PDA

View Full Version : Filch Attack Question

tallguylehigh
07-16-2014, 09:58 PM
My friends and I just played the first chapter and had a GREAT time.

I did have a question.

One of my buddies is playing Filch and during one of his searches he found throwing daggers that he assigned to his tail. So he now has the standard dagger and throwing daggers.

My question is- how does this impact his attack?

Can he choose a melee attack (standard dagger) or ranged attack (throwing dagger)? Can he do both, attacking two targets in one turn as his standard move?

Thanks!

Sydcomebak
07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Assuming that Filch has no special abilities, the only way this affects Filch is that he may decide to make 1 attack with 1 of those weapons without worrying about using a free action to equip.

At first this seems kinda lame. Why do I care if I spend a free action to switch weapons?

Well, since Filch has effectively 3 weapon equip slots, he could equip 3 daggers with 3 separate effects all at once and then decide based on the situation which weapon is best to use that turn.

Highest on the Init track? That dagger is nice. Need cheese for the party? Slicing dagger. Facing some Elite Rats? Throwing daggers.

He's a 1 mouse Swiss Army Knife.

But best of all is hooking Filch up with Knife Strike and turning him loose on a rat. The fur was flying, my friends... Also he becomes formidable against large minions which is an area he usually should stay away from.

ledigeine
07-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I've only played chapter one as well. But I found some bow at some point and it was very nice being able to do ranged or melee depending. I did not notice that you had a free action to switch weapons so i guess its not a big deal. I figured switching weapons was actually a bad thing but i guess not.

tallguylehigh
07-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the clarification!

So as a follow-on, let's say that Filch has a dagger and throwing dagger equipped.

When attacking, he would have to identify what target he is going to attack and based on his rolls will determine if it is melee or ranged damage.

Example:

Filch has a roach next to him and a rat on the far end of the tile. He decides to attack the rat on the far end of the tile. He rolls his attack die and gets one bow and one sword. That would count as only one hit on the rat and no damage to the roach

Also you said it is an extra weapon slot- so everyone else can carry two weapons (one equipped, one stored)?

Targanth
07-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the clarification!

So as a follow-on, let's say that Filch has a dagger and throwing dagger equipped.

When attacking, he would have to identify what target he is going to attack and based on his rolls will determine if it is melee or ranged damage.

Example:

Filch has a roach next to him and a rat on the far end of the tile. He decides to attack the rat on the far end of the tile. He rolls his attack die and gets one bow and one sword. That would count as only one hit on the rat and no damage to the roach

Also you said it is an extra weapon slot- so everyone else can carry two weapons (one equipped, one stored)?

When attacking, he would identify the target he plans to attack, and then identify which equipped weapon he will use, and then roll attack dice. So if he chooses throwing daggers to attack an adjacent minion, he counts bows rolled for hits as it is a ranged weapon.

All mice can choose to carry weapons in their pack, as long as the pack has no more than 3 items in it. If Filch chooses to equip multiple weapons, it frees up space in his pack. He could carry up to 3 one-handed weapons, or a two-handed weapon and a one-handed weapon.

Remember that some weapons offer the wielder a defensive bonus. So a mouse that has a choice of a weapon with an offensive boost and a defensive boost must remember to constantly equip and unequip weapons so the correct one is active. Filch can avoid having to remember this by having multiple weapons equipped.

Any mouse could equip two one-handed weapons. Filch has the ability (with Knife Strike) to attack more than once in a turn.

Sydcomebak
07-27-2014, 12:33 AM
All mice can choose to carry weapons in their pack, as long as the pack has no more than 3 items in it. If Filch chooses to equip multiple weapons, it frees up space in his pack. He could carry up to 3 one-handed weapons, or a two-handed weapon and a one-handed weapon.

Be careful. The weapon held in Filch's tail MUST be a dagger.

Grungebob
07-27-2014, 10:56 AM
In Downwood Tales, daggers are always available to purchase in the town of Headfall Hollow.

ledigeine
07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Be careful. The weapon held in Filch's tail MUST be a dagger.

Reading that post above this is exactly what I was going to say.

You couldn't have a 1h sword held by the tail but a dagger sure. Thats why the perk he gets is nice but not over powered really.