Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Some More About Jexik

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Default Let's Talk Some More About Jexik

I wanna talk about Jexik (the Cloak, not the burger lover, though he's cool, too).

Jexik is one of my favorite decks in Summoner Wars currently. There's been quite a bit of talk about him already on the boards, but I'd like to get some streamlined feedback in one place about him. I'm hoping to get to a Doug's Guide episode on Cloaks very soon and I think I've got a good handle on his deck, but I thought I'd get some other opinions first.

My basic thought process with Jexik is to take advantage of all the extra movement that he has to offer. This lends itself very well to a crowdy-type deck - being able to move and reposition a lot of units at a time to limit how the opponent can respond. In that light, this is my current deckbuild:

Jexik

Violet (just tough to pass up for 4 magic, though I've considered Duggle for more movement. Also provides a bit of range)
    Barston (more extra movement is good here, and he doesn't cost you an attack like Sin-Sin)
    Admiral (keeping the commons alive once they're in position crowding seems very strong to me)

Thief x4 (Thieves make very good crowding units being nice and cheap, and also can get in to STEAL when they're protected against a wall)
    Slasher x5 (Again, another nice, cheap unit to crowd with. Also amazing with Daring Plan)
    Renegade x5 (Fantastic units to crowd and also provide some extra punch. Also can usually Heist the turn they're summoned)

I'm almost always using BS on my own turn in this deck to setup my extra movements, though there will be times where I can step away from one of my crowding positions, attack, and then BS back there on my opponent's turn. I love getting a Thief up against their starting wall, protected on either side by crowding the wall, because then it becomes a threat to use BS to get to the back row on any turn since its usually 4 spaces away. I mainly just try to choke off as much of the board as possible, limit what my opponent can do and then overwhelm him with my superior movement and versatility.

That's my strategy currently, though I see a lot of other possibilities. Scrappers with Daring Plan can be devastating to a Summoner or Champion if you can get 3 on the board. Dagger seems to love the Vanish event to setup his ability. Kyra and Bruisers combo nicely with the Admiral to put a strain on your opponent's magic pile. Assassins can have crazy threat range and hit hard, as can Snipers, and then be pulled back with BRILLIANT STRATEGIST to somewhere safe. Gunners are excellent with Heist, and also BRILLIANT STRATEGIST and VERSATILE can allow for movements even when GREATER SNEAK is used. It seems like every Cloak common can find a home in Jexik's deck somehow, as can many of the champions. Doc healing the Admiral comes to mind, as does Spider gunning for the back row while helping in the crowding game. Scam is really cool with Heist and adds even more extra movement, and can play the "peek-a-boo" shooting game along with Assassins / Snipers, Barston and BS.

This deck just seems to have so many options. What are some of the things others are doing?
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

First off, I better be on that cast.

Secondly, I love Jexik too. He's just the right amount of hard and it's quite refreshing. I've mostly stuck with his base deck because I am still trying to get a feel for how I would want to have him built. I've tried different strategies. I can't seem to rush, but what I have found to be effective is to attack the walls and lure the summoner out and hit him with Assassins and Events. I like to mix up my BS uses, it depends on the situation and I am still trying to get a handle on this awesome ability. There are so many tricks he can pull, and you touched on a lot of them. As far as builds go, I would really like to see a deck with Assassins, Snipers, and Gunners. Not sure how effective that would be, but I do like the idea of all range and the pinging possibilities. As for the champions, I'd throw in Violet, Barston, and maybe Rygos (to defend Jex).
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

As far as the podcast goes, its basically required that we have on esper88 the VloxMasta, and the actual Jexik. I'm not sure we're gonna do a 5th participant, but if we decide to I'll let you know.

I've also thought about the super ranged Jexik.... I'd just hate to lose Renegades since they're so awesome. Violet / Barston / Kyra is a nasty champ set, though.

What might even be more nasty is a super-ranged Marek. SG Shamans, Snipers, Hunters, Bauble, Violet, Fink/Barston/Kyra?

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    This deck just seems to have so many options. What are some of the things others are doing?
    Trying to figure out all those options! Seriously, there are so many ways to play with movement and tricks in Jexik that I'm still having fun trying to wrap my mind around it all.

But Barston in Jexik? Hunters? Fink? Bauble? Hehe. Well...

First let me keep playing the CL units I own with Jexik.
    Then actually own Alliances.
    Then play the Sand Cloaks.
    Then play all the other Alliances.
    Then play Alliance units in all factions without 2nd summoners.
    Then JS units in Nikuya.
    Then maaaybe I'll get around to Barston, Hunters, Fink, and Bauble in Jexik.

And that's not taking into account 2nd summoners, which I hope to see next year.

Hopefully I can fully participate in this discussion in late 2015 or early 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    What might even be more nasty is a super-ranged Marek. SG Shamans, Snipers, Hunters, Bauble, Violet, Fink/Barston/Kyra?
    They have a word for that. "Evil."

Okay to the podcast, I just miss being part of the gang.
    And I think I am going to try this ranged Jexik next time I play, so I will let you know how it works out.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

Haven't played as Jexik yet (although I've lost to him), but I'm very intrigued by his deck. Mostly just wanted to chime in here and say I'm glad to hear the podcast is coming back to life! I was worried it was going to fade away for good.

Then maaaybe I'll get around to Barston, Hunters, Fink, and Bauble in Jexik.
    Why exactly would you want Hunters, Fink, or Bauble in Jexik? they all require Event Abilities to get any utility.

Quote Originally Posted by sitnam90 View Post
    Why exactly would you want Hunters, Fink, or Bauble in Jexik? they all require Event Abilities to get any utility.
    I'm guessing JYoder didn't notice I started talking about Marek for a second.

I'm really digging Thieves here. They put pressure on the opponents to act - kinda like Rune Mages do

Quote Originally Posted by sitnam90 View Post
    Do they? Hehe. Off the top of my head, I didn't know that. Just listed them cuz I saw them in KC's post. For me, it's been information overload. Until I play a faction several times, nothing's gonna stick.

My point was playtesters (and hardcore Vassal users) are light-years ahead of most of us. I don't even have the latest 2nd summoners down, much less how they'll work with Alliance units. It feels like Alliances are truly opening the floodgates for deck-building potential -- for good and bad -- and since I can only play 4-6 games every 2-3 weeks, I'll be watching people lap me.

But to join in (minorly) I love Renegades in Jexik -- one of those units I wish I could pack more than 4 in my deck beyond the 2 at the start. Spider is a fun threat. Not a big fan of Doc, unless you're gonna grind it out and make the other guy come to you, which I've not bothered trying. Kyra also feels fun, but more situational.

Though truly, my head is not wrapped around all the potential, in playing as or against him. And since I've only played him ~10 times, my deck-building knowledge is fairly laughable, except to say Scrappers + Clever Diversion + Daring Plan can be a game changer, which makes me paranoid when playing against Jexik, to the point I play differently after Daring Plan has been played.

Yeah - I have the benefit of having a lot more plays under my belt of Jexik, and also of Barston. But, one of the reasons I set this thread up is I feel like Jexik's been out long enough now that there should be some people starting to get the hang of him. I see / hear a lot of Nikuya Na proficiency, ideas, and talk about being overpowered, so it seems like a lot of players have figured him out, but I see / hear a lot less about Jexik. While he might not be equally strong, I feel that he's in the top echelon of Summoner Wars when played well.

And honestly, I think part of his "theme" is being tough to figure out. He's the most brilliant strategist in all of Itharia - you shouldn't be able to out-think him. I love the complete plethora of options he has.

I think if I was one of those players that "mained" a deck, Jexik would be my "main" (at least until Moyra is out, then I'm contractually obligated to "main" her). Unfortunately for me, I feel the strong need to play everything well.

There's something to having a couple Bruisers in the deck - that's the only thing I feel like I miss in my build above. I like that beefy common that I can kinda toss into the fray knowing that he might survive (even without Admiral's help) for me to catapult further in on the next turn, and he packs a punch.

How about a magic denial Jexik? Something like Kyra, Admiral, Doc/Scam/someone else, Thieves, Bruisers, Rune Mages, Renegades? STRATEGIST works on Mercenaries, so with good positioning, you can BS a Rune Mage up to an opponent's wall at the beginning of the turn and then SIPHON that turn. Between that, Admiral COVERing them, and maybe even Doc healing them, it's got some potential anyway. Kyra / Bruisers cost magic to hit, Admiral denies killing stuff, Thieves/Heist steal more magic.... Maybe Vlox does it better with Raid and Magic Drain and CoS on Rune Mages, but I dunno.

I suppose Stone Golems look good here, too, with BRILLIANT STRATEGIST working on them. Might be an interesting play instead of Bruisers in a deck not centered around choking the opponent out of magic.
    Last edited by killercactus; 11-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast