PDA

View Full Version : Future board games?

AlexanderTF
06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Got a bullet shot to my head with an interesting idea ... could be a bit to extravagant and obnoxiously stupid but might be interesting as hell ...

I was thinking of crossing computer platforms with boardgames to make them more accessible and interactive on a systematic computer scale.... With the use of those table computers that function as tables and computers a system built to randomly construct dungeons, monster dice roll results and voice the story parts could make those player vs game master games into a more accessible players vs system games where it could also count as a co-op game...

Games like D&D could be made a bit more manageable cause, when I tried to play it with my friends I got lost with the market and we only managed about 30 minuets in a dungeon - with a table computer (and in case you don't understand I mean those computers that are used as the table itself with the screen extending through the whole thing), one could access his characters registered playtime inventory and see witch equipment can be used, they're effects and what would be the best choice in items... I learned that the choice for a priest with a staff to carry the lamp and run next to a spider was a bad one .... Also using magnetic figures to represent the character and his location on the screen's projected map would utilize the computer systems ability to recognize errors in mid game to avoid game breaking problems like in a mistake with the clues playing Mansions of Madness (a game by Fantasy Flight games) ... such a game system could change the usual table top games and to make it on even grounds there should be at least a half year delay in release of a board game and a digital copy for the system... also at least a USB connection to save game progress if ppl choose to play story games that can extend to months and years ....

Personally I think its an interesting concept but would still need a lot of work to be fully effective ....

Ryujin
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Would you have to purchase these screen-tables individually or would they be installed in public places? It is a very interesting idea, but hard to actually pull off. Also, if the screen-tables wee installed in public places, what would they cost? Cost per hour? Free with lots of advertisements?
But if I go past monies and look at the actual idea, then yeah, it would would be pretty sweet. I think I actually saw something like this at Origins... But might have been nothing but a computer screen. I was just passing by.
Finally, I have to point out- have you ever put a magnet up to a computer or TV screen?

AlexanderTF
06-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Would be better to be used in public gamer coffees ... and I'm not sure about the magnets could use some sort of transmitter to recognize the figures ... The cost could be manageable by the hour if a group of five would participate and the cost would be somewhere like ... 30$ an hour then 6$ from each would be sorta acceptable but any further discounts and membership cards usage would have to be decided by the public institution itself ... same with the cost ... I just think it would be an interesting way to spend time ... besides, its not like the tables can only be used for some games, can be used for internet browsing, information search and such so I think there wouldn't be a low demand on usage ... but would take time to be properly implicated ...

Anyway if someone can afford to purchase a table of they're own then that's they're choice ....