Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Swamp Orcs - Brief Tactics Guide

From what I've seen so far, here's what I can gather about the SO:

-Control is one of their major advantages. Vine walls aren't terribly strong by themselves, but the mass of walls combined with hunters, shamans, and Glarg make the swamp very powerful and difficult to work around.
    -Savagers are fantastic offensive units, and the using your vine walls to advance summoning position means you can get a Savager close to your opponents summoner. But, since they cannot walk straight over Vine Walls, they suck at defense.
    -Glarg is awesome, but I haven't been impressed by the other two champs. Their good, but a tad expensive for my tastes and not that impressive stats wise. So far. I really have preferred summoning Savagers instead of the other SO champs.
    -SO events are a great source of magic. I can see the uses for all of their events, but they are highly situational. Most of the time I build them. Glarg has some good synergy with these events however; vinemancer ambush/guard can really help him in a major push.

Quote Originally Posted by sitnam90 View Post
    -SO events are a great source of magic. I can see the uses for all of their events, but they are highly situational. Most of the time I build them. Glarg has some good synergy with these events however; vinemancer ambush/guard can really help him in a major push.
    This is a very good point. If you don't have to use it, vine growth might not be a bad thing to drop (especially against a faction like the GD.) Same with Ambush. If you can use it against a champ or summoner or something, do it, but don't hold it too long. Guard is something that you should almost always drop, like Duck and Cover with the SG, because its very hard to justify using it on one common unless Mugglug is about to die or something. Ensnare is probably may favorite event from them, because you can move around your own units and make holes to attack summoners who thought they were safe. But its still something that can be dropped if your opponent never plays any commons.

I also have some tips about using the Events.

- Vine Growth is a must, especially against the Guild Dwarves. You need at least one to begin rebuilding after a Besiege the Walls. You should never dump these unless you have a mass factory and you're not facing the Guild Dwarves or Sand Goblins.

- Vinemancer Guard is potentially the weakest Event in the deck. It's very much usable if you draw them late in the game for Mugglug to take advantage of, but in the end it's the first event dumped, especially against the Phoenix Elves, Cave Goblins, and Cloaks.

- Vinemancer Ambush is surprisingly great in the mid-game and late-game with literally any Unit. It's also got a niche use in allowing Savagers to cross Vine Walls safely. However, this is the second-weakest Event Card and might not both see play.

- Ensnare is the Event Card that can be very useful at times and horrible at others. Versus factions with any Catch-Up Events, Ensnaring their Commons out of Harm's way (especially to the Vine Wall behind your initial Wall) makes for a very good tactic to bait more champion spam. What the Swamp Orcs hate is a flood of strong commons from the opponent that can potentially deal with the Units they put out and still block entry into their territory. Hence, using Ensnare, you can keep your attack going.

- You want Mugglug to be up close to the front to be able to smash some Vine Walls in case your attack stalls and you can't summon offensively just to be able to summon another Unit.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcor13 View Post
    This is a very good point. If you don't have to use it, vine growth might not be a bad thing to drop (especially against a faction like the GD.) Same with Ambush. If you can use it against a champ or summoner or something, do it, but don't hold it too long. Guard is something that you should almost always drop, like Duck and Cover with the SG, because its very hard to justify using it on one common unless Mugglug is about to die or something. Ensnare is probably may favorite event from them, because you can move around your own units and make holes to attack summoners who thought they were safe. But its still something that can be dropped if your opponent never plays any commons.
    Exactly. I definitely think all of the events can be very useful in the right scenario. But the SO are not a event-heavy factions. Their events allow for some interesting tactics. But compare to the Cave Goblins and their events. CG events are the glue that brings the cheap 0-cost swarm theme together, and are amazing in their synergy with the rest of the deck. SO events aren't that important to the deck, and unless I see a clear and immediate use for an event I'd rather build it to get out more Savagers.

Why so much hate for Vinemancer Guard? It's a die number away from Goblin Invincibility for cripes sake. Yes, that is a big number, but playing it when you're making a huge offensive push is incredible. I play Vinemancer Guard second only to Vine Growth.

Ensnare is the real stinker for me. I'd much rather kill those commons when they're next to a vine wall, not on it.

Vine Growth to grow a wall under a major champ is a great play, especially if you can then attack them with Hunters/Glarg from range. It's my favorite underhanded play for the deck.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post

Ensnare is the real stinker for me. I'd much rather kill those commons when they're next to a vine wall, not on it.
    I use it when I'm facing fairly tough or faster that I don't want getting close to my summoner, or to try and isolate a unit. TO Tharters, Chargers, JE Elephants, etc.

Dont forget Ensnare also work on your own common units.

You can use it for defensive back up, use it on Hunter to enable his +1, use it on one of your own unit then drag an enemy unit next to it for a quick battle where otherwise impossible...

ensnare's 4 spaces range is really really long, a dead center vine wall means you can pull in any common unit from almost anywhere on the battelfield, pretty insane reach if you ask me

anyways... SO is the least amount of game we play in our groups (no more than 3 games I think) so I dont really have much to say aside from the above.

Here is something I just learned during a test game, when the Swamp Orcs became the first ever army to defeat my cousin's unbeatable Guild Dwarves.

When playing the Swamp Orcs, don't build your regular Walls as magic, even if you feel confident with your Vine Wall jungle. 1 Besiege the Walls demolishes your entire jungle, so you want to put your walls in the front line of your side of hte board, so that if your Vine Walls are destroyed, you can still summon dangerously close to your opponents summoner.

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    Ensnare is great for clearing lanes to get access to a Summoner or other vulnerable target. There are lots of events and abilities in the MS that can do this (Taunt, Ensnare, Into Darkness, Mage Push, etc), which is bad news for Elien, Ret, and all the frail summoners that like to hide behind commons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauam View Post
    Dont forget Ensnare also work on your own common units.

You can use it for defensive back up, use it on Hunter to enable his +1.
    Ensnare is a placement not a movement like the PE Warrior blaze step.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast