PDA

View Full Version : Any Playdek Ascension players?

JYoder
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Playdek also made Ascension, and while I see all my SW iOS friends listed in Ascension, that doesn't mean they own it. So if you do, and want to play, give a shout out here and I'll setup a game for 3-4 of us. Thanks.

Ranior
03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I have the app and would play online...although never have. If you invite me Ill play and figure it out though.

JYoder
03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Invite sent. Hopefully can get at least 1 more person down the road.

Uncleeurope
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Send me one. I gots dis. Maybe....

JYoder
03-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Cool. Ranior hadn't accepted yet, so I deleted it and made new one with all 3 of us.

May the best man (or UE) win! ;)

Uncleeurope
03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
It looks like it wont let me play unless I buy something...? Never done that to me before...

Aratrea
03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
I've got the app.

Are you on the latest version of it, Uncleeurope? There have been a couple new versions over the past few days, some of which have made the online game unplayable, but I think it's fixed now... Because I only had the basic game w/o expansions for some time and could always do it... :/

JYoder
03-06-2014, 06:55 PM
There was recent update. However, I also bought (when they were on sale) 3 exps for it: RotF, SoS, and Heroes. Do you (and Ranoir) or anyone else have those too? I set the game up for that, so you can't join if you don't have them. Tell me what you have, and I'll set it up for only those.

Adam
03-06-2014, 07:30 PM
If anyone doesn't have it, the base game is now free.

Also, for those who have updated, there are now ads, but you can disable them in the menu.

Aratrea
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I have the three expansions. Where do I find the game? (aka, what's your playdek ID?)

Ranior
03-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't have any of the expansions actually. I play Acension sparingly. I like it, but I generally have a big complaint about the center row mechanic and the lack of equal options there. I tend to prefer other deckbuilders.

With that being said if the expansions aren't that costly I'd be down. Otherwise I'm in the base game only boat right now.

Uncleeurope
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I only have base game myself.

EDIT: I just sent you both a request for a base game. Lets see if that works...

JYoder
03-06-2014, 08:54 PM
That worked, UE.

As for cost of exps, Ranoir, they are all in the app, so you can see them there. I think more of them helps even out the center row a bit with other options, but still, it can be an "issue," but one I don't mind too badly for such a fairly quick game.

I have the three expansions. Where do I find the game? (aka, what's your playdek ID?)

My ID is JYoder77, what's yours?

Aratrea
03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
My Playdek ID is Aratrea

Adam
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
The lack of equal card options makes Ascension somewhat like drafting a CCG. When there is a clearly better card that doesn't fit the current player's deck well he is faced with choosing it just to deny his opponent who could utilize it well or taking something more effective for his personal deck. It's why center row banishing cards are usually a high priority for me, so I can control what options my opponent has without having to take bad picks myself.

My Playdek ID is Adam Palma if anyone ever wants to throw out a challenge. I have all the expansions, including the latest, super wacky one. I have probably played close to 3,000 games by now. One more couldn't hurt.

JYoder
03-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Adam and Aratrea, I invited you to our own game with the 3 other exps, which I assume you also have, Aratrea.

Ranior
03-07-2014, 11:27 AM
That worked, UE.

As for cost of exps, Ranoir, they are all in the app, so you can see them there. I think more of them helps even out the center row a bit with other options, but still, it can be an "issue," but one I don't mind too badly for such a fairly quick game.

I don't mind the center row mechanic terribly either, but it's what pulls the game down for me. In person I play Domnion or Thunderstone very readily over Ascension as I far prefer both of those games. I'll play rounds of Ascension though and it is fun, but I don't love it. Probably something like a 6-7 for me--a game I enjoy playing time to time but don't really need to own.

Also I've been working on updating the app and trying to get into some games with you guys...but it's taking a bit. I'm still on an iphone 4 with 8 gigs and it's really starting to slow down...plus with all the games and apps I have I didn't have room to update...basically I'm having to do some reorganization and deletion of some of the excess games to get this thing running well again. I should be joined and playing by the end of the day. If it works well I'm open to playing several more games.

Finally if the expansions really do help mitigate the center row mechanic a bit, I'm completely for them. I might check them out.

JYoder
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
UE already set us up with a base only game. All you need to do is accept it and we'll start. (After you update the app.)

Adam
03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm familiar with all the expansions. What don't you like about the center row, Ranior? I might be able to help.

Adam
03-09-2014, 12:00 AM
JYoder stole my child!

Starchild is one of my favorite cards. :(

Good game!

JYoder
03-09-2014, 12:28 AM
JYoder stole my child!

Starchild is one of my favorite cards. :(

Good game!

Guess I'm a kidnapper. :) Yeah, she's a great card and much better than the Apprentice I was expecting.

Fun games! And glad you could charge your iPad in time!

Ranior
03-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Hey Jyoder and UE, what's up with our game? I'm still in to play some games and try it out.

I'm familiar with all the expansions. What don't you like about the center row, Ranior? I might be able to help.

Well looking at the prices, it seems clear that the Bundle is the only sensible thing to buy anyhow if I am going to expand. (3 or 4 dollars per expansion or 5 dollars for all? Easy choice)

With that being said, my specific qualms about Ascension primarily are around the center row mechanic. I just do not like how not everyone has equivalent access. It adds another level of luck on top of the luck of the draw. This isn't to say it's terrible--clearly the center row mechanic is one of the core pieces of the game design. My main point is when I'm looking to play a deckbuilder in person with friends, I turn to Dominion and Thunderstone as I both prefer those. Ascension is a good game that I like, but to me Dominion is a great game that I love.

The real problem to me though is how some cards I never even get a chance at and can be so good. In the base game, mechana are worth insane points compared to any other option. Yet my opponent snatches the Grand Design before I ever get my shot at it, and am left with less attractive options. It's a frustrating additional level of luck that I'm not fond of. There are plenty of ways to help mitigate that luck, and that is a good part of what Ascenscion is about I think (controlling what is in the center row, and being flexible with your deck to both be able to take out monsters or buy cards). If some expansions help make that luck easier to mitigate or somehow lessen it though, that would be something I'm interested in.

Adam
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't think any of the expansions really alter that for better or worse. Also, Mechana constructs are always worth their cost in points, but in later expansions their abilities are not as ridiculously good as the ones like Grand Design in the first block (Chronicle of the Godslayer + Return of the Fallen). That is one reason I like Block 2 more (Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes).

Many Ascension players like to just mix all the sets together and not play them by block, which can also be fun, but adds even more randomness to the center row, so I imagine you might not like that method any better.

Ranior
03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't think any of the expansions really alter that for better or worse. Also, Mechana constructs are always worth their cost in points, but in later expansions their abilities are not as ridiculously good as the ones like Grand Design in the first block (Chronicle of the Godslayer + Return of the Fallen). That is one reason I like Block 2 more (Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes).

Many Ascension players like to just mix all the sets together and not play them by block, which can also be fun, but adds even more randomness to the center row, so I imagine you might not like that method any better.

Aha, probably not. Adding more randomness and even less cohesion to the center row likely would frustrate me more. As is now you can at least get some nice synergy between enough cards to make do with what is there.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll have to look more into it. If I start playing some more games online with some players here maybe I'll wind up getting expansions and trying it out. I love gaming and playing games with friends on my iphone is a nice way to get some daily gaming in.

Aratrea
03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Yeah. Expansions add a lot more variance to the center row when mixed all together, but are overall more balanced and complicated than the initial game, where you can quickly figure out exactly which cards are great (Grand Design, Master Dhara) and abuse them. I prefer playing with the second set (Storm of Souls + Expansion) since it adds a whole more variance in different ways to win than the initial game does. Also provides a lot more strategic choices for the players, especially with the mechana construct abilities.

JYoder
03-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I like the Ascension exps a lot. More card choices. More options to banish cards you don't want others to have. More options to acquire cards from the void. More ways to creativity use your attack points if no monsters are available. More options to cycle through your deck faster, etc. (It also helped that the artwork got a lot better!)

However, the center row mechanic will always be what it is, so I get why some prefer Dominion or Thunderstone (because the same cards are always available from start to finish) yet I also get why some don't (because the same cards are only available from start to finish.) :)

On a side note, while I like Dominion, I was surprised I didn't like Thunderstone, as it felt like more of a math exercise and not at all like I was delving into a dungeon. Also, my favorite deck builder these days is Marvel Legendary.

Speaking of Marvel, anyone looking to get the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters dice builder game? I was excited at the idea of Quarriors, but overall didn't care for it for various reasons. However, it looks like they're addressing many of those issues with this new game.

Uncleeurope
03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Speaking of Marvel, anyone looking to get the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters dice builder game? I was excited at the idea of Quarriors, but overall didn't care for it for various reasons. However, it looks like they're addressing many of those issues with this new game.

Yeah It looks like it is smoother and more strategic. I am definitely more interested in it.

Uncleeurope
03-12-2014, 01:58 PM
As yu have probably noticed, JYoder, I got bored of waiting for Ranior. :P

JYoder
03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
As yu have probably noticed, JYoder, I got bored of waiting for Ranior. :P

LOL... especially since I considered doing the same with you for the same reason. :)

Ranior
03-12-2014, 04:08 PM
I like the Ascension exps a lot. More card choices. More options to banish cards you don't want others to have. More options to acquire cards from the void. More ways to creativity use your attack points if no monsters are available. More options to cycle through your deck faster, etc. (It also helped that the artwork got a lot better!)

However, the center row mechanic will always be what it is, so I get why some prefer Dominion or Thunderstone (because the same cards are always available from start to finish) yet I also get why some don't (because the same cards are only available from start to finish.) :)

On a side note, while I like Dominion, I was surprised I didn't like Thunderstone, as it felt like more of a math exercise and not at all like I was delving into a dungeon. Also, my favorite deck builder these days is Marvel Legendary.

I will say that I prefer Dominion. I do also like Thunderstone quite a bit though, but there is a lot more math and calculation. It doesn't really make things very smooth at times and it can bog down. The theme is iffy at parts...overall I like it though.

LOL... especially since I considered doing the same with you for the same reason. :)

Whoah what is this? I didn't get a notification that it was my turn. Does Ascension not do that? I like how Summoner Wars lets me know when it is my turn. Does this app not do that?

Taking my turn now at least.

JYoder
03-12-2014, 04:14 PM
It will notify you, though you may have to turn it on in your Notification settings.

Adam
03-12-2014, 10:36 PM
For those interested in the tabletop game, the next set has been announced!

http://www.battlegroundgames.com/stoneblade-entertainment-reveals-ascension-realms-unraveled/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=stoneblade-entertainment-reveals-ascension-realms-unraveled

I really didn't like the last block. The Transform mechanic was cool in concept but attached to Energy, which was constantly the cause of extremely lopsided games. Now it looks like they are revisiting Transforming cards without energy, bringing back Unite (woo!) and giving it additional effects for more cards played.

And on top of all this fun stuff... dual-faction heroes! Vigil meets Ravnica. Should be interesting, particularly art-wise.

Ranior
03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Hey Jyoder thanks for that. I should hae thought to check that. Not sure how it got set to not display but now it is alerting me--which is why I am taking turns now.

Interesting game thus far. I am liking how I am set up here.

JYoder
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I'd have thought that was the default. Ah well, glad it's working now.

BTW, I think you guys would really like the exps, and for only $5 now, that's a great price for a ton of cards with a couple of new features / mechanics. In fact, you'd have more cards than me as I've not bought any promo packs.

Adam
03-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Storm of Souls plus Immortal Heroes is a far more interesting deck than the original deck. I usually play just those two and one or both of the most recent promo packs (I find the first two have some busted cards).

Ranior
03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm tempted to expand. If I start playing a few games online here with you guys I likely will. Otherwise I don't play enough to justify it.

JYoder
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Good to know about the promo packs. I've avoided them as you get so few cards with each, so if some are OP, then all the more reason to avoid them.

JYoder
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
BTW, which exp(s) add Fanatics and Event cards? For me, those alone make it worth the price of admission.

Adam
03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes. Either one will add fanatics and events.

In Promo Pack 1 there is a card called Pathwarden. 6 cost Lifebound hero. Effect: Gain 2 runes. This turn, you may spend runes as though they were power.

Basically, pretty ridiculous. It is rare for the Pathwarden player to lose if he has a consistent deck because he enjoys the best of both worlds with no drawback. Some disagree that he is overpowered, but he is fairly unpopular.

In Promo Pack 2 there is a monster that costs 10 with the effect: Gain 10 honor. Remove the remaining honor from the honor pool (making this the final round).

This can lead to some surprisingly quick games despite the cost. If someone can rush enough power to do it early, or even better, rush some mystics to buy Aaron the Godslayer, it ends in a quick, boring game. Not necessarily overpowered, just not fun.

The newest promo pack has some really powerful cards, but they're so fun and rely on randomness, so I like it. I particularly like it because it is comprised of cards exclusive to the digital format and which wouldn't be possible/practical offline (for instance, effect: banish a card in your hand, gain a random hero from any expansion into your hand).

Colgha
04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Add me to the list of Ascension players :D

JYoder
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
You accepted my game and I accepted yours. :) We can drop one if you'd like, but neither game is starting. Did you buy the bundle? BTW, if someone else wants to join, we can do more than 2 players later.

Colgha
04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Both, JY. We will play both.

And yeah, I bought the bundle, but I didn't want to jump right into three new things right away so I didn't select them for our game.

And I'd love a 4 player game! :D

JYoder
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Sure thing. After these 2, if you want to just solo it for a while to get a feel for cards, then by all means do so.

Aratrea
04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
You accepted my game and I accepted yours. :) We can drop one if you'd like, but neither game is starting. Did you buy the bundle? BTW, if someone else wants to join, we can do more than 2 players later.

I'm interested in joining you guys for a game once your current ones are done. :)

Colgha
04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Sounds good :)

I'm still really new/bad

Ranior
04-09-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm still in for playing some games too. Anyone feel free to invite me to a game. I plan on buying the expansion packs finally too, although haven't actually yet done so which needs to happen here.

Colgha
04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
I still don't fully understand how to be good at this game... Like it doesn't seem hard, but I keep losing! Haha

JYoder
04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
It was only a matter of time. Congrats on the win!

tortugatron
04-10-2014, 10:10 AM
I still don't fully understand how to be good at this game... Like it doesn't seem hard, but I keep losing! Haha

Then we should play! :)

Colgha
04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Oh, you are on! Tortugatron! (It rhymes)

And thanks JY! First one! :D

Ranior
04-10-2014, 07:25 PM
These new cards all at once is wild...I have like no clue what is happening haha!

JYoder
04-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that'd be a bit overwhelming, but you'll do fine, as has Colgha. When I first got them, I had fun soloing games in attempts to do all the achievements, some of which have a puzzle-like feel to them.

Colgha
04-13-2014, 01:33 AM
These new cards all at once is wild...I have like no clue what is happening haha!

That's how I feel! I just get so confused and overwhelmed!

Colgha
04-14-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't even care what happens in any game ever anymore, you all can continue to pummel me. I got Aaron the Godslayer in the first two games I ever saw him in, and in one of the games I even used him to defeat Samael (though that's not a first). This is a good day.

Adam
04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I recently got seven runes on turn one but there was no high cost card like Aaron to swipe. Aaron on turn one, followed by playing him two turns later to defeat Ender of Days would be the worst game ever.

Colgha
04-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Or the best game ever, haha.

What's your playdek ID??

JYoder
04-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Wow. That is easily the closest 4 player Ascension game I've ever seen: 72-72-73-74. Crazy. Congrats, Colgha!

Colgha
04-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks! :) And great game to you guys! Was that the one where I was down like 20 Honor in the end, but my deck made up for it? (I was trying to do the same thing Aratrea did a few games prior).

I'm still trying to understand the best strategy, which at the moment seems like just acquiring as many cards as possible. Which is no fun compared to killing monsters. JY and Aratrea, you guys keep kicking my butt in single player, you have any advice?

Also, all the Void cards let you banish cards from your hand and discard, why would that be a good strategy? So that you control what is in your deck better? I still feel like I would want as many cards as possible rather than an increased likelihood for a card or two.

JYoder
04-14-2014, 08:01 PM
You can win going attack heavy (points from pool) or "cash" heavy (points from cards) or a combo of both, which is part of the fun. But it's very tactical and certainly there's luck in the draw and from new cards in the middle.

As for banishing cards, you almost always want to get rid of your starting cards -- they are weak, worth 0 points, and take up valuable real estate. Also can be worthwhile to banish others, but those are much more conditional.

Colgha
04-14-2014, 08:10 PM
You can win going attack heavy (points from pool) or "cash" heavy (points from cards) or a combo of both, which is part of the fun. But it's very tactical and certainly there's luck in the draw and from new cards in the middle.

As for banishing cards, you almost always want to get rid of your starting cards -- they are weak, worth 0 points, and take up valuable real estate. Also can be worthwhile to banish others, but those are much more conditional.

Ah, I didn't realize the starting cards sucked. I just started using the Arha Sensei to ditch an Apprentice for a Mystic or a Militia for a Heavy Infantry, because I feel like that makes sense. But I just didn't get why one would just banish a card for no reason, now I do... kinda. :)

Thanks!

Also, I will definitely be posting more questions so stay tuned.

Adam
04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm Adam Palma. Feel free to invite me to a game any time.

JYoder
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Ah, I didn't realize the starting cards sucked. [...] But I just didn't get why one would just banish a card for no reason, now I do... kinda. :)

Like any deck builder, the basic cards you start with are just that... basic. By the time you get a healthy deck, the fewer basic cards you have, the better, as they prevent you from drawing your better cards. Not that you have to banish cards -- there are other ways to work the system, such as drawing extra cards, putting cards directly in your hand or top of deck, etc. So while banishing weak cards is good, if you get too focused on it, then by the time you have a lean, mean, deck machine, the game has ended and someone else has won.

Having only 30 points per player in the pool makes for good balance with different strategies among players. Otherwise, if you play solo on Ascension, and make the points pool really high, then once you've banished a lot of those weak cards (which would normally be closer to end game) you'll find there's still a lot of game left, and you'll rack up points because your deck is now quite powerful, and if opponents haven't done the same, you'll dominate. I've gotten into an infinite loop of turns that way a couple of times, but after I reached 1000 points or so, I kill the game as I've more than won.

Colgha
04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the run down, I really appreciate it :)

Hopefully I can apply it to these games!

And 1000 points?!?! Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!

Adam
04-15-2014, 02:14 PM
There are some tricks for taking infinite turns. If you do that, you can get to any score by bopping a cultist a turn. Someone on the Ascension forums did this with a few other clever tricks to obtain every hero, construct, and monster in his deck (and in the process leave his opponents and the center deck with 0 cards each).

Colgha
09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
There are some tricks for taking infinite turns. If you do that, you can get to any score by bopping a cultist a turn. Someone on the Ascension forums did this with a few other clever tricks to obtain every hero, construct, and monster in his deck (and in the process leave his opponents and the center deck with 0 cards each).

So it was a glitch?

Also, I need to get better at this game...

Adam
09-03-2014, 06:30 PM
No, it wasn't a glitch. I forget the details. He may have needed to set the total honor pool to a higher total to make it last long enough for the deck to deplete, but I'm not sure.

Colgha
09-03-2014, 06:35 PM
No, it wasn't a glitch. I forget the details. He may have needed to set the total honor pool to a higher total to make it last long enough for the deck to deplete, but I'm not sure.

That's nuts, I need to figure out how to make that happen!

JYoder
10-30-2014, 01:36 PM
FYI, there's a sale now for the 2 other exps. Darkness Unleashed is $2 and Rise of Vigil is $1.

I nabbed them but not yet tried them, but I know they bring some new mechanics.

Colgha
10-30-2014, 02:49 PM
FYI, there's a sale now for the 2 other exps. Darkness Unleashed is $2 and Rise of Vigil is $1.

I nabbed them but not yet tried them, but I know they bring some new mechanics.

I've bought them already. ;)

I reaaaally like Darkness Unleashed.

JYoder
01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Wow. I thought its been a while since we all played, so I loaded the game, only to see we've had a match going... and I only had 5 hours left until I timed out! Bizarre, since we're each set to 600+ hours! Sorry about that, but funny I happened to think of today. Crazy.

Olivier
01-09-2015, 12:28 AM
I don't own any expansion so maybe that's why but I'm not a huge fan of Ascension. I very seldom feel like I have to make important decisions as the best card to get is usually obvious. I also feel that it's very luck-based, to the extent that the AI regularly beats me, even when buying bad cards and systematically avoiding the best card in the base game (arbiter of the precipice). In comparison, I feel more in control with Tanto cuore.

JYoder
01-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe Tanto Cuore gives more control (never played it) and I agree that Ascension has a good dose of luck, though that's not uncommon for deck builders. But I don't think choices are always obvious. The order you play cards can matter and I usually beat the AI, so I rarely play it. It fact, I had a game where I set myself into an endless loop of turns, and finally killed it once I reached 1000 points. Online, with 2 player games, I've won twice as many as I've lost, and with 4 player, I've won half out of 30+ games. You can get a string of good or bad luck that elevates or deflates you, no question, but there's a bit more to it. I find it a decent, not too intense, diversion.

Though I do have the 3 exps: RotF, SoS, and Immortal Heroes, which I'm sure adds a lot. I don't even remember what only playing the base game is like anymore.

Adam
01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Yea, the AI isn't too great. I can see how you'd get that perception from a few plays, but it doesn't hold up with experience.

I particularly love the most recent expansion on iOS. They replaced one card from the print version, and it went from being a huge luckfest to being the most entertaining set yet, and this after saying they didn't feel the card was broken (Sage of the Lucid Dreams). Really glad they took fan feedback into consideration. Makes me excited for the game's future whereas before I was thinking of giving up on it and just sticking to the first couple blocks or my cube.

Olivier
01-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Yes that's why I mentioned I only own the base set. Thing is it doesn't make me want to own the rest. I have played MANY games, about the same as Tanto Cuore. tanto cuore has more depth IMO. The AI will never beat me, ascension's AI can. But that's base set vs base set obviously.

Adam
01-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Ascension's AI never beats me. If that is a way to determine depth, it may be you are just missing something. But I haven't played Tanto Cuore, so I can't compare.

Waterd
01-10-2015, 12:31 PM
I donīt care about ascension but just had to jump in after seeing this comment in new posts. If the ai beats somebody or not, is in no way a parameter for depth.

Olivier
01-10-2015, 12:57 PM
It is a paremter: if we're playing just dice and the higher number wins then AI is going to win 50% of the time. If the game has depth I'm gonna win more. SW AI, i don't even care playing because there is close to zero percent chance it beats me. Tanto Cuore, If it happens I'm very surprised. Ascension, it happens, even though the AI makes terrible decisions. This is a strong sign for me that i'm not so much in control. Don't get me wrong, I still play the game once in a while, i just don't feel like my winning or losing is because of my playStyle, just i got lucky or not.

Colgha
01-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Ascension doesn't require as much thinking which is actually why I like it. Especially in app form, it's entertaining enough to keep doing and doing and it's quick a easy enough to do it quickly. So I knock out like 6 turns in a minute and go about my day. I think it's also a fun little thing to do before bed. Just a quick game against the AI and done. That's just my opinion though...

Also there is no question luck is involved, but that's what simplifies it for me (which as I said I don't mind). The other thing is that I like to try and get the game center achievements. They're somewhat challenging and make it a bit more fun without putting as much emphasis on winning or losing.

Olivier
01-10-2015, 08:58 PM
This is actually my view on Ascension too, Colgha. I don't hate it! It is A fun little game as an app. I like to play it with a 10 min time format. SW, I like 14 days coz i need to think

Adam
01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
I don't know that I agree with it being a way to determine depth. I was just chiming in to say that if it is, then Ascension succeeds, based on my experience with the AI. I do enjoy a lot of games that would fail the "skilled player vs very basic AI" test, too, though, so I understand where you guys are coming from.

JYoder
01-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Now I wonder if we'll have to wait 20 days for Ranior to time out. Sorry I messed up the timing of this one.

joancasti
03-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Man, ascension is so fun, why the hell does it have to be for a limited time?

JYoder
04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Colgha and Aratrea, I now own and have tried two more exps (RoV and DU, but no promos) so for our next game, if both of you have them and know what sets are best to include, I'd be willing to try them with you.

What I've found with them, is you can get some HUGE point swings. Kind of crazy.

Colgha
04-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it took me a while, but I think I finally love RoV and DU. It really makes the game less boring by adding another aspect to think about.

Jormi_Boced
05-03-2015, 10:41 PM
I play Ascension online sometimes.

JYoder
05-06-2015, 10:18 AM
I play Ascension online sometimes.

I tried to add your name to my friends list in Ascension but it couldn't find you. Do you use different name there?

Jormi_Boced
05-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Jormi Boced should do the trick.

Colgha
05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Welcome to our little club! :p

JYoder
05-19-2015, 02:43 AM
Jormi, the app didn't end your turn, so you're hanging in limbo. That's happened to me too from a badly timed disconnect.

Jormi_Boced
05-19-2015, 01:19 PM
sorry

It is remedied.

Jormi_Boced
05-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Good game guys! I can't accept the one invite, I think I need to buy something?

Colgha
05-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Good game guys! I can't accept the one invite, I think I need to buy something?

GG! That's probably the case, what expansions do you have? We can just work around them. :)

Jormi_Boced
05-22-2015, 11:19 PM
I dunno, I bought a bundle that I thought had them all, but guess not. I am fine with buying them, anyway to just get them all

JYoder
05-22-2015, 11:34 PM
The other 2 exps I have, which I included in that game, are RoV and DU. After a while, I assumed you couldn't accept the game so I deleted it. It introduces the new resource Energy. If you get them, feel free to sent us all an invite, but don't feel you have to as I'm fine with what we've been doing. GGS!

JYoder
06-04-2015, 10:57 PM
FYI, when making new games, I now have all exps and promos. Is that true for everyone else?

Jormi_Boced
06-05-2015, 12:04 AM
I have almost all. Getting there, have been buying like one a week since playing with you guys.

Jormi_Boced
08-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Server down?

JYoder
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Jormi, I've only turned down your latest invites because I don't have the new exp. Is it worth getting? What does it add?

Jormi_Boced
09-25-2015, 02:19 PM
NP, I have been enjoying it. Adds new hero mechanic and rally, as well as more multi class cards.

Robert Srzednicki
12-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Ok. I just downloaded Ascension and bought all the expansions (except Promos). Of course, i started to play "online". I really like this game (so far i lost only one match:)). I'm not familiar with the newer exps so - at the moment - I'm using only CotG and RotF for "online" games.
Feel free to invite me. ID - Nadhir 99.

Jormi_Boced
01-02-2016, 09:07 PM
I added you as a Playdek friend.

Robert Srzednicki
01-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Yes, i know. I joined the game. Honestly, i'm not familiar with these new exps but i'll try to read the cards "on the fly".:)

JYoder
02-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Jormi, Robert, Snalgo -- FYI, I now have all exps in case whoever starts the next game wants to change anything, but I don't know what everyone else has. I like some things in the newer stuff, but overall it makes the game feel even more luck dependent, so I'm good with whatever.

Jormi_Boced
02-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Jormi, Robert, Snalgo -- FYI, I now have all exps in case whoever starts the next game wants to change anything, but I don't know what everyone else has. I like some things in the newer stuff, but overall it makes the game feel even more luck dependent, so I'm good with whatever.

I am willing to play whatever combination. I think I still need to pick up the last one, but want to give it a shot sometime.

Jormi_Boced
10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Anyone want to help me get the assassin achievement? I will return the favor. Seems like it will be impossible to get without help.

JYoder
10-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Since upgrading to iOS 10, I have no Game Center app. So there are no more achievements for any games. Or am I missing something?

Jormi_Boced
10-05-2016, 05:27 PM
I am on Android. Ascension has 56 achievements. I have unlocked 31 of them.

snalg
10-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Anyone want to help me get the assassin achievement? I will return the favor. Seems like it will be impossible to get without help.
I already have it. If you want send me 10 games and I will proceed to lose them.

Jormi_Boced
10-10-2016, 03:57 PM
I already have it. If you want send me 10 games and I will proceed to lose them.

Thank you! I sent you the challenges:)

snalg
10-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Thank you! I sent you the challenges:)
I forfeited all 10 matches you previously sent. Did you not accomplish the achievement? If not I think the app does no count forfeits as wins which is the case for the SW app and we may actually have to play through them (I will pass through every turn), so we may have to play 3-day games or something.

Jormi_Boced
10-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Forfeits don't work. I might be able to play through them if you time out though? Otherwise I will send three days.

snalg
10-10-2016, 10:39 PM
But in some of the 10 min games you might time out before me because you are the first player in some games. Also I am under the impression that time out is same as forfeiting and does not counts as win?
Alternatively we can designate a specific time to go through 10 or 30 minute games.

Jormi_Boced
10-11-2016, 09:07 AM
That might be best, if we do 3 day ones I would have to suspend any other games I have going. I will PM you.