos survive. It's nice. But they just don't work in Nikuya. Abua's units also don't well at all in Nikuya - I didn't even know it was possible to go 0/6 twice in one game, when my bro used both serpents on Shikwa on back-to-back turns.
    Last edited by Joseph; 11-20-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

How good do Demonhands work in Jexik?
    Jex is pretty week himself so better spend his life on DH that can use BS to a great amount. I haven't tested it jet, but looks like a good alternative to golems/renegates/bruiser. Like 3-5 DH (2-3 summon/game) + Admiral? I personally will also try to include Dagger, as he is way better here than in Vlox thanks to Vanish. So maybe a Thief/Demonhand/Renegate + Admiral, Dagger, SinSin build could work?
    Basically Thief + SinSin or BS for one turn steal, BS + DH move + SinSin for triple curse. Downside would be concealed weapon is harder to use, as DH are not cloaks.

Edit: Barston might be cool here as well. Quatruple curse could be epic!
    Last edited by jwalker; 12-01-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Not a bad idea actually jwalker. I find Jexok doesnt do much fighting and turtlwa alot in my game, DH's dont seem as bad there.

I'm kinda trying a ranged pinging deck as Jexik, assasins/gunners/snipers with Doc/Admiral/Kyra. It has some potential, especially with the adoc/admiral combo. BS can let you shoot then scoot to avoid retribution for your units.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

In playing my crowdy deck, I also do oftentimes find myself wishing I had an Assassin. I'm trying to convince myself though that my longing for Assassins and Bruisers comes from playing a lot of bade deck and being used to that style.

There is definitely merit though to a Ranged Jexik build.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast